MD20 feed problems

Hope im not asking something already covered here.

Finally got to test out my MD20's tuesday. one fit, one didnt. since im planning to sell one im happy with the one that fit out of the box.

however, with the drum that already fit, i had a fair amount of ftf problems. the round would get about halfway into the chamber before hanging up. i could either push the bolt carrier forward to feed it, or charge it again. however, i only got one complete 20 round run out of it. tried a dab of oil to the ramp but it didnt help. is this something i can adjust the spring for? any help appreciated.

Ammo type? Is the S-12 broken in or not? Gas setting right?

As for the other one not fitting there is a whole page of instructions in the box on how to file just a touch off either the A or B side (mine was all "A" side fitting) to get the 2nd drum to lock up.

Ammo type? Is the S-12 broken in or not? Gas setting right?

As for the other one not fitting there is a whole page of instructions in the box on how to file just a touch off either the A or B side (mine was all "A" side fitting) to get the 2nd drum to lock up.

It sounds like the Saiga's not broke in to me also.

Hope im not asking something already covered here.

Finally got to test out my MD20's tuesday. one fit, one didnt. since im planning to sell one im happy with the one that fit out of the box.

however, with the drum that already fit, i had a fair amount of ftf problems. the round would get about halfway into the chamber before hanging up. i could either push the bolt carrier forward to feed it, or charge it again. however, i only got one complete 20 round run out of it. tried a dab of oil to the ramp but it didnt help. is this something i can adjust the spring for? any help appreciated.

Dee, Let me know the exact ammo being used and I should have a simple solution for you.

As far as one fitting and one not... That has me very puzzled. There shouldn't be that much differece from one to the other. Better try it again before doing any fitting. Also if you do any fitting be sure to read the instructions well and view the thread and video link here. You don't want to do the "B" before you are damn certain it isn't the "A" fitting. The very most fitting performed will be the "A" fitting. Also If you do need to fit I would have to guess it will only need a super duper minimum amount done since one fit. Go very slow and check often! I have to run but will check back early tomorrow.

sorry i should have known to mention the ammo used. it was wallyworld cheap red and black birdshot, with a few KO slugs thrown in randomly. No difference in function between the ammo types. Just liked to hang up now and then.

as far as being broken in, it is a fairly well used shotty with the agp mags.

im not worried about one not locking up as i am going to sell it and let the buyer fit it to their s12 if need be.

i just want to know if i can decrease the FTFs.

The wallyworld winchester universal gave my drum problems last week when I had it out. Both the gun and the mag ran fine before with the wallyworld ammo but with how cold it was (single digits) I believe something happened to increase drag on the bolt and not let the gun cycle.

So that might be an issue if you're in a frozen climate

sorry i should have known to mention the ammo used. it was wallyworld cheap red and black birdshot, with a few KO slugs thrown in randomly. No difference in function between the ammo types. Just liked to hang up now and then.

as far as being broken in, it is a fairly well used shotty with the agp mags.

im not worried about one not locking up as i am going to sell it and let the buyer fit it to their s12 if need be.

i just want to know if i can decrease the FTFs.

Dee, By red and black do you mean Winchester Universal? I've found the best 100rd value pack birdshot is the Federal, then Remington, and last (worst) Winchester Universal.

I would say that reducing the spring tension by a half or a full rotation would clean this up.

You may not need to do this if you polish the rubbing surfaces; the bottom of the bolt and bolt carrier, and the top of the hammer. You will know the areas that need polishing because the black finish will be worn there. Another thing you can do to reduce drag is to very slightly break the bottom corner edges of the feedlips. The edge that the rim rides on. Doing this will make the feedlips not cut into the rim as much and let the shell strip with a lot less drag and friction. (You can manually strip a shell, slowly, to see the edge I'm talking about and see the cut on the rim caused by it)

As far as the KO's hanging up... I am betting that any round that followed a fired KO didn't hang. I am also betting that any KO that did hang up was being loaded by a fired low brass round. Can you confirm this? (KOs and other high brass loads fired on the low brass setting cause extra wear and banging in your gun and shouldn't be mixed with low brass, at least not as a regular thing)

After you've had a chance to trouble shoot some of the tips please post your results here.

On the drum that didn't lock up... would you try care to give it another try for me?

After you've had a chance to trouble shoot some of the tips please post your results here.

On the drum that didn't lock up... would you try care to give it another try for me?

1- will do

2- one the drum that didnt, i took the probelm drum, now unloaded, and stuck it in, locked up no problem. i did try to lock it up loaded at teh range several times, so i dont think it was a fluke. my best guess is maybe the last round wasnt loaded right, protruding a bit, and got in the way???? im really puzzled.

btw the red ammo was the winchester, the black was some other cheapo i had lying around that i mixed in. ill try to pick up a box of federal.

• 5 months later...