Anybody shoot clays with their 19"?

I have a 19" S12 on the way to me (should be at my FFL's place on Tuesday :super: ), and was wondering if anyone shoots clays with these? Specifically, the 19" model.

It's something my dad has expressed interest in, and I'd like to try it too.

Looking for some feedback on doing this.

(Side note: clay shooting=trap shooting, no? I've always heard the separate terms, but thought it was the same thing :unsure: )

They're the same,also skeet and sporting clays fall into the group.

As for shooting them with a 19",I have two that I take out about every other weekend just for kicks and theyre great for it.You can get them repeat shots out fast for doubles or first misses.

Aaaaah, skeet!!! I absolutely love Skeet with this gun! Trap - well, you can defiantly do it, but you'd better get them quick & early as they fly out of the house! I have not tried Sporting Clay yet with this gun.

Skeet_01.jpg

Aaaaah, skeet!!! I absolutely love Skeet with this gun! Trap - well, you can defiantly do it, but you'd better get them quick & early as they fly out of the house! I have not tried Sporting Clay yet with this gun.

post-3-1233409066_thumb.jpg

Hey Makc is that South River?

I have shot clays a few times with both my 19" S-12 and my 19" .410. This is my brother in law trying, he was missing a bunch until this shot.

th_072fb4ee.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138

I have shot skeet and it was a pain in the ass more so because of the range rules. If it is a one shot one shell, if two two shells, bolt locked if not shooting. Fiddling with the magazine was a nuisance too. An over and under or a tube gun was a lot easier to deal with.

I think the poly choke helps. I was using mine to tighten the pattern for longer range. I didn't have range rules to worry about like other people so I was just bump firing as acruate as possible till I hit it. The only problem I had was trying to sight the clay. If you want to be any good you will need to get a better sight that is just stock on the saiga. I don't know if anyone else has had a sighting problem doing clays but I think it might have been that I was using 7 1/2 bird shot at a high angle over 50 yards...

I have shot skeet and it was a pain in the ass more so because of the range rules. If it is a one shot one shell, if two two shells, bolt locked if not shooting. Fiddling with the magazine was a nuisance too. An over and under or a tube gun was a lot easier to deal with.

love the avatar. Oddball.

Kelly's Hero's was one of the best WW2 movie's ever.

I loved the T34 dressed up as Tiger 1's.

We had to deal with that at the local range. Idiots didn't want you to fully load your gun no matter what. Even the guy who volunteered there thought it was BS. We basically waited until the Range Nazi wandered off and resumed loading as before. It's impossible to get proper training when you can't practice followup shots if you miss. I understand some rules are there for safety, but when your rules have no effect if proper gun safety is followed in the first place, and severely impede upon training, that is just stupid. Their argument was that someone could put a gun back in the rack with one in the tube. Of course, if they had positioned the racks properly in the first place, with the muzzle past the firing line and pointed downrange and up at a 45 degree angle, that would not have been a problem, would it?

Edited by Mike the Wolf

I too have done some clay shooting with my converted 19".

Kreb's sights did help with accuracy over the stock parts, though I'm hoping to get more range capability with my recently added slotless polychoke (otherwise, yes, you need to be quick before they are out of range).

Main gripe....range rules...1 shell loaded per clay, which meant 2 in the gun for me. I certainly was fumbling around a lot, and was skipped several times in rotation because of it. Even with four 5 round mags at my disposal, this was still a problem. Both guys I was shooting with had tube fed guns and found this one flaw of what is a greatly superior firearm to be quite amusing (that is, until a horde of zombies came out of the adjacent field and devoured them both).

Someone needs to fab up a modded 5 round that can be loaded while left in the gun ala tube fed style. I think it would be possible, and have considered butchering one of my Taiwanese units for this purpose.

However, I am glad to say my gun feeds clay loads flawlessly (all wal-mart stuff: rem, win, and federal). I attribute this mostly to the addition of Gunfixr's tool-less gas knob as I have done no other alterations that would affect reliability in this context. I will note that my gun has either 3 or 4 gas ports with no real blocking issues (all are entirely or mostly visible when viewed through gas block).

We had to deal with that at the local range. Idiots didn't want you to fully load your gun no matter what. Even the guy who volunteered there thought it was BS. We basically waited until the Range Nazi wandered off and resumed loading as before. It's impossible to get proper training when you can't practice followup shots if you miss. I understand some rules are there for safety, but when your rules have no effect if proper gun safety is followed in the first place, and severely impede upon training, that is just stupid. Their argument was that someone could put a gun back in the rack with one in the tube. Of course, if they had positioned the racks properly in the first place, with the muzzle past the firing line and pointed downrange and up at a 45 degree angle, that would not have been a problem, would it?

I don't think the range was at fault for your lack of respect to all the other shooters that shoot trap, skeet or sporting clays for pass-time , relaxation or tournaments. I assume you are talking Ben Avery. The gun racks are not put up for safety but a place to set shotguns when not in use. This includes any shotgun as long as it's in a safe condition. Autos, bolt open and empty. O/U: empty and with the action open while walking to and from. Pumps: Slide open and empty. Most people that shoot there are curtious and polite, take the game seriously and don't really need to put up with you or your kind. I have had to ask people to leave the range and I will do it again. Perhaps your best bet would be a trap machine from Wal-Mart and go up the road to Table Mesa. Your 12 dollars an outing will not be missed. I and a lot of other people spend 100 to 300 a week not counting shells shooting( most of us reload). Please stay home or go to Table Mesa with your Saiga. If you have another gun bring it and I will be happy to show you how to shoot, proper etiquette and range safety.

Jangles

Edited by Jangles
Please stay home or go to Table Mesa with your Saiga. If you have another gun bring it and I will be happy to show you how to shoot, proper etiquette and range safety.

Jangles

thats the spirit!

This gives me so much hope at being accepted at my local range.

Edited by Nailbomb

Nope, not even gonna try at my local range.

Here is what they have on their website under range rules.

Sorry no AK 47 or SKS or similar firearms allowed.

By similar we mean an AK or SKS that someone wants to call something else.

Other autoloaders are fine such as AR15's M1's and the like.

Why? If you were a Veteran you would understand. Please do not call us to debate the issue.

Like a previous poster noted, my $$ won't be missed, so I'm not going to give it to them no matter what gun I use.

"Sorry no AK 47 or SKS or similar firearms allowed.

Why? If you were a Veteran you would understand. Please do not call us to debate the issue."

That is fucked up. You bet that place wouldn't receive a squirt of piss from me.

Grandeyota,

I shoot Trap with my 19" Poly-choked at Markham Park (I-595 & I-75 interchange area in Ft. Lauderdale)

When I was shooting trap a lot, I was managing 20-23 out of 25.

I've been debating getting 5 Taiwanese mags, blocking them to 2rds and just sticking them in my pouch so I can do sporting clays with the Saiga. I mean, Blam, Blam, New mag, Rack bolt, PULL, Blam, Blam. Etc. etc.

I have a 19" S12 on the way to me (should be at my FFL's place on Tuesday :super: ), and was wondering if anyone shoots clays with these? Specifically, the 19" model.

It's something my dad has expressed interest in, and I'd like to try it too.

Looking for some feedback on doing this.

(Side note: clay shooting=trap shooting, no? I've always heard the separate terms, but thought it was the same thing :unsure: )

Its been one of my favorite things learning to shoot clays with the S12. it is so much fun and generally ppl give mad props for bein good at it. At my range there are a couple guys with saigas, a couple S20s but i'm pretty sure i'm the only one with the S12

I'm a veteran and i don't understand...

Bump! Me too... this is just stupid.

They are forgetting that a weapon is just a tool, no matter where it was forged, and are personifying the weapons with their past enemies. You know, like there was a Viet Cong inside each and every one of the Commie made rifles waiting to come out and ruin their fine range.

Bullshit. I will shoot out in the boonies before I will deal with people who think like that.

I'm a veteran and i don't understand...

Bump! Me too... this is just stupid.

They are forgetting that a weapon is just a tool, no matter where it was forged, and are personifying the weapons with their past enemies. You know, like there was a Viet Cong inside each and every one of the Commie made rifles waiting to come out and ruin their fine range.

Bullshit. I will shoot out in the boonies before I will deal with people who think like that.

Its not like owning a commie gun is like owning a import car...

anyone who drives a prius obviously hates america...

Nope, not even gonna try at my local range.

Here is what they have on their website under range rules.

Sorry no AK 47 or SKS or similar firearms allowed.

Why? If you were a Veteran you would understand. Please do not call us to debate the issue.

Like a previous poster noted, my $$ won't be missed, so I'm not going to give it to them no matter what gun I use.

What if I am a veteran from the side that won? They're in this country too. I've yet to see anyone with the balls to try to tell someone with the bonafides they're banned from using the weapons they used against US troops forty years ago.

An easy fix would be a discrimination suit but that's the world you people made here.