10 round pro mag magazines

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you can answer your question since you already bought them. time to buy some rounds and break them in . post a thread back on there performance . iam looking to buy some. good luck :super::super::super:

Thanks!! I cannot wait to get out and break this gun in!! How many mags do you recommend...I know I am going to catch hell for asking, but I have about 12 for my AR.

I have 6 of the Pro-mags and I have no issues with them. They load with ease and operate very well. I do not have jamming issues and have not had any tabs break. I oiled them very well before using them and fitted them by slightly taking down the side riser tabs to achieve a solid click lock. I like them especially because of their price tag.

DT

Where are these mags for sale?

What's the price of the mags? I've read on other posts around $25.00 per mag, is this price right?

Anybody got a pic of a mag?

The price has gone up they are selling for $49 most places now...I have 2 coming this week..I will post my results as soon as I try them!!! so far all I have heard is good on these. good luck!!

Try some High Brass shells, doesn't matter which length. The test mag I tried would not allow the high brass shells to advance to the top smoothly. It looked like the brass was dragging on the rough inside and I had to smack the mag to get the shells up. It may be a bad mag I have. The low brass was fine.

Inspect your spring also. The brand new one I have is already rusty out of the package.

Greg

Thanks for the info guys.

Just thought about how problematic pro mags were for AK and pistol mags, the S-12 mags seem to have mixed reiews.

And if the price is around $49 I'm going with AGP or Surefire mags!

Hey Greg, do you still have Surefire mags in stock?

I think we have 300 or so in today. First time we have actually had some on the shelf not spoken for. Lots more on order.

Greg

I have one I'll be testing today. I'll try it dry first, as I wasn't given any instructions about "oiling it"....You don't want oil inside a polymer mag. It will only attract dirt and debris and hold it there. If anything use graphite (#2 pencil will work if you color the follower guides), or you can wipe the insides down with Armorall or silicone spray to lube them up. If I have any hangups from any of the ammo I'm going to put through mine, I"ll try the silicone spray and see if that helps. I'll report back later. I've spoken to the rep at Promag and he's looking forward to hearing all news (good or bad) on test results.

I have 6 of the Pro-mags and I have no issues with them. They load with ease and operate very well. I do not have jamming issues and have not had any tabs break. I oiled them very well before using them and fitted them by slightly taking down the side riser tabs to achieve a solid click lock. I like them especially because of their price tag.

DT

From my experience, having oil or grease in your mags only attracts grit & debris and once it is inside

it does not come out. It can become very abrasive and cause mag malfunctions.

LB

DT

From my experience, having oil or grease in your mags only attracts grit & debris and once it is inside

it does not come out. It can become very abrasive and cause mag malfunctions.

LB

I am surprised Promag recommends oil on the inside walls of the mag. In my many years of shooting recreational and Military, Oil+Debris,Dirt and Gun Powder Residue=SLUDGE and will not work for long.

I agree with Cobra, Graphite is a much better alternative.

I am considering selling them as a less expensive alternative if I can sell them in the $35 range, not $50. They seem to work fine on the low brass shells as long as my customers understand that is what I recommend. I am very interested in further testing results by everyone.

Greg

Here is a copy of the instructions I received with the pro-mags in the mail.

NOTE: To insure proper operation of your new mag it may be necessary to oil it internally and externally(where applicable) BEFORE you attempt to use it.

After you have oiled it manually check to make sure the follower moves

freely and the ammunition loads and feeds properly and the mag inserts

easily and releases properly.

I understand what you guys are saying about having sludge build up, but its not like your just dumping oil in the mag. I took the mags apart and lightly oiled them using a soft cotton cloth. I then lightly oiled the spring and reassembled the mag. If build was to occur for what ever reason it would take no more than 5 minutes to clean the mag.

DT

Here is a copy of the instructions I received with the pro-mags in the mail.

NOTE: To insure proper operation of your new mag it may be necessary to oil it internally and externally(where applicable) BEFORE you attempt to use it.

After you have oiled it manually check to make sure the follower moves

freely and the ammunition loads and feeds properly and the mag inserts

easily and releases properly.

I understand what you guys are saying about having sludge build up, but its not like your just dumping oil in the mag. I took the mags apart and lightly oiled them using a soft cotton cloth. I then lightly oiled the spring and reassembled the mag. If build was to occur for what ever reason it would take no more than 5 minutes to clean the mag.

DT

Any amount of oil no matter how light will catch debris and create problems. Graphite is a much better choice. Yes it only takes 5 minutes to pull a mag apart and clean it, but Murphy's Law seems to happen at the most inconvenient times. Why take that chance?

Greg

Greg,

I understand and know where your coming from my friend, and I appreciate all of your valuable input here. I in no way am saying your comments are off track. You are one who's input here I value immensely. I am just pointing out that I live in Las Vegas, so yea its a crappy desert. I have taken the pro-mags out into the desert and through them on the ground (intensionally) kicked a couple of them around in the dirt (again intensionally) and then locked them in and let um rip. I did all this just for the sake of posting an honest review of the magazine for those on this site. I really do not believe the small amount of oil I rubbed on the inner walls of the magazine is going to cause an issue for me or anyone else who does it. Now if someone was to liberally oil the shit out of the mag, I would have to be in full agreement. After I oiled the mag ever so lightly, I then wiped down the inners with a clean dry cotton rag. As for the amount of oil I placed on the mag spring, again just a very light coat followed by a clean dry cloth. I took apart the magazines after I test fired 150 rounds through them and they looked great. I rubbed the inner walls with my finger and found no evidence of sludging. I will agree there was a little dust but remember what I did to them for the sake of having an honest and true test for all of us. I know for a fact that if I keep one of these mags in the house fully loaded after doing what I described as preconditioning and needed the mag to perform one night when a zombie came around, it would. That is all I am saying. I do not believe enough oil was used or remained in the mag to cause any issues. I do appreciate all of your input and maybe I didn't explain how little oil I used followed by a clean cloth wipe down. Thank you to all of you guys who make this forum what it is today.

DT

Edited by DTrom

I appreciate your reviews and encourage anyone with them to do lots of different tests like you are. Like I had mentioned in another post, I am considering carrying them if I can be competitive on pricing and the reviews look good. I do not want to sell anything that does not work properly or customers will have problems with.

Everyone's inputs and experiences is what make this forum so great.

Greg

Well I hope the mag I got is a fluke, because it jammed on almost every shot using Federal 3 dram 7 1/2 shot (Value pak multi purpose loads) I also tried some high brass like Remy sluggers and some S&B 00 Buck.

Everything fed low and hung up on the breech. I know it would probably work fine in my other gun that's been throated and polished, but my intention was to test it out in a regular stock S-12.

I'll be contacting Promag today and asking them what's up with the mag not having room inside for high brass, and also if they have made any changes to the feed angle of the follower, as this one at least, needs to be angled much higher. I think I already know what the problem is. It's the same problem that is making it not so good with the LRBHO. The follower has way too much movement front to back, and is rocking forward way too much. That could be causing it to hang up on the breech. I'm going to try shimming it to prevent that rocking, and see how it does then.

And one more good thing about the Pro-mag is the fact that it has a lifetime warranty. I am still seeing them in stock for around $30. ajaxgrips.com. Thank you Greg for the kind words and input.

DT

ajaxgrips.com will take an order- but I emailed them, and they're NOT in stock... will be about 2 weeks before they get the next shipment

That being said, Ajaxgrips has the best price I've seen that can be ordered... there a a few other sites listing them around $25, but they list as backordered, and are not accepting orders...

I love to see $30 become the new standard price for 10-round Saiga-12 mags, I have a hard time paying $50 for 'em..

no offense to those buying/selling at that price- I believe in a free market- I just won't pay that much, which is my freedom to NOT buy..

but I seriously doubt it, since Promag's website lists them at $49.60...

Edited by Lunyfringe
And one more good thing about the Pro-mag is the fact that it has a lifetime warranty. I am still seeing them in stock for around $30. ajaxgrips.com. Thank you Greg for the kind words and input.

DT

ajaxgrips.com will take an order- but I emailed them, and they're NOT in stock... will be about 2 weeks before they get the next shipment

That being said, Ajaxgrips has the best price I've seen that can be ordered... there a a few other sites listing them around $25, but they list as backordered, and are not accepting orders...

I love to see $30 become the new standard price for 10-round Saiga-12 mags, I have a hard time paying $50 for 'em..

no offense to those buying/selling at that price- I believe in a free market- I just won't pay that much, which is my freedom to NOT buy..

I would also like to see a Working mag around $30. As for the few tests Cobra and myself have done they are living up to the Promag name.

$30 is a great price if it worked. Maybe they will listen to Cobra and fix the problems. How's it go, you get what you pay for. Some people may never have a problem most will at this point.

I will not sell them if they don't fix their problems.

Greg

DT

I would also like to see a Working mag around $30. As for the few tests Cobra and myself have done they are living up to the Promag name.

$30 is a great price if it worked. Maybe they will listen to Cobra and fix the problems. How's it go, you get what you pay for. Some people may never have a problem most will at this point.

I will not sell them if they don't fix their problems.

Greg

I have shot 250+ various rounds through the Promag I bought as a test. I have not had a single issue to date. I would not have any reluctance recommending these mags. Truly a great value. Do some research and you will find plenty of issues with most, if not all, of the other manufactures products as well.

No matter what you buy or what you are into there will be different pieces of hardware of different quality at various pricing. This is the case here. Some people do not like or reccomend the pro-mag due to their experience with it. Others have had no issues with it. I personally know of the AGP's breaking apart on the first round fired. I have not had the luxery yet to test a surefire mag. I have 4 AGP's and 6 pro-mags. I am lucky with the AGP's. None of them have broke. I guess I am equally as lucky with the pro-mags. To date they are operating perfectly. If I was asked my honest opinion, I would have to reccomend the Pro-mag based soley on my experience. I trust Cobra's and Greg's experiences, to the fullest, that just has not been my experience.

DT

It's a well known fact that any injection molded mag can differ from one batch to the next. The issue with the high brass hanging up in the mag, appears to me to be only at the very top. The mag I have, and the one I sent Greg, could just be from a batch that cooled a little differently, and thus are a little tight there. This is easily remedied with some light sanding. They have clearance at the rear, where the low brass is going through ok. It's just an area a little forward of that which is lightly sqeezing on the brass of the magnum shells. I messed around with one today for awhile and could see that right away.

As far as the issue I was having with the Federal shells feeding low and hanging up there in the breech...I'm pretty sure that rocking follower has a lot to do with that.

With any mag like this, the top few shells are going to have a tendency to nose down some, because of the way they stack up in the mag. With each additional shell after the first, the shell rim jacks the column up in the rear. By the time you get 10 - 12 shells stacked up, that's a lot of downward angle being added. When you have a follower that rocks forward like that, it can cause a problem. The factory mags don't do it.

I noticed that if I loaded the mag full and inserted it on an open bolt....no problems at all. But take the same mag, load it up, and insert it on a closed bolt, then see what happens....the entire column is forced downward at the front, and they will feed low and hang up on the breech. I tested this theory a few times today in an unmodified S-12. After I'm done throating and polishing the breech / "feed ramp", I'm sure it will become less of a problem. I want to address the extra play in the follower though, and see what happens....

The only other issue I'm concerned about (since it appears the polymer has sufficient strength) right now is, I picked through a stack of 5 mags at the gun show, and 4 out of those 5 had followers that were coming up past the stops and hitting the feed lips. This isn't good. The bolt is going to slam right into the back of the follower. And before people start seeing that and getting LRBHO jollies :rolleyes: ...the mag is probably not going to take that kind of abuse for very long. I have seen this same thing happen with some AGP mags too though.

Cobra, Thank you for the explanation. I will test the same. I will load the magazine and insert it on a closed bolt. I did not do that. Everytime I inserted my mags, the bolt was open. I will perform and let you know what happens. I did see some movement on the follower but really didn't take much concern due to the fact that all shells loaded and fired. I will screw around more indepth with these. I guess I need to blow through another 300+ rounds this weekend. I'll post back.

DT

The only other issue I'm concerned about (since it appears the polymer has sufficient strength) right now is, I picked through a stack of 5 mags at the gun show, and 4 out of those 5 had followers that were coming up past the stops and hitting the feed lips. This isn't good. The bolt is going to slam right into the back of the follower. And before people start seeing that and getting LRBHO jollies :rolleyes: ...the mag is probably not going to take that kind of abuse for very long. I have seen this same thing happen with some AGP mags too though.

hey! I have a few AGPs that do that, too, and I was seeing it as a bonus. Any thoughts on how to remedy the situation?

hey! I have a few AGPs that do that, too, and I was seeing it as a bonus. Any thoughts on how to remedy the situation?

Call AGP and get them to send you some new followers. If you have two mags and one of them stops where it should, switch the two followers and make sure it's the follower, not the mag body.

I had that same issue with the one I bought for testing. I fixed the problem easily. When you take the mag apart you will notice the follower is too narrow in the mag. The lugs on the follower that are supposed to stop it as it rides up in the grooves on the mag do not catch at the top. The follower has 'shrunken' after being molded.

THE FIX:

1) Take a wine cork and stab it with a fork. (Fix works better while drinking the wine!)

2) Insert cork/fork into follower causing the follower to bulge out.

3) Get a coffee cup big enough for the follower/cork/fork to fit into, and fill it with boiling hot water.

4) Using the fork, dunk the follower/cork into the boiling water for ONLY 10-15 seconds. IMMEDIATELY rise with cold water.

5) Remove cork from follower and test fit follower in mag. Repeat as necessary.

6) OPTIONAL: Finish bottle of wine to celebrate fixing your mag!

6A) OPTIONAL: Try saying 'follower/cork/fork' quickly and repeatedly after drinking bottle of wine. Hysterical!

post-14713-1233690320_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffD