10 round pro mag magazines

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one noticeable difference from the AGP to the Pro-mag is the spring tension. In the AGP mag more force is required to push down the follower. I believe this may have something to do with the shell nose diving a little when the mag is fully loaded. As far as all of the extra movement with the follower from front to back, I don't have that issue with the 6 Pro-mags I have. There is some movement, but no more than what my AGP mags have. I am going to swamp out the springs from an AGP to a Pro-mag and see if that corrects or at least lessens the shell nose angleing downward on a fully loaded mag. As far as the followers full range of motion, the pro-mag seems to have a much smoother feel to it than the AGP. I can feel "sticking" spots in a few places throughout the full stroke of the follower. Not really a big concern because this is easily rectified. After I swap the springs and yield a stronger spring tension in the Pro-mag, I will post back with my thoughts.

DT

I think one noticeable difference from the AGP to the Pro-mag is the spring tension. In the AGP mag more force is required to push down the follower. I believe this may have something to do with the shell nose diving a little when the mag is fully loaded. As far as all of the extra movement with the follower from front to back, I don't have that issue with the 6 Pro-mags I have. There is some movement, but no more than what my AGP mags have. I am going to swamp out the springs from an AGP to a Pro-mag and see if that corrects or at least lessens the shell nose angleing downward on a fully loaded mag. As far as the followers full range of motion, the pro-mag seems to have a much smoother feel to it than the AGP. I can feel "sticking" spots in a few places throughout the full stroke of the follower. Not really a big concern because this is easily rectified. After I swap the springs and yield a stronger spring tension in the Pro-mag, I will post back with my thoughts.

DT

got 1 ordered from AJAX today backordered -of course, 7 to 10 days they say ,I warned them they are going to get slammed because of their rock bottom pricing!

• 2 weeks later...
The only other issue I'm concerned about (since it appears the polymer has sufficient strength) right now is, I picked through a stack of 5 mags at the gun show, and 4 out of those 5 had followers that were coming up past the stops and hitting the feed lips. This isn't good. The bolt is going to slam right into the back of the follower. And before people start seeing that and getting LRBHO jollies :rolleyes: ...the mag is probably not going to take that kind of abuse for very long. I have seen this same thing happen with some AGP mags too though.

I had that same issue with the one I bought for testing. I fixed the problem easily. When you take the mag apart you will notice the follower is too narrow in the mag. The lugs on the follower that are supposed to stop it as it rides up in the grooves on the mag do not catch at the top. The follower has 'shrunken' after being molded.

THE FIX:

1) Take a wine cork and stab it with a fork. (Fix works better while drinking the wine!)

2) Insert cork/fork into follower causing the follower to bulge out.

3) Get a coffee cup big enough for the follower/cork/fork to fit into, and fill it with boiling hot water.

4) Using the fork, dunk the follower/cork into the boiling water for ONLY 10-15 seconds. IMMEDIATELY rise with cold water.

5) Remove cork from follower and test fit follower in mag. Repeat as necessary.

6) OPTIONAL: Finish bottle of wine to celebrate fixing your mag!

6A) OPTIONAL: Try saying 'follower/cork/fork' quickly and repeatedly after drinking bottle of wine. Hysterical!

post-14713-1233690320_thumb.jpg

Jeff, how is this fix holding up? Any problems with the follower returning to it's shrunken state, after putting some rounds through it?

I've got a ProMag and it seems I have the problem. See my pics in this post: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=322154 .

Also, it seems I'm going to need to fiddle with it to even insert into the gun more easily. It's a pain, as is.

The only other issue I'm concerned about (since it appears the polymer has sufficient strength) right now is, I picked through a stack of 5 mags at the gun show, and 4 out of those 5 had followers that were coming up past the stops and hitting the feed lips. This isn't good. The bolt is going to slam right into the back of the follower. And before people start seeing that and getting LRBHO jollies :rolleyes: ...the mag is probably not going to take that kind of abuse for very long. I have seen this same thing happen with some AGP mags too though.

I had that same issue with the one I bought for testing. I fixed the problem easily. When you take the mag apart you will notice the follower is too narrow in the mag. The lugs on the follower that are supposed to stop it as it rides up in the grooves on the mag do not catch at the top. The follower has 'shrunken' after being molded.

THE FIX:

1) Take a wine cork and stab it with a fork. (Fix works better while drinking the wine!)

3) Get a coffee cup big enough for the follower/cork/fork to fit into, and fill it with boiling hot water.

4) Using the fork, dunk the follower/cork into the boiling water for ONLY 10-15 seconds. IMMEDIATELY rise with cold water.

6A) OPTIONAL: Try saying 'follower/cork/fork' quickly and repeatedly after drinking bottle of wine. Hysterical!

Jeff, how is this fix holding up? Any problems with the follower returning to it's shrunken state, after putting some rounds through it?

I've got a ProMag and it seems I have the problem. See my pics in this post: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=322154 .

Also, it seems I'm going to need to fiddle with it to even insert into the gun more easily. It's a pain, as is.

My mod is still fine. I don't expect it to change. The follower probably 'shrunk' originally due to too rapid of cooling after being removed from the mold. Once heated and reshaped it shound retain its new shape.

Almost EVERY mag will require some degree of fitting to work in a Saiga. It's not so much to do with the mag but with the manufacturing variances in the Saiga itself.

JD 8^)

Edited by JeffD
  • 4 weeks later...

THE FIX:

I just tried this, and it worked great!! The follower no longer goes to the feedlips, and stops where it should.

Now, if I can just get the damn mag to lock into the damn gun. I got it to lock in once........just once, when I first got it and was test fitting it. Now I can't.

THE FIX:

I just tried this, and it worked great!! The follower no longer goes to the feedlips, and stops where it should.

Now, if I can just get the damn mag to lock into the damn gun. I got it to lock in once........just once, when I first got it and was test fitting it. Now I can't.

I love this site..You guys are the best when it comes to fixes...I was having the same problem with my promag..It would not fit in the magwell of my saiga 12..You need to shave off a little bit of the plastic by the metal feed lips..And that should fix the problem..Dont shave off too much just a little at a time and keep fitting until it clicks in..

So I ordered mine from thegunsource.com two weeks ago, and they showed up yesterday. They were $30.99/ea.

The fitting was quite easy. Took about 2 min/mag with a small file. Mags are now easy to "click in" but still nice and snug.

The followers are still too small. I don't have a wine cork in my house, but I do have a small hammer about the right size and a heat gun ($10 at Harbor Freight!) , which worked nicely. I widened the followers out and fixed that problem, but rounds 3-5 were refusing to chamber as I cycled the gun by hand. The front of the shell jammed between the bottom edge of the barrel and the part of the receiver that the bolt locks into. This occurred with all four mags. I worked on it for about 6 hours, filing here and there with no success.

Finally, I figured out that the follower is rocking in the mag body and allowing the noses of the rounds to drop down. The solution was to again use the heat gun to heat the followers and, using two pairs of pliers, bend the BACK edge of the follower out about 1/4 inch. This forces the front of the follower to stay in the up position. This allowed the gun to manually cycle all the rounds I tried, including the very high brass Rio 00 buck I have. Once I figured this out, it took about 5 minutes to fix each mag.

I'm excited to try these out & make sure they cycle during live fire. If Promag would get their followers made properly, they'd have some nice mags. As they are, I'm glad I only paid $30 for them.

I'm local to Ajax - they just got their shipment of ProMags in today and they had 300 when I called. I went over and picked up a couple for evaluation.

I may go back and get more later. They seem sturdy enough, but the two I got need fitting around the mag catch tab - I will have to remove material from the sides of the tab to get it to slot in properly. My S12 is a 2001-stamped EAA/Cocoa FL gun without BHO or muzzle threading, if anyone is collecting datapoints.

Edited by Spktyr
still waiting on ajax. about 5 weeks now i think.

Same here. Thinking about canceling the order and looking elsewhere.... :killer:

I just did this week!

Got the ProMags from Ajax yesterday. The look sturdier compared to my AGP, and hand cycled 2 3/4" shells with no problems. Will be a while before I get to use them in the gun, but overall I am happy with the workmanship at this stage...:)

Doe's anyone know if these are good or not? I just bought 2 and may purchase some more. I just bought my gun today...so I am a true newbie!!

i finally got the 2 i ordered from ajaxgrips a while back the other day (29 bucks a piece). it took just a few minutes to fit them and then i put 100rds though them with no problems at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Gen 2 of the Promag is out now. Ajax has them IN STOCK for $29.95 right now. Ordered 2 more early this week and got them today. I had spoken to a Ajax customer service rep last month while waiting on my original order, and they informed me they were waiting on the factory to finish making an entire new batch.

The fit and finish on these I have are every bit as good as my AGP Gen 2, and they are made of a harder polymer than the AGP also. They fit tighter in the gun than any other mag I have, including the factory 5, and no slop or wobble at all....

I believe Gen 2 of the Promag is out now. Ajax has them IN STOCK for $29.95 right now. Ordered 2 more early this week and got them today. I had spoken to a Ajax customer service rep last month while waiting on my original order, and they informed me they were waiting on the factory to finish making an entire new batch.

The fit and finish on these I have are every bit as good as my AGP Gen 2, and they are made of a harder polymer than the AGP also. They fit tighter in the gun than any other mag I have, including the factory 5, and no slop or wobble at all....

Could you send the link to ajax?

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/Saiga

Customer service for me was friendly enough, but they were back ordered to hell and i had to wait (well)over a month to get my mags.

I still havn't shot any of the 3 i got. They require more fitting than the taiwan 5 rnd mags. not to snap in mind you(fit to the gun) but drag on the inside was bad(for the rounds i'm trying to shoot). I kindof like how the AGPs could be taken apart to be cleaned up on the inside, made getting those tight spots a lot easier to get to.

I can say however that my follower dosn't seem to need the cork trick. And they do look nice.

but at this point i don't believe i would recomend them.

Could you send the link to ajax?

Here you go:

Ajax

I find reading about these magazine problems most interesting. Picked up my S12 a few days ago, but have yet to test it out. Figure using double ought and some slugs to break it in with the stock mag. Then I'll determine which mag to purchase. I must say that I like the price of the pro mag from AJAX even if a bit of fitting has to be done.