.308 conversion the saga continues

As I had posted earlier, I found myself dremmeling away on my .308 Saiga while cursing voluminously on the parentage of the stock trigger. A very short time later I had amazingly removed the bottom plate without damaging anything. Old fcg out... hit the phone and everybody is backordered. I had hoped to get a Dinzag group but he couldn't really tell me when it would be available. I found a Red Star group and it was here in 2 days!!!!!!!

After some false starts I got the group in and found that the bottom of the bolt carrier smacks the sear and refuses to come back without pushing down the hammer and sear with a punch.

I have VERY slightly radiused the bottom of the carrier and the top of the sear. Now it comes back with still a little smack.

Any Ideas????

Did I put something in wrong?

A

FYI... Per the guys at Red Star Arms I trimmed the top of the sear down some to clear the bolt carrier. OK that problem solved. The action is as smooth as an AK gets.

Next problem, cutting the pistol grip nut hole. I downloaded Shrecks diagram with the measurements, sat down with the reciever and some callipers...just didn't look right. I finally put the trigger guard on, pushed the pistol grip up against it and noted where the pistol grip screw stuck up through the old trigger hole. I marked the location on the inside of the reciever and used that as the midpoint for the nut. A little dremmel and file work and presto..perfect fit.

I can't recomend the Red Star Trigger Group too much. After some adjustment it breaks better than any assault rifle I have ever fired. That includes an Armalite match trigger.

I think I'm hooked on converting these rifles...hmmm 5.56 or '39..

Alex

im hooked too im looking at converting a 12 next buddy of mine is buying one after he saw mine hes gonna let me do the conversion. have you checked at dpharms or mississippi auto arms for furniture i ordered some stuff from MAA and it came in three days.

Edited by yugritin
im hooked too im looking at converting a 12 next buddy of mine is buying one after he saw mine hes gonna let me do the conversion. have you checked at dpharms or mississippi auto arms for furniture i ordered some stuff from MAA and it came in three days.

Fortunatly I had an extra butstock and pistol grip off some other AKs I had put M4 type stocks and grips on.

A