Saiga-12 or Express 870 HD

Thanks. I may go the unconverted route for now. Can an unconverted take more then 5 shell mags like the 10 or 20?

Thanks!

Only if you can get your hands on a Russian 8 rounder. Other than that, you will need to convert to use the "high-cap" mags.

Thanks. I may go the unconverted route for now. Can an unconverted take more then 5 shell mags like the 10 or 20?

Thanks!

Only if you can get your hands on a Russian 8 rounder. Other than that, you will need to convert to use the "high-cap" mags.

Could you please tell us why :)

Thought that only the wraithmaker required mods to the gun to function.

Edited by Loki

Thanks!

It is not a matter of function. It is a matter of Law.

Thanks!

You are probably fine, since you are in Iceland and more than likely, you don't have bullshit legislation like we do here in the States. :rolleyes:

Here in the States, we have to comply with some idiotic laws that state if we want to plug "high-cap" mags or add a pistol grip to our imported guns, we have to play this fun, little game where we have to swap out a certain number of imported parts with U.S. made parts.

Edited by TR Young

Thanks!

You are probably fine, since you are in Iceland and more than likely, you don't have bullshit legislation like we do here in the States. :rolleyes:

Didn't notice the Iceland location. my eyes are failing me :unsure:

Thanks!

Here in the States, we have to comply with some idiotic laws that state if we want to plug "high-cap" mags or add a pistol grip to our imported guns, we have to play this fun, little game where we have to swap out a certain number of imported parts with U.S. made parts.

Very weird laws :ded:

If you're on a tight budget, the 870 is a good HD firearm and will do the job.

I am fortunate enough to have a Saiga and a pump-gun (Winchester 1300) on either side of the bed. In a HD situation I would feel adequately armed with either...it just depends on which one wifey grabs first. ;)

I have a Saiga that my gunsmith is converting as I type. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites! After using my Para P-14 for years as a HD weapon, I finally bought this:

highstandard.jpg

HighStandard002.jpg

It is an old High Standard K-120 Riot. It is my understanding that this was the first shotgun to be offered from the factory with a full length mag tube. They are smooth as silk, and I picked it up for $180.

I now kinda figure that I want something with a light on it, so I've been looking at either a Mossy 590 or a Norinco 981.....which is an 870 clone. The 981's are relatively cheap, and seem well made from all the reports I've heard. Surefire forend with light and I'll be good to go.

So, I guess even though I love my Saiga, I'd opt for a pump gun for general HD. Now if Zombies or Aliens are invading my home.....well, that's a different story!

Thanks for the responses. I may just go w/ the $770 nobama deal special then. Maybe have ramen noodles for lunch for a few weeks. I know that the moment I buy an 870, i'll still want the Saiga-12.....so I might as well go for the Saiga-12.

Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks for the responses. I may just go w/ the $770 nobama deal special then. Maybe have ramen noodles for lunch for a few weeks. I know that the moment I buy an 870, i'll still want the Saiga-12.....so I might as well go for the Saiga-12.

Thanks for all the responses.

You've actually got the right idea. In just comparing a Saiga 12 and an 870 or other solid pumpgun for HD, I do like a pump. However, definitley get a Saiga while you can! Don't know the future, but Saiga's may still be around in a few years.......likely, 870's aren't going anywhere. So, you can always pick up a pump later.

Under USA regs, anything higher than 5 rounds in the magazine is unsporting, and therefore banned on imported shotguns. In the USA, an 8 round russian magazine is banned in a gun without adding other US parts to it (such as doing a conversion, and adding a USA Pistol grip, buttstock, and fire control group.

So, in the USA, a russian 8 rounder in a stock Saiga is not allowed.

.....So, in the USA, a russian 8 rounder in a stock Saiga is not allowed.

I didn't realize that. Could you provide a link that will take us to where you found that info?

I've looked, and I can't dig it up on the ATF site. I can't remember exactly where I found it. Sorry... The limit is 5 rounds in the magazine, anything else is "unsporting"- that's why RAAC and EAA didn't import the 8 rounders for anyone to buy, because if they did the shotgun would be unimportable.

If anyone else knows a link, I would like to see it again also.

Don't know the future, but Saiga's may still be around in a few years.......likely, 870's aren't going anywhere. So, you can always pick up a pump later.

What everyone else said, and a big ! for what volfandan said. If it comes down to some sort of ban, obviously the Saiga more ban-worthy. So get one while you can. I was very close to dropping money on an 870, and decided against it, and ordered an S12 instead. I still may get an 870 down the road, but I'm far less worried about it being banned in the future. As opposed to a semi-auto, magazine fed, 12ga shotgun, built on an AK receiver.