Flash hider for factory threaded S12

I've been following the thread but I just want to make sure:

1) No way to put the factory IZMASH thread on a plain barrel, right?

2) The die that you're renting...does that thread pattern match any other commercially available chokes?  What I'd like to do is have a thread where I can swap between your FH, a commercial choke, and a rifled choke as necessary.

3) If you thread your own barrel is the timing nut really necessary?  Can you just time the threads yourself, bit by bit?

I kind of like the slots all around idea though, like an A2 setup.  It's not often that one fires a shotgun prone on dirt anyway.  On any kind of home/defense CQB/urban weapon, I can't think that kicking up ground dust is a big concern.

-T

IF you were to take your barrel off Im sure most machine shops could chase the factory threads on your barrel. Im not sure if there is anything available in the thread size I use . Im not sure how popular polychokes are. The thread size is 7/8-28 if you want to try to search for one maybe on brownells or somewhere. You dont need the timing nut if you use the guide. There are a couple guys that timed their own using the die.

Nice shotty dodge! Those 8 rounders really complete the look :devil:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodge... thoes look great! Especialy the left one. THat is the look im looing for on my s12 which I hope to post pictures real soon. Im still trying to get one of thoes ak style front sights. speaking of which, anyone heard from the kind people at rusmilitary?? guess Ill chek in a second.

Fyi... For thoes wondering what the scorpion is / was, heres a few things to ponder...

1 top folding stock ( compleatly reworked, no offence piston but wood has no place in a 12 gage!) lol just pokin fun

2 remote lazer and operating switch ( thinking of mounting a mariage blinder light was well and wireing them together)

3 custom ventaliated heat shroud for whats left of my barrel, (its still leagel so no heart attacks please)

4 hopefuly soon an ak style front site.

5and... cant reveal all of my goodies. stay tooned folks... your gona like this

Just thought everyone might want to know if you hadn't figured it out already...

If you're using the factory (or Krebs) front sight that fits on the barrel, you can use it in lieu of a timing nut. I did this on one of mine and it worked great. All you have to do it position it so that when you tighten your FS, it times correctly.

Edited by RDSWriter

StarLynx... why do you need to remove the barrel from the receiver? Just curious.

Johnnymaceldoos threading fixture operates just like any other die... no need to remove the barrel, just use the fixture on the end.

Even those people opening up the gas ports just pull off the gas block, they don't remove the barrel from the receiver.

If you're cutting the barrel down, you can feed the barrel through the back side of a lathe chuck if you have access to the right type. If you don't have access to a lathe (or don't want to pay someone) to cut the barrel down to 18.5", just use a pipe cutter to mark a circle around the circumference of the barrel and then a hacksaw to cut it... rotating the barrel as you cut through the inside wall. A sander and a Tsquare will make sure the final barrel dimensions are completely square.

Edited by RDSWriter

Jmac"IF you were to take your barrel off Im sure most machine shops could chase the factory threads on your barre"

I thought somebody might be experienced with that..& was wondering what it would take to fit abnother barrel..Maybe even design a Silencer can for it..or ya know..just fer grins & Giggles

Also..A quick change barrel might be purty kewl,too...Screw on or otherwise..

Edited by StarLynx

StarLynx:

If you know the machine shop and can get on their schedule, they should be able to chase the threads you want without removing the barrel (per my comment about feeding through the back side of a chuck). Keep in mind in that you should be there while it is being done... I doubt the ATF would consider one barrel threading a unlicensed gunsmith operation... but I don't ever leave - nor do I recommend leaving - any firearm with any unlicensed businesses.

With regards to a silencer... it's definitely 'doable'. If I remember correctly, I think the Class2 I've used in the past has done a couple of shotguns - although I'm not 100% sure on this. So, I'll ask him this next week and post his contact information if he says 'yes'.

Personally, I've always wanted to put a suppressor on a shotgun... just haven't taken the steps (including the $$) to make it happen. With regards to a suppressor on a shotgun:

1. I'm betting you have to leave the barrel intact to 18 inches an drill a lot of suppressor port holes because you'll need to control the shot cup and the shot beads so that they do not expand into the baffles and blow the silencer apart (eventually).

2. It's going to be expensive because they'll probably need to make the tube and baffles out of material stronger than T6 aluminum, or if the manufacturer uses T6 the baffles would need to be much thicker (hence more matrial). Additionally, I'm guessing that you'll need at least 2.5" seamless tubing or maybe even 3" given tha the diameter of a Saiga barrel is ~1".

3. It's going to be heavy because

. (1) thicker material (in the case of T6) or heavier metal as in stainless steel.

. (2) much more material in a 2.5 - 3" suppressor than a typical suppressor

. (3) guessing it needs to be at least 10" - 12" long for enough gas entrapment

Finally, the manufacturer would need to weld the suppressor to the barrel if the barrel is not at least 18" because you would have an SBS when the suppressor is removed. Personally, I'm not a fan of welding on suppressors, but if it's done correctly I don't know of any problems.

Which leads me to the final point... TECHNICALLY and LEGALLY you are supposed to remove a shotgun barrel from the receiver if you cut it shorter than 18"... even if you are going to permenantly weld on some type of barrel extension that makes it longer than 18". Why? Because for the brief period of time during which you have not welded on the muzzle extension, the shotgun is an untaxed, unregistered SBS - and as such it is a contraband weapon. Once contraband, it cannot legally be recoverted to any type of legal firearm. Now... I'm sure everyone knows this last point and made sure to do it legally, so no one needs to worry. :smoke:

So in closing, if you are going to cut it down below 18" and weld some form of attachment, YES you need to remove the barrel. This is done by driving the retaining pins out of the trunion/barrel and pressing the barrel out.... carefully.

Edited by RDSWriter

I've shot several Suppressed sgs'...Mac1 of Calif designed some quite few years back...it was recomended to use slugs & Buck shot only...but birdshot worked just as effectively....as long as you kept the baffles clean.

Thanks for the info on the S12 barrel removal..I assumed those pins had to come out..

I've got a S12 that has multiple ports in the barrel...I was just wondering if I would have to go "Intergrated " can..or screw on.. :devil:

Ok, so what's the deal with barrel length and flash suppressors? It looks like the suppressors are ~1", so does that mean I can get my barrel taken down to 17.25" and add 1" of suppressor? I imagine not, but always worth asking.

Also, it looks like the flash is just going to be spread out in all directions, but that really helps reduce the signature at night?

Lastly, I want one!!! All I need is the die and guide, the flash suppressor, and an opposable thumb? Or do I need some fancy tools and a lot of skill? Is the die, guide, and suppressor available? Or is there a long wait?

How much would it be to get everything?

Also, is there anyway to make one that has vents only around 75% of it so that the flash goes down and sideways, and almost none goes up? Is there a point to a design like that?

Sheesh, too many questions, I'll stop now. Let me know please! Thanks!!!

Which leads me to the final point... TECHNICALLY and LEGALLY you are supposed to remove a shotgun barrel from the receiver if you cut it shorter than 18"... even if you are going to permenantly weld on some type of barrel extension that makes it longer than 18". Why? Because for the brief period of time during which you have not welded on the muzzle extension, the shotgun is an untaxed, unregistered SBS - and as such it is a contraband weapon. Once contraband, it cannot legally be recoverted to any type of legal firearm.

Guess you better know how you removed the barrel in case your ever called on it?

Edited by Doerdie

Pm sent AegisDei.

As far as shortening the barrel if you go under 18" Ive heard you must remove the barrel completely and then permanantly attatch a brake or FH to make up the length so your 18" or longer. You will also have to open up your gas ports to get your shotgun to feed correctly again.

Way to go johnnymceldoo!!!!

Just installed my new flash suppressor and I just can't stop staring at it..lol!

Bigtime thanks Johnny for your fantastic product, quick service and followup..felt like I had the ultimate mail tracking device. "I made it" "I mailed it" :lolol:

I loved to post a pic but camera sucks in room lighting.

Hi all

I just recieved my Flash hider this afternoon , it fits just fine. Great quality and craftmanship. I would highly recommend these products to others , i am heading to the range on sunday for a range test lol as this is the only one in England its sure to get a few looks and get the guys talking lol

here are some piks

Many thanks to johnnymceldoo for making these for us

all the best

assassin

post-281-1110572159_thumb.jpg

post-281-1110572179_thumb.jpg

post-281-1110572299_thumb.jpg

Love the look of that S12 Assasin, but I gotta ask... how freakin' long is that barrel with flash suppressor installed?

From the looks of it, I bet you'd have an easier time just beating the birds or clays out of the sky versus actually shooting at them!! :lolol:

Edited by RDSWriter

Hi all

I just recieved my Flash hider this afternoon , it fits just fine. Great quality and craftmanship. I would highly recommend these products to others , i am heading to the range on sunday for a range test lol as this is the only one in England its sure to get a few looks and get the guys talking lol

here are some piks

Many thanks to johnnymceldoo for making these for us

all the best

assassin

Whooooweee!..Assas..I bet under British law..that longass'd baby is considered a deadly weapon even empty ,with Jmacs mean pointy-ass'd look'n FH on the end of it..

:haha: ..Looks pretty Kewl!..

Hi

The standard barrel on my saiga 12 is 28" the legal minimum here in England is 24" :cryss:

with the FH installed it is around 29" , its not too unweildy but i would love a shorter tube.

Yes these shotguns are not very well liked by the public or police over here , they are seen as being far too sexy (dangerous) for us to own and enjoy lol

i love my saiga , fires faster than any shotgun i have owned before and the reliability is tops.

I can put a hole in the centre of the bull every time at 100m just by jabbing at it with my long barrel lol jk

all the best

assassin

Ah well...Some of the Brit laws can't be amy more "Stupider"..than our Sound-Suppresser laws....You can buy Silencer cans almost anywhere.. :rolleyes: If I don't have it in my equipment inventory..I gott'a pay $200 extra...

Have you used that barrel extender that RussMilitary sells for the S12??