Frustration is...

Well, I am still laid up after they re-built (literally with screws and such) my right shoulder. Typing left handed on drugs is dang hard, but necessary for my sanity.

Well my Saiga sits in the safe. returned to original, since I sold the Tapco T6 Saw and other grip to do full PG conversion.

Well, the KVAR conversion set, including Warsaaw pact stock sits in the safe next to it. Today, the Tapoo Galil Handguard came from Gilberts. One handed I managed to put it on. Very cool! I heard "Hava Nagela" ringing in my ears as I put it on. I actually put a CAR 15 handguard liner I had kicking around in the bottom of the Galil. It fit perfectly and should deflect more up off of my off-hand. It really looks great with the M16 flash hider I put on it. Much more martial looking than the stock handguard with no FH. It is a tad bulkier than I thought, but looks like it will keep hand cooler.

Has anyone had a problem with the metal retainer on the Tapco Galil moving forward under recoil? I was planning on just skirting the barrel with a roll pin through a hole on both sides, but think I will drill, tap, and dimple the same as I did for the M16 flash hider. That should be more than enough.

Now if the temperature outside ever goes above 15 degrees before I return to work after convalescing, I may try using the drill press in the garage to do the conversion left handed! :unsure:

It's looking good! I get to pick up my first Saiga tomorrow. I'm up in the air about which handguard I want to go with. It'll either be a Galil style piece like yours or the Surefire tri-rail.

I hope the pain goes away for you soon. Unfortunately it sounds like something that would take a while to heal properly. Assuming you don't, what kind of time frame did they give you until you could have full range of movement with your shoulder?

Its an easy choice.

The tri rail grips are good if you are going to add something: ie a surefire light, laser, optic, or fore grip.

I like tactical foregrips and modified the original Saiga grip with a bottom rail and put a grip on it. At the time, My AR was an M4, and I was planning on putting a fore grip on it also.

I have decided against a fore grip on the saiga now, as my AR is a retro with triangular handguards, and my Mi carbine is a stock, GI Underwood. No foregrips othe other guns, so less difference in muscle memory in switching guns.

SInce the Saiga, wehn converted, will be my main house/farm gun, I am keeping it simple and clean. PG conversion with Warsaw stock to shorten overall length, no optics, since I can shoot cans off hand with the iron sights at 75 yards+, and a simple, but ample fore=grip. The Galil style is well designed as it encourages identicle hand placement everytime you pick it up.

In short, if you are adding whistles and bells, go with a trirail of some sort. If you are like me KISS, lean and simple. After the conversion, the only thing I am adding is my home fabricated sling that works as a tactical HK style, a single point, or a standard sling.

Edited by imarangemaster

Thanks for the input. The more I think about it the more I want to keep it simple. At least until I get familiar with the stock sights and overall feel for the rifle. I was thinking of putting some type of holographic sight that would co-witness with the irons. Although, I'm feeling it's best to learn without sight aids at first. Especially since this is my only AK variant of any kind. That said I'm leaning more towards the Galil handguard and waiting on the gas tube rail.

I spent many years as a police and military firearms instructor.

Keep it basic. Don't load it up with stuff you don't need. Mission essential. If I have a weapon with red dot or holographic, it will always co-witness BUIS. This is tough with AKs, requires a gastube rail and low mount reflex.

Sure fires are nice, but I am old school and like detached flashlights.

Know it as well as your own hands. Don't just be able to load it in the dark, Be able to field strip it and re-assemble it in the dark.

Target shooting is swell, but the best form of practice is shooting "off hand" bouncing pop cans 25 to 100 yards. Once I sight in dead on POA at 100 yards with my chosen load, it will never shoot paper again unless working on a new load. (living on acreage out in farm land has it's advantages! :rolleyes:

Real world is not benchrest, though that is also an enjoyable aspect of firearms. it is just a different discipline from an AK kept as a PDW house/farm gun.

Shoot Free standing, different positions, using cover and or concealment. Around and over trees. rocks, tractors, car fenders (watch the hood!!!!) fences, on your belly. Know how it shoots from these positions. BE Practical!!!

99.9% of the "tactical" shooting videos you see on youtube are done by bubbas, morons, amateurs, idiots, and people that are legends in their own minds. I recently watched one that had me roaring with laughter, as it was like a movie of WHAT NOT TO EVER DO!

Ensure it is absolutely reliable (pretty easy with an AK!) and have ABSOLUTE confidence in your weapon and your ability to use it.

Sounds like great advice. Very much appreciated rangemaster.

My Saiga will be used for range fun and home defense, if ever needed. I intend to shoot free hand more than any bench type shooting. I figure if you become accurate without a rest you'll naturally be accurate with one.

Funny you mention minding the hood (or any part of the vehicle). I watched a video of someone firing a .50 BMG off the tailgate of his truck. First shot completely shattered the tail light cover....oops! Here's the link to that video if you're interested: muzzle blast vs tail light

I have seen what a 12 ga slug does to a patrol car hood!

Thanks for the link. EVen the muzzle blast is heck. In 1985 I was shooting an AR180 over the truck fender using my NEW, PRESENT from my wife down vest as a rest. I let the vest get too close to the muzzle, and it looked like I blew up a duck! My wife was less than amused! :wub: