Slugs and accuracy

Today I tested my Saiga's accuracy with Gamebore Buffalo 12/70 30g Brenneke Star slugs. I was pleasantly suprised about the 38-45mm (1.5"-1.8") groups (3 x 3 shots) I got. Distance was 100m (109 yards).

I have never shot slugs before and I am interested to know are this kind of results normal?

yeh, thats a pretty decent group for slugs i would say. I get about 1-2" center to center out of a rifled single shot savage 12 i have. saiga gives a little bigger group out at the 100 yard mark. I am guessing that you have cylinder choke for that group?

yeh thats a cylinder prolly. you have to check the model #. most of the permanent choked saigas i have seen are full chokes. a cylinder would explain your accuracy at those ranges though, i figure if you had a full choke on there you would be keyholing at that range from the bullet swaging itself passing through the choke's squeeze. I am surprised at those groups that you are getting out of the saiga, actually, because the AK action isnt exactly known for its extreme accuracy. can you get comparably sized groups out of the cheaper remington slugs? or fiocchi slugs? i am not really familiar with that brand of ammo you are using, though i have shot some brenneke slugs before with good results. you will find that in the woods, slugs dont like to touch leaves and that sort of thing going to thier target, so 100 yards should be your maximum range for 12 gauge slug hunting. you might even try a sabot for ranges like that in the woods.

• 1 month later...