Saiga Help

Help on a decision.

.308 vs. .223.

.223 is $360. .308 is close to $600.

I love the wooden thumbhole stock on the .308, no one has a saiga m in .223 with the thumbhole stock available.

I see that I can buy a nice looking pistol grip stock in plastic for the .223 without a conversion, I could do a conversion on it later but I doubt I would.

I've seen that a few people make custom wood for the .223, I suppose I could do that also.

I haven't researched ammo prices but it stands to reason that .223 would be cheaper.

There is no rifle deer hunting allowed in Illinois, the only thing I'll be doing is shooting paper, groundhogs, and coyotes. My thoughts right now are get the .223 now and maybe pick up a normal hunting bolt action in .308 or 30/06 later if I feel the need to have a larger caliber.

I know that some of this was covered in another thread I started but I thought I'd make a new thread to better categorize my thoughts.

If I get the .223, slap an aftermarket stock on it without a conversion, and then add a higher capacity magazine will I be legal?

Thanks in advance.

JMHO, If you're buying a rifle for target and varmint hunting, a Saiga wouldn't be my first choice. While I love my Saiga .223, my T/C Encore .223 is much more accurate. I think for what you want to do a Savage bolt action like a Model 11FNS would do the trick. The Encore route would allow you to add another barrel in a different caliber for around $250.

Edited by pogy
JMHO, If you're buying a rifle for target and varmint hunting, a Saiga wouldn't be my first choice. While I love my Saiga .223, my T/C Encore .223 is much more accurate. I think for what you want to do a Savage bolt action like a Model 11FNS would do the trick. The Encore route would allow you to add another barrel in a different caliber for around $250.

I can buy a bolt action anytime, at least I'd hope I could.

I've been buying firearms that could be banned now that the liberals are in power. AK's are on that list.

I'd get the .223 NOW! Before they are snapped up - these are moving fast right now.

If you use US-made high cap mags you will be 922r legal. 1-barrel, 2-trunion, 3-receiver, 4,5&6 fire control group, 7,8 &9 bolt, carrier and piston. The buttstock can be us or imported to make a 10th countable part.

But man, the .223 is a piece of cake to convert - the G-2 fcg drops in. I would do that immediately myslef and get a bunch of high cap mags like surefires - at least 7.

Help on a decision.

.308 vs. .223.

.223 is $360. .308 is close to $600.

I love the wooden thumbhole stock on the .308, no one has a saiga m in .223 with the thumbhole stock available.

I see that I can buy a nice looking pistol grip stock in plastic for the .223 without a conversion, I could do a conversion on it later but I doubt I would.

I've seen that a few people make custom wood for the .223, I suppose I could do that also.

I haven't researched ammo prices but it stands to reason that .223 would be cheaper.

There is no rifle deer hunting allowed in Illinois, the only thing I'll be doing is shooting paper, groundhogs, and coyotes. My thoughts right now are get the .223 now and maybe pick up a normal hunting bolt action in .308 or 30/06 later if I feel the need to have a larger caliber.

I know that some of this was covered in another thread I started but I thought I'd make a new thread to better categorize my thoughts.

If I get the .223, slap an aftermarket stock on it without a conversion, and then add a higher capacity magazine will I be legal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Sir,

I would recommend that you look at your own plans for the use of the firearm. Bottom line, 5.56 (.223) is not the same as 7.62 NATO (.308). One's pretty small (maybe even under-powered by some estimates), the other is pretty big (maybe even over-powered for its intended use). Look at your own needs. I know that you already know that, but sometimes the basics get lost when you're looking at a purchase (car, house, rifle, etc.), I know from personal experience.

For example, if you might hunt with the rifle (bigger than varmints), go .308. If you are planning on hunting coyotes (or skunk ;>) but not deer or bear, go .223. If you don't like recoil (most folks - including 'yours truly' - do not) , go 5.56. If you've got a bunch of 7.62 NATO in the closet already, go with another 7.62 (the cost of adding another caliber to your ammo supply gets really steep, really fast). If money is an issue (it is for most of us), consider that up front.

I would suggest that you put it all down on paper, side by each, look it over, and sleep on it. You can make the right decision for yourself. There's enough difference between the .223 & .308 that you won't even break a sweat. Nobody here knows better than you!

They're both excellent rifles - just think a while about your own personal needs!

No one mentioned the cost of feeding your new rifle, did they?

Any more, the up front purchase price is shortly out spent by the long term feeding costs given the price of ammo these days. Even reloading isn't cheap like it use to be.

That being said, .223 cartridges are notably cheaper than .308 cartridges. Spend a few minutes on line and check the common ammo outlets to get an honest idea what a day of "plinking" will cost.

No one mentioned the cost of feeding your new rifle, did they?

(Actually, I mentioned it in passing - "the cost of adding another caliber to your ammo supply gets really steep, really fast" - but it never hurts to mention it again. However, bottom line: .223 is not .308, & .308 is not .223 - pick the one that will do the job for you. Don't pay for a hammer if you need a screw driver, and don't buy a friggin' screw driver, if you need a big @ss hammer. Buy the right tool for your own use - and cost might be a factor there, too, if you just need something more than a paperclip... ;>)

DO like I did and get both! Seriously, if you can swing it, you won't be disappointed! The first one I purchased was the 223 and I fell in love with the Saiga rifle! Now I have several other 308's bolt and semi but I had to have the 308 also. I bit the bullet...no pun intended, and talked my wife into letting me spend a little of the tax return money on it, plus a couple of Surefire's 25 rounders (got to give carolinashooterssupply a plug on having the best prices on the mags). Sure the ammo isn't as cheap as the 223, but if you shop around, you can get it for under 44cents a round. After I purchased it, I am so glad that I did! And I also have to give my wife a pug for being the great wife that she is, putting up with me and my Saiga addiction! LOL

P.S. Out of the box, mine was pulling 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights....!

Edited by unclejake