S-12 compliance let me get this straight

an out of box RAA S-12 is compliant because it is for "sporting purposes" despite being composed of all foreign components. Is it correct that if a cheapo Tapco T-6 pistol grip and stock are added it becomes non compliant because it has lost it's "sporting purpose" status and thus must have only 10 foreign parts. Therefore to legally add the tapco one must replace a number of parts with US made parts. An AGP USA made mag counts for three parts and so only one more part must be replaced. So the main question is which part is best/easiest/cheapest to replace? and where can they be purchased? This is my understanding of this 922 business and any corrections and suggestions are appreciated. - Spokie

an out of box RAA S-12 is compliant because it is for "sporting purposes" despite being composed of all foreign components. Is it correct that if a cheapo Tapco T-6 pistol grip and stock are added it becomes non compliant because it has lost it's "sporting purpose" status and thus must have only 10 foreign parts.

Yes, that's correct.

Therefore to legally add the tapco one must replace a number of parts with US made parts. An AGP USA made mag counts for three parts and so only one more part must be replaced. So the main question is which part is best/easiest/cheapest to replace? and where can they be purchased? This is my understanding of this 922 business and any corrections and suggestions are appreciated. - Spokie

Well, if you're adding the Tapco pistol-gripped stock, you've already replaced 1 part (the stock) with a US made one. So that, plus the 3 parts from a US made mag, give you 922r compliance.

If you're not adding the stock or replacing anything else, and just want to use AGP 10 round mags, you'll still need to swap 1 more part. I would recommend replacing the gas "puck", which counts as the piston. Chaos, a forum Business Member, has them in stock (last I checked), for about $40ish.

ETA: This is all assuming that your S12 is threaded for chokes. If it's not even threaded, you only need to replace 3 parts. So you'd be compliant just with the US made mags.

Edited by 22_Shooter
  • 2 months later...
an out of box RAA S-12 is compliant because it is for "sporting purposes" despite being composed of all foreign components. Is it correct that if a cheapo Tapco T-6 pistol grip and stock are added it becomes non compliant because it has lost it's "sporting purpose" status and thus must have only 10 foreign parts.

Yes, that's correct.

Therefore to legally add the tapco one must replace a number of parts with US made parts. An AGP USA made mag counts for three parts and so only one more part must be replaced. So the main question is which part is best/easiest/cheapest to replace? and where can they be purchased? This is my understanding of this 922 business and any corrections and suggestions are appreciated. - Spokie

Well, if you're adding the Tapco pistol-gripped stock, you've already replaced 1 part (the stock) with a US made one. So that, plus the 3 parts from a US made mag, give you 922r compliance.

If you're not adding the stock or replacing anything else, and just want to use AGP 10 round mags, you'll still need to swap 1 more part. I would recommend replacing the gas "puck", which counts as the piston. Chaos, a forum Business Member, has them in stock (last I checked), for about $40ish.

ETA: This is all assuming that your S12 is threaded for chokes. If it's not even threaded, you only need to replace 3 parts. So you'd be compliant just with the US made mags.

hello , I have a out of box saiga 12 with a threaded barrel , and I just want to be able to shoot 10 rounders , and my original 5 round mag , so if I change out the gas puck , will I be compliant shooting it with those mags. thanks

You start with 14 foreign parts. The mag counts as 3. So replacing your gas puck gives you the 1 remaining part. You'll retain your sporting exemption with the original mag, as well.

thanks one more thing , if I change the stock to a non folding Ace 7.5" Skeleton Stock , will I retain the sporting exemption

Edited by csl
Maybe, maybe not. It's at the whim of the ATF. Just replace the puck and be done with it.

yea thats what im going to do leave it alone but the puck , because all I want to do is be able to use 10 rounders and the 5 rounder that it came with :beer: . thanks

Maybe, maybe not. It's at the whim of the ATF. Just replace the puck and be done with it.

yea thats what im going to do leave it alone but the puck , because all I want to do is be able to use 10 rounders and the 5 rounder that it came with :beer: . thanks

So ATF thinks by making everyone change all these parts it makes the rifle what? safe and non-letal?

or are they just trying to create a cottage industry for Saiga parts?

Either way the rifle can do the exact amount of damage both ways. OPPS was I not suppose to say that hence they may figure it out?

Commmunist and Liberals, gotta love how they formulate thought patterns that are the opposite of reality.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I understand the 922r maze, but being a 922 and Saiga 12 newbie, I wasn't 100% sure on this flyspec point.

People have to replace stocks or gas pucks or whatever on a threaded S 12 (with 10-round US mag) because the threads are considered the part, not the screw-on factory thread protector; so that removing the thread protector and leaving the threads exposed does not reduce 1 foreign part?

TIA

So ATF thinks by making everyone change all these parts it makes the rifle what? safe and non-letal?

Either way the rifle can do the exact amount of damage both ways. OPPS was I not suppose to say that hence they may figure it out?

Commmunist and Liberals, gotta love how they formulate thought patterns that are the opposite of reality.

You've made the mistake of trying to apply rational logic to gun laws. :lol:

You've made the mistake of trying to apply rational logic to gun laws. :lol:

The first thing they do is create a problem, then, they run for reelection on a platform of fixing it. Then, they tax the fuck out of you to pay for making it worse so they can continue to run on the platform of fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the Saiga 12 world and my ignorance will soon shine through.

I as have a question about the threaded barrel and its role in 922r compliance. My Saiga 12 came out of the box with a threaded barrel.

I'm wanting to add a Tapco T6 stock and pistol grip. For the sake of getting my facts straight, will this addition combined with a US mag and my existing threaded barrel stay within 922r compliance?

Also, anyone know where I can get a good US gas piston ("Puck")?