serial number range of "problem guns"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I just picked up a 3 port gun. Just tested it out today and it cycled everything on setting one even some cheap low brass I had laying around.It took about 100 rounds before the low brass started cycling but now it works fine. My shoulder can't say the same thing though.

Edited by jammer72
You got lucky if your 3 port gun cycles the low powered stuff.....many will not.

Possibly, you have a 4 port gun, but can't see the fourth port (closest to the muzzle)

Tony

I actually figured I'd be sending it in for some warranty work when I found it only had 3. Imagine my surprise. Sometimes I do have good luck. Now to get this converted to match my first. Gun looks to be dated 10/2008 by the box and the certification in the manual.

It only has 3 as best I can tell. I can only hit 3 with my dental pick and only have 3 beams of light breaking thru when I shine a light down the gas block into the barrel.

Edited by jammer72

Dang,

I recently got another 19' barrel S12 and it appears to have 3 ports. NIB, I have yet to test fire it. Never really checked it until reading this post.

The two holes on the sides look to be partially covered by the gasblock opening. I thought the new 19' 3 hole guns had larger ports than the older guns with four holes. So anything less than four holes in the 19' barrel is bad?? I was hoping not to go back into the gasblock this time. Oh well, one must do what one must do if low brass hangs.

My gun is in the 08425XXX range.

Is trimming out the sides of the gas block opening to allow the side barrel ports to breathe a smart option?

Does anyone know the size of the gas block retainer pins? I never measured them on the last project. They tend to flare and warp sometimes when the block is reinstalled.

Thanks.

You got lucky if your 3 port gun cycles the low powered stuff.....many will not.
Approximately what serial number range do the guns with all the issues fall into?

eseaton

my guns serial# is 8432XXX and had two ports, one partially blocked. i sent it to CGW for warranty work. should be getting it back next week :)

New here. Could someone explain what they mean by 2/3/4 hole and which is correct? How do I tell and what do I do about it? Thanks

it refers to the number of holes drilled into the barrel between the gas block. people have been getting guns with only two and have been having problems with jamming when using cheaper low brass target loads. to tell how many holes you have unscrew the gas adjustment and look into the tube. (make sure the gun is UNLOADED please) if you gun is new send it to get fixed under warranty.

pic from another members post

saiga_gas_port_after_mod.jpg

Edited by Snoofer

My buddy just bought one from a member here. He hasn't fired it yet, but when I looked at the gas ports, they didn't appear to be drilled all the way through. His serial number is H084331XX. We'll have to see if it cycles OK. If not, he'll be contacting CGW or RAAC. Mine is H084248XX straight from CGW and it has the 4 hole diamond pattern. Not sure if it came that way or if they fixed it before sending it.

Corbin

Just checked my 12 for the port hole problem. Lucky me I have 4 diamond shaped hole present. Put a wire through all of them to make sure they were clear. Two of them awfully close to the housing but they are clear. #084212**. I shot mine for the first time yesterday and tried some cheap Diana 1 1/4shells. Would not eject on setting one or two. Had some low brass Federal and and 00 Buckshot and it cycle well. I only put through about 30 rounds, so it is not even broken in yet. Going out today to see if I can get those Diane cheapies to eject. If, not I will use them in my Mossy 500! It eats everything!

Edited by Bobriden1

My S-12 with serial number H08429XXX was a vodka special and only had 2 holes. I spoke to Clyde Woods today from RAAC and i should be getting my gun back in the next day or two. He also informed me that they wont be exchanging any more vodka specials for new guns. He said that they would be sending them to have the work done and then you will get back the same gun that you send in. I hope my new gun has 4 holes.

Such a varied range of number of holes! :eek: Does it really matter and doesn't the size of the holes for the 3 hole guns matter? For instance if the overall total diameter of 3 matches that of the 4 it should flow the same amount of gas.

BTW, mine was made Sept 30, 2008 and s/n H08437xxx.

I started this thread to get an approximate serial number range of the guns that seemed to be having trouble with the gas systems. I have serial number HO84328XX. It has three holes visible and drilled completely through. I have not shot it yet and have spent time and $ to get all of my parts together for a conversion. I had removed the stocks, etc. getting ready to do the conversion but decided to re-assemble it and shoot it before voiding my warranty in case there is a problem with cycling. I have this question, though. I ordered a gas plug made by Gunfixr and now distributed by MD Arms. It has not arrived but I believe I read that it has been good about fixing the cycling problems that some others have had. The other thing is that I am waiting on a Form 1 to be approved and then was going to have the S-12 cut to 8 or 10" and if it was 8", I was going to have the gas block moved back so the number of holes would be besides the point since these would be welded up and new ones drilled if I understand the process correctly. Has anyone had similar issue that was fixed by the gas plug by Gunfixr or by moving back the gas block and redrilling?

Thanks.

eseaton

I started this thread to get an approximate serial number range of the guns that seemed to be having trouble with the gas systems. I have serial number HO84328XX. It has three holes visible and drilled completely through. I have not shot it yet and have spent time and $ to get all of my parts together for a conversion. I had removed the stocks, etc. getting ready to do the conversion but decided to re-assemble it and shoot it before voiding my warranty in case there is a problem with cycling. I have this question, though. I ordered a gas plug made by Gunfixr and now distributed by MD Arms. It has not arrived but I believe I read that it has been good about fixing the cycling problems that some others have had. The other thing is that I am waiting on a Form 1 to be approved and then was going to have the S-12 cut to 8 or 10" and if it was 8", I was going to have the gas block moved back so the number of holes would be besides the point since these would be welded up and new ones drilled if I understand the process correctly. Has anyone had similar issue that was fixed by the gas plug by Gunfixr or by moving back the gas block and redrilling?

Thanks.

eseaton

I heard the gunfixr plug would solve this problem, but I also have ordered and would like to know if that is the case???

So I just found out I have only two holes. Who do I send it to?

First, you need to be sure you only have two. Sometimes they can be hard to see at the angle you are looking for them at. Secondly, you need to test fire your gun. It seems that various weapons function entirely different with the same number of holes.

You should shoot various loads using both gas settings to determine the response of your gun before assuming it will not work, although that may be the case. Just check it out thoroughly first. If it runs, great. If not, you can send it off for "repair".

eseaton