serial number range of "problem guns"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so i was reading this tread tonite and just had to check mine.

I've got a S-12 '19 with Ser # 08438XXX with a "born on" of 30 09 2008.

I bough it NIB about 3-4 weeks ago and i've only shot it once.

I put 20rd of 2 3/4 Federal Tac 9 -00 buck thru it without a problem.

Except that that factory 5rd mag came apart 10 seconds after puting the 5th round in it.

The metal top peice of the mag came off and all the shells popped out. ( havent explored that problem yet)

I then put 5rds in my Surefire 12 rounder and fired off the 20 rd's 5 at a time without any problems.

SO... i take the gas Selector off, and first thing i notice.. is a bunch of metal shavings and shit. and i can only see one hole.

i get out the dental pick... and i can feel 2 more. So i guess i have 3. Is that good/bad? Is it going to be a problem?

I took pics for anyone else thats wondering.

On a side note. i had to get the the cleaning kit out of the box and had to touch the "paper"... why does russian paper that your told to annihilate scare me? Is it made from chernobal trees?

post-11505-1234322322_thumb.jpg

post-11505-1234322332_thumb.jpg

post-11505-1234322344_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigoiboy

About Nate's ( gunfixr's) gas plug. I myself haven't been able to try them out in under gased guns. When he first released them reports from people were they improved their low brass ejection. You can read the reviews in his section. As far as it cleaning up 2 port guns... I hihgly doubt it will. I am even doubtful it will clean up 3 port guns. My guess is it will clean up 4 port guns that have a port partially blocked and maybe some 4 port guns with some friction or drag issues. But like I said I don't have any under gased guns to test them in.

Could someone that has some of the originals chime in here? I know I read some of the original purchasers had improvements.

But again... if you have less than 4 ports in a 19 inch gun and less than 3 ports in an IZ-107 your very best bet is to get with RAA for the warranty work with Cadiz. Or remove the gas block and add a hole yourself.

Hmm,

Anyone use the dished Knight's gas piston with Gunfixer's Gas adjust knob? I will testfire my new S12 this weekend to see if those 3 ports will cycle on a variety of mags. Knight's design reminds me of a low compression Blower/Turbo piston. That combo may prevent some of us from going into the gasblock. My Gunfixer knob is on order at this time, I'll likely give Knight's plug a try as the Tromix unit is discontinued for now.

As for filing the main gasblock opening to a D shape, would that have any effect on the performance of the gas puck/piston movement if it's ported past the outer piston rim? Is there any loss of compression past that piston ridge?

The sides of the gasblock on my gun needs filing more that the forward area facing the gasknob threads. I suppose each gun is like a fingerprint and has its own challeges.

I want my guns to process all types of shells faithfully as can be made possible.

Okay, after reading all of these posts, I am now officially concerned. I just bought my new shotgun a couple of weeks ago, and have not even had a chance to fire it yet. I just removed the plug to check the ports. I only have two. I checked with a pick to make sure. The date given on the paperwork is Sept. 3, 08, and the serial number is H084325xx.

I plan on shooting regular 00, 0000, and slug loads. I was also planning on buying an aftermarket piston. I realize that it could go either way, but given a proper break in, what are the chances I am going to have problems?

Thanks.

man after reading these posts im starting to get scared that i bought an S-12....i havent recieved mine yet.

hey, i was right in the range that could have been a vodka special and my gun is fine with 4 ports, and if its not you send it off to be fixed on someone elses bill... the important thing is you legaly own it befor any importation, or gun ban.

Edited by Nailbomb
That's the thing, I bought this one as something I was gonna keep NIB, I didn't wanna shoot it just yet. I wanted to be that guy, just ONE time...."Yeah I got one, still NIB"...

Well don't! There is nothing 100% that says it will not work and you can always have it 'repaired' later or if you planned to sell it, then let the next owner test it themselves.

ok I'm officially confused,; here and on other forums and threads I've seen people saying "oh no, 2 holes" "oh no 3 holes" "oh no 4 holes" which is the "bad" one? :deadhorse:

Yeah so can the CGW guys clear this up? What "should" a new Saiga12 19' Have for the Holes?

Edited by bigoiboy

just got mine in from Centerfire. date is 30.09.08, serial H08438XXX. has three holes, two of which are easily visible. the third is quite hard to see, though i ran a wire through and all three are clear. so is three holes the standard now? i haven't had a chance to fire yet.

Hmm,

Anyone use the dished Knight's gas piston with Gunfixer's Gas adjust knob? I will testfire my new S12 this weekend to see if those 3 ports will cycle on a variety of mags. Knight's design reminds me of a low compression Blower/Turbo piston. That combo may prevent some of us from going into the gasblock. My Gunfixer knob is on order at this time, I'll likely give Knight's plug a try as the Tromix unit is discontinued for now.

As for filing the main gasblock opening to a D shape, would that have any effect on the performance of the gas puck/piston movement if it's ported past the outer piston rim? Is there any loss of compression past that piston ridge?

The sides of the gasblock on my gun needs filing more that the forward area facing the gasknob threads. I suppose each gun is like a fingerprint and has its own challeges.

I want my guns to process all types of shells faithfully as can be made possible.

Test fired this weekend with WalMart Remington 7 1/2 green value pak specials, Winchester 2 3/4 and 3 00Buck. All cycled good. The gun has a rough finish compared to one from 2 years back. Had some issues cycling 2 3/4 buck with an AGP mag. Turned the gas knob back one full rotation to #1. It shot buck fine after that. After closer inspection, the new gun DOES has 4 port holes. Had to probe it with a paperclip at the front of the gas block to confirm. The front port hole is almost buried under the gasblock, you cannot see it by peeking in the gas tube. This is the likely reason the gas knob had to be backed off to get it to breath correctly. I did not swap in a Wolf 1911 spring on this test.

Still needs more break-in time. The Asian 5 rounders loaded smoother and cycled better than the Russian OEM 5-rounder mags in this gun. I will buy more of these while they're still here. If anyone orders Asian mags, check out the surplus shoulder bag sold on the Saiga12 mag page at Keepshooting.com. I think it was only $6 and works good, but some MagPul loops on the mags would make it better.

Actually found 3 boxes of Winchester 3 and 2 3/4 00buck this weekend at Walmart. First time in over a month I've seen it in stock at any Walmart in my area.

Except that that factory 5rd mag came apart 10 seconds after puting the 5th round in it.

The metal top peice of the mag came off and all the shells popped out. ( havent explored that problem yet)

I then put 5rds in my Surefire 12 rounder and fired off the 20 rd's 5 at a time without any problems.

SO... i take the gas Selector off, and first thing i notice.. is a bunch of metal shavings and shit. and i can only see one hole.

i get out the dental pick... and i can feel 2 more. So i guess i have 3. Is that good/bad? Is it going to be a problem?

On a side note. i had to get the the cleaning kit out of the box and had to touch the "paper"... why does russian paper that your told to annihilate scare me? Is it made from chernobal trees?

Mine's the same date. No shot's through it yet. I'll keep you posted when I do.

The paper???? Is that why I'm goin BALD!?!?

Mine's the same date. No shot's through it yet. I'll keep you posted when I do.

The paper???? Is that why I'm goin BALD!?!?

Baldness is the least of your worries. You're also sterile now :eek: .

:lol:

It's treated with some sort of rust inhibitor.

Picked up my S-12 in a trade. It was still new in the box. The serial number is H084270xx. The date on the box is 11-08-08. It has four holes in a diamond pattern. I verified this with a dental mirror and a little piece of copper wire. I wanted to verify the operation of the gun before I started converting it. It shoots everything I have tried in it. From buck shot to dove loads, and all on setting one. Just moved the pistol grip forward and replaced the fcg and gas puck. I am waiting on my Ace stock, adapter, and folding mechanism to finish up the conversion.

That's the thing, I bought this one as something I was gonna keep NIB, I didn't wanna shoot it just yet. I wanted to be that guy, just ONE time...."Yeah I got one, still NIB"...

I too want to be "that guy"! I just got mine from Centerfire today. Made in October of 08 - not that it matters for the gas ports as I haven't looked in the box. Still in the heavy plastic bag and unopened.

I wonder just how long I will be able to hold off on opening it. I think I can hear it calling me... problem is it's speaking Russian....

Bought mine last week and left it at the shop for conversion and refinishing in duracoat. Mine is H084315**, will drop in tomorrow and check number of holes.

Made it to the gun store earlier and checked out my gun. Looks like I have 2 holes. They were really close to the front of the threads. Looked like none were there but brought a dental pick to be sure. Do I need to send it in before they start converting it? I'd love to just shoot slugs or buckshot but that'll get expensive. Guys at the store hadn't heard of this issue.

Edited by obake