How NOT to use a dental pic to grab a spring.

Hey guys.

First off, I admit... this was MY fault and I'm an idiot for not being more careful. Dental pics are very sharp and hurt very much when you slam them almost all the way through your hand.

I was having some issues with my bolt sticking on my S12, causing some feeding issues. Strange, since it was working great a few weeks back at the pit with Juggernaut and some others. Well, I took the thing apart and polished up the carrier, the hammer and bolt. It's fine now, but while I had it apart, I figured I'd modify the BHO to allow me to remove the safety lever easier. It will also let me use a retaining plate later if I want to.

Anyway, as many of you know, trying to get all the springs and parts to fall into place while pushing the pins in can be a real PITA. The BHO was especially tough to keep in place (under spring tention) while trying to line up the hammer pin through the hammer.

I discovered that the handle shaft of the dental pic I was using to grab the retaining wire was exactly the right size to hold the BHO in place from the right side of the receiver. So I could just put the regular pin in place and push the dental pic out, hopefully securing everything where it needed to be.

Well, you can envision the S12 sitting across my lap with the dental pic's handle stuck in the side of the receiver (sharp part pointing up). Then you can imagine when I reached for something and the gun started slipping off my lap how I could instinctively slam my hand down to catch it.

Of course, my hand slammed right into the end of the dental pic and it almost came out the back of my hand between my index and middle knuckles. For such a small diameter instrument, it bled a hell of a lot more than I expected after I pulled the tip out. The pic head bent when I hit it (cheap imported metal) and snapped off while it was lodged in my hand. I pulled it out easilly, but it hurt like hell.

handpalm.jpg

Handback.jpg

The gun's action is nice and slick now, but I was sidetracked a little by this bit of excitement.

Corbin

Corbin, you are the most "dangerous" guy I know.... LOL!!!

That SUCKS BRO!!!!

Hope you heal up for more shootin' here in the near future...

Saiga Stigmata!

I saw that video before. It's actually a magic trick to make it look like he pierces his hand. Still pretty nasty though.

I AM a lefty, but only because about 20 years ago I had a 12ga go through the palm of my right hand and remove my wrist, both arteries and many of the bones in my hand. So I because a lefty.

Here's a picture of it after it was cleaned up.

Corbin

I saw that video before. It's actually a magic trick to make it look like he pierces his hand. Still pretty nasty though.

I AM a lefty, but only because about 20 years ago I had a 12ga go through the palm of my right hand and remove my wrist, both arteries and many of the bones in my hand. So I because a lefty.

Corbin

dude that is nasty! You still have that hand? does it work at all? sorry, don't mean to be nosy but OMFG. How did that happen?!

I still have that hand. I can't move my wrist, as I have a titanium rod in its place. I can move all my fingers too. My thumb isn't as strong though. Still, better than a hook.

It happened on active duty.

Corbin

dude that is nasty! You still have that hand? does it work at all? sorry, don't mean to be nosy but OMFG. How did that happen?!

I'll see if I have any pics. If not, I can take one. I had skin taken from my upper arm to close the hole up. The flap of skin is about 2x6" or so.

I wanna see a after pic, i bet you got a grizzly scar...
The pics in the OP kinda look like the early stages of a Brown Recluse bite :horror: .

:eek:

Having been bit twice i disagree with you here...

I've seen some that look nothing like that, but I have seen some that do look like that.

Here's an example:

brownreclusebite4.jpg

As far as I know, we don't naturally have them in NY (or do we? :unsure: ), but the warehouse I work in, gets stuff in from all over the country/world, and many have been bitten :ded: . I hate spiders to begin with, and I hate them even more when your hand can pretty much rot off, if left untreated. :ded::ph34r:

Hey guys.

First off, I admit... this was MY fault and I'm an idiot for not being more careful. Dental pics are very sharp and hurt very much when you slam them almost all the way through your hand.

I was having some issues with my bolt sticking on my S12, causing some feeding issues. Strange, since it was working great a few weeks back at the pit with Juggernaut and some others. Well, I took the thing apart and polished up the carrier, the hammer and bolt. It's fine now, but while I had it apart, I figured I'd modify the BHO to allow me to remove the safety lever easier. It will also let me use a retaining plate later if I want to.

Anyway, as many of you know, trying to get all the springs and parts to fall into place while pushing the pins in can be a real PITA. The BHO was especially tough to keep in place (under spring tention) while trying to line up the hammer pin through the hammer.

I discovered that the handle shaft of the dental pic I was using to grab the retaining wire was exactly the right size to hold the BHO in place from the right side of the receiver. So I could just put the regular pin in place and push the dental pic out, hopefully securing everything where it needed to be.

Well, you can envision the S12 sitting across my lap with the dental pic's handle stuck in the side of the receiver (sharp part pointing up). Then you can imagine when I reached for something and the gun started slipping off my lap how I could instinctively slam my hand down to catch it.

Of course, my hand slammed right into the end of the dental pic and it almost came out the back of my hand between my index and middle knuckles. For such a small diameter instrument, it bled a hell of a lot more than I expected after I pulled the tip out. The pic head bent when I hit it (cheap imported metal) and snapped off while it was lodged in my hand. I pulled it out easilly, but it hurt like hell.

handpalm.jpg

Handback.jpg

The gun's action is nice and slick now, but I was sidetracked a little by this bit of excitement.

Corbin

Ah hell,it isnt that bad...if it were you would be able to see the computer screen thru the hole in your hand :haha::devil:

Actualy,i bet that hurt like heck.

Edited by Pointer
I still have that hand. I can't move my wrist, as I have a titanium rod in its place. I can move all my fingers too. My thumb isn't as strong though. Still, better than a hook.

It happened on active duty.

Corbin

Army Rangers? mid-eighties? Mind if I ask where? Curiosity gets the best of me :P

BTW, thanks for your contribution and sacrifice. Hope the little dental pick wound heals up smartly.

Yeah,

75th Inf, 3rd Bat. From 88 through 91, when I got a medical discharge. I was transfered to Ft. Sherman in Panama for a little while, but spent most of my time at either Benning or Lewis. The shotgun injury happened down South of Panama. Ruined my whole day.

Corbin

Army Rangers? mid-eighties? Mind if I ask where? Curiosity gets the best of me :P

BTW, thanks for your contribution and sacrifice. Hope the little dental pick wound heals up smartly.

Be careful of infection. I had a horrible MRSA infection last year on my leg that started as a small ingrown hair then blew up to a 8 in diameter mound of pain. You could feel heat coming off of it. It finally came to a head after a ER visit and round of antibiotics. I was lucky it didn't spread to my blood stream. Left a hole in my leg you could stick your pinky in. I actually put a q-tip all the way in while cleaning it. Now i have a large sunken area on my thigh where I am assuming the staff ate the fat and a scar that looks like I was shot by a .45.

Edited by obake
As far as I know, we don't naturally have them in NY (or do we? :unsure: ), but the warehouse I work in, gets stuff in from all over the country/world, and many have been bitten :ded: . I hate spiders to begin with, and I hate them even more when your hand can pretty much rot off, if left untreated. :ded::ph34r:

We have them, but they are really rare. I was bitten in okinowa japan, and north carolina. The one in japan was the worst, it got infected and i was draining puss out of it for days. I would have puked when it first broke but it felt so nice to have relief from the pressure in my arm.

Sorry for the late reply i must have missed this...

I thought the guy who got shot in Basic had some pretty nasty gaping.

(And for all of you idiots in the world, please clear the chamber BEFORE you start cleaning and decide to squeeze the trigger to let the hammer go forward for "easier disassembly" Yeah you can bet that went over well with the Drill Sergeant. It wouldn't even have been too bad if he hadn't decided to have the muzzle pointing at the guy next to him. Try explaining that one to your parents on graduation day.)

"Some people say I have issues."

~ME