Best grain for .308

I was wondering what would be the best grain bullet to use for deer hunting? I will be shooting from about 100 to 350yds. Does anyone have a bullet trajectory chart for the differnt bullets? I would also like to know what would be the best brand to go with? any sugestions or info you would like to share would be great

I was wondering what would be the best grain bullet to use for deer hunting? I will be shooting from about 100 to 350yds. Does anyone have a bullet trajectory chart for the differnt bullets? I would also like to know what would be the best brand to go with? any sugestions or info you would like to share would be great

How big is the average deer out your way?

How big is the largest deer likely to be found out your way?

I personally prefer the heavier bullets in any caliber. In a .308, I would go with a 180gr SP.

Mario

The twist rate for Saiga 308 barrels favor lighter bullets. 145-155 grain should stabalize excellent for longer shots. Surplus ammo and most russian stuff is 145-155 grain, so the Saiga was made to shoot this. You could probably shoot some of the heavier 165 grainers is you stay under 250 yards.

I hunt deer with a Saiga .308 too. I use the 150gr Remington Core-Lokt ultra. I have killed 2 deer and 2 big hogs with it and did not have to track any of them - clean and instant kills. This bullet is also a good long range performer in my Saigas.

post-10946-1234281812.jpg

For that small of a deer, a 223 would work, and NO PROBLEM with the 308! I would go with the lighter grain 308 ammo that Saiga is built around. If you are familiar with the round, you will know that it is an extremely flat shooting round, so no worries with the round dropping that much even at those distances. The question is are you used to shooting accurately at those distances? Better to get closer if you aren't than having a wounded animal dying a miserable death. Not questioning your skills, but not many people make regular shots out to 350 yards unless you are from the west or hunt LONG beanfields. Course, I'm sure your eyes are a whole lot younger than mine! ;)

Edited by unclejake