Trimming the BHO when doing a PG conversion PICS

Since I opted to use the Saiga hammer in my pistol grip conversion, I decided to keep the BHO intact. Of course I had to trim it. It was too long, and in the wrong place.

At first, I just trimmed it almost straight across by3/16 or something like that. It still interfered a bit, so I trimmed off the front corner, flush with the bottom of the receiver, angled down to the original trimmed length.

It works great! I do not feel it at all with the trigger finger with it not engaged.

BHO1.jpg

When depressed and engaging the bolt, the rear corner is flush with the bottom of the receiver.

BHO2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhhh!

That's how this BHO thing works!

Thank you for posting the photos.

I was wondering how this functioned.

My Saiga does not have one.

And frankly I had never seen one before.

So you can push up the metal tab and jack the bolt back... and it stays?

Or it comes into play when the last round is fired and holds the bolt back?

Which theory is correct?

Wow, you learn something everyday here.

FRT

Edited by fiveringstakezo
Ohhhh!

That's how this BHO thing works!

Thank you for posting the photos.

I was wondering how this functioned.

My Saiga does not have one.

And frankly I had never seen one before.

So you can push up the metal tab and jack the bolt back... and it stays?

Or it comes into play when the last round is fired and holds the bolt back?

Which theory is correct?

Wow, you learn something everyday here.

FRT

You manually pull the bolt back, push up on the BHO tab, and it will hold it open. To release it, give the bolt a slight pull back and let it fly.

I didn't put mine back in when I converted my x39, but I'm definitely putting it back in when converting my S12.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a newbie, but I didn't realize you could use the factory hammer? Is there a pic/tutorial of what to change on it to make it work. I did a search for "saiga hammer" and didn't come up with anything useful. thanks!

Edited by kevins7189
...It can cause your gun to go full auto, which can get you thrown in jail.

I know this is taking this thread slightly off topic, but why does everyone think that if your gun accidentally goes full auto you will go to jail? I see this all over the place on gun forums when people are talking about broken disconnector springs and snapped trigger hooks. Has someone gone to jail because of an accidental mechanical problem with their rifle?

One of the basic requirements for a most criminal convictions is that there must be a physical act (in this case owning a gun that goes full auto) and intent to commit that act. If there is no provable intent then there is no crime. This is a very basic US legal concept known as "mens rea", which is latin for "guilty mind".

Of course, if you do something to your gun that you should have known might make it go full auto and then it does, you will have a hard time convincing a jury that you didn't have any intent to make it go full auto. Taking a file to a disconnector would be a good example. Or leaving that factory hammer in place after being warned that it might malfunction with after-market parts.

Edited by dftc

I know this is taking this thread slightly off topic, but why does everyone think that if your gun accidentally goes full auto you will go to jail? I see this all over the place on gun forums when people are talking about broken disconnector springs and snapped trigger hooks. Has someone gone to jail because of an accidental mechanical problem with their rifle?

One of the basic requirements for a most criminal convictions is that there must be a physical act (in this case owning a gun that goes full auto) and intent to commit that act. If there is no provable intent then there is no crime. This is a very basic US legal concept known as "mens rea", which is latin for "guilty mind".

Of course, if you do something to your gun that you should have known might make it go full auto and then it does, you will have a hard time convincing a jury that you didn't have any intent to make it go full auto. Taking a file to a disconnector would be a good example. Or leaving that factory hammer in place after being warned that it might malfunction with after-market parts.

Ask David Olofson

Ask David Olofson

Pfffft. That guy knew exactly what happened. It was no "oops, what happened?".

The ATF is known to lie, engage in thuggery, and actually alter evidence (seized weapons) in order to get what they want. They had to handload custom ammo to get that guy's malfunctioning AR-15 to go full auto. It was slam firing and would only do it with very light primers. If any other police agency tampered with evidence like that, the case would be thrown out. The ATF makes up new laws as they go, and operates outside established laws. You don't want to mess with them. Normal laws don't apply to the ATF. Get that through your heads and don't forget it. If the ATF turns against you, you're going up river.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
You can't normally reuse the factory hammer. I was warned not to, as it's not compatible with some of the conversion parts. It can cause your gun to go full auto, which can get you thrown in jail.

Are you sure of this?

I used the factory hammer in a S-12 conversion with a Tapco disconnector and trigger and I don't see how it could go full auto...

The BHO does not engage after the last round. strictly a manually operated one. I suppose you could cut the back end of the bump on the follower like a GI M2 carbine mag. It would close though when you took out the mag.

As for using the factory hammer. On my 223, I re-used the factory hammer because it is USUALLY compatible with the K-Var trigger and diconnector. On my 7.62x39 I got the Tapco G2 single hook trigger, disconnector, and hammer for $29! Awesome trigger pull. About 2 lbs.