.410 vs 12ga

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FreedomOne

FreedomOne

• 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

Greetings all!
Being new to Saiga firearms, and to this forum, I thought I would ask an opinion. Looking for a good home defense gun. I have the chance to buy a .410 Saiga from a guy in my home town. It would be a private deal. Gun has 12 rounds through it, and comes with original box and all. Super clean gun. Can purchase for $250.00. I can afford that now. There is a gun shop that I can go to that will get me a Mossberg 500 eight shot, for $300.00. ( I know that isn't a fair comparison) OR should I save up a little more money and get what I really know would work, and that would be a Saiga 12? Question arises as: Is the .410 enough of a gun to defend me and my family if called upon to do so? I have been reading this forum and looking at the accessories and seeing that it shoots slugs and buckshot, and that you can get 15 round clips for it, I have been thinking this .410 just might be the ticket with enough shots available if one isn't enough. OR should I get the tried and true 12 ga for it's better stopping power? Any help and opinions would be really helpful. This is a great forum!
Thank you!

#2 Twinsen

Twinsen

Swamp Yankee

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:28 AM

A center of mass hit from .410 buckshot or slug inside of 50 yards isn't going to be pretty. If you think you can defend yourself with 9mm or .45, you definitely can defend yourself with something twice as powerful.
I might end up being around a lot more.
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 russianblood

russianblood

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

A .410 loaded with Winchester 3" buckshot, which has five 36 caliber balls, would do well for home defense. But a 12 gauge pump for only $50 more would be even better. If the shotgun is strictly for home defense, go with a 12 gauge. If you want a shotgun for range shooting and hunting that will also be used for self defense, get the Saiga .410.
Posted Image

#4 super jim

super jim

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have both and I also read a different train of thought.

First let me say I started looking for the simple 12 ga pump for home defense. Then read about how good a .410 is for home defense. It's easier to store and handle, especially by women, but has plenty of power to stop an intruder. Think about it, if your goal is to totally destroy an intruder beyond recognition, or kill zombies in the night, the 12 ga would be better. But anyone getting hit with .410 buck shot is not going to keep coming at you. Even a hit from light load bird shot is enough to send an intruder on his way, especially when you have 10 - 15 rounds to assist him out the door. Another good point is, how much damage will you do to your home when you shoot a 12 ga inside vs a .410? If you miss with a .410, there's less chance of collateral damage to something or someone else in another room.

So for that reason, I began looking at the Saigas. When I saw the Saiga 12 I had to have it over the .410. My justification was I would prefer it for hunting and/or trap shooting. It's just plain bad. But then I decided the .410 would be better suited to keep near the bed at night. So now I have both.

#5 FreedomOne

FreedomOne

• 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the great feedback! This is a great forum!
The .410 is gone. Got sold before I could get to it. With that being said and after the great comments here, I am going to have to do some thinking. I do like the idea of both, I have to admit. Plus the Saigas are just cool guns! So no matter what way I go, I will be a winner! Once again, Thank you!

#6 6x6pinz

6x6pinz

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

I actually prefer the 410 for small game, dove and quail hunting over the 12. As far as home defense the 20 all the way. I don't want to have to bother with the larger recoil and heavier gun when, lets face it we will most likely be just waking up to find and intruder. All that being said I use my converted 20. I believe I and the rest of the family can handle it very easily and it is considerable shorter than either of my other saigas, they are still in sporting configurations.

Edited by 6x6pinz, 12 February 2009 - 07:28 AM.

#7 Twinsen

Twinsen

Swamp Yankee

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:38 AM

I actually prefer the 410 for small game, dove and quail hunting over the 12. As far as home defense the 20 all the way. I don't want to have to bother with the larger recoil and heavier gun when, lets face it we will most likely be just waking up to find and intruder. All that being said I use my converted 20. I believe I and the rest of the family can handle it very easily and it is considerable shorter than either of my other saigas, they are still in sporting configurations.

That's a great point. I lost like 5" inches when I converted. FIVE INCHES OF GUN, GUYS. JEEZ.

You have a dirty mind when you clear out your spam folder...
I might end up being around a lot more.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Morne

Morne

• 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Either shotty would work. I own both.

Too bad you missed the Saiga .410 - that was a pretty good price!

I got the pump-action Mossy 500 as my first gun. It has served me well in both the field and for home defense (HD). 12-ga is just so dang versatile.

That said, 000-buckshot doesn't know which shotgun it is coming out of. With the 12-ga you get about double the pellets, but the terminal effects of each individual pellet will be indistinguishable .410 vs. 12-ga. At HD distances, what 30 feet at most, the pattern will be so small that pellet count isn't really a big deal. Five (5) 000-buckshot pellets in a less than 6-inch circle will mess up an intruder's day. Sure, ten (10) might mess it up a little more - but how much "deader" can one be?

I finally decided to get the Saiga .410 because of my wife. She is TINY at the height of 4' 10". Up until she tried shooting a buddy's .410 she refused to even try any shotgun, thinking that they all kicked like my Mossy 12-ga. Turns out that .410 is something she can handle. When things go bump in the night she used to grab her little J-frame .38 special, now there's the Saiga .410. Each pull of the trigger sends five (5) hunks of lead that are roughly the same size as those coming out one at a time from her little revolver (which only rolls 5). That is what you call a force multiplier!

One BIG edge of any Saiga over a pump - detachable magazines. You put a 15-rounder in there and have another to back you up and there is very little that cannot be handled. Reload time reduction matters.
  • ke4yqd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users