Say, a new Business Member starts on the site.

they do not have a web site, logo, marketing collateral.

Do i have to be a buisness member just to offer services?

weather or not i even need or want compensation. whether it is monetary or what i am looking for: "exchange of services"

I work a pretty monotonous job, coding day in day out the same stuff...

i love taking on small jobs, just for fun.

i have 13+ years of design back ground.

11+ years of application development using ColdFusion and html...

just saying i don't have $1200 bucks a year to be legal here.

regardless, this site rocks!

I could offer banner creation, code, or what ever you may need, to offer your BM's in exchange for becoming a BM??

just an idea..

was just informed i should look into it.

probably screwed up by asking folks if they need help..

i wont do it again.. unless i know its cool to do so..

thanks guys..

Edited by DrWho

What an incredibly novel idea you have had here Dr. Who!

To actually ask before you do something!

I am not sure that your approach of honesty will ever become popular, specially with out newer members, but I for one salute you for it!

Even though I have no problem with $1,200 per year, I have to agree with the WHO. Back in 2000, I was broke dick, trying to get Tromix off the ground with the AR-15 Sledge Hammers in .440 Corbon, 50AE, 44 Rem Mag, and 44 AutoMag. I only sold about 2-3 uppers a month despite flogging my shit daily on ARFCOM....back then it was free. Then, all of sudden, they hit me up for $800 for six months or go take a fucking hike. That killed me. I wasn't making $800 in six months of work. So....that was the end of Tromix on ARfcom and the eventual death of the Tromix Sledge Hammers.

I am not sure I have an answer here, as to what would be a fair resolution on this board, but I can tell you.......I was there once, and got fucked in the ass by ARFCOM and it killed off an entire product line, known now as the big bore AR-15. The ball was later picked up by the big guys to take the big bore market by storm, and Tromix (the pioneer in the market) was dead.

Luckily, I found this place.........

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

ok..

quick question..

could i say post in WTT

WTT: Web services for Tactical Barrel Thread Protector or Muzzle Break.

can do web work or design in exchange for et... blagh blagh...

would that be ok?

again, not trying to make money.

just a thought.

thanks guys..

I think that there is a pretty obvious difference between what you are offering and a business. It sounds like all you want to do is barter, and that can be a very sound practice for both parties!

Of course, I make no pretense of speaking for the board, just stating my opinion.

ok..

quick question..

could i say post in WTT

WTT: Web services for Tactical Barrel Thread Protector or Muzzle Break.

can do web work or design in exchange for et... blagh blagh...

would that be ok?

again, not trying to make money.

just a thought.

thanks guys..

I don't see why not. People trade everything else. It's not like if someone wants to trade 1 gun, for another gun, that they are now a firearms business wrongly advertising on the board. One person is providing something for another person, and vice-versa.. So I don't see how what you are proposing would not be allowed.

Of course, I make no pretense of speaking for the board, just stating my opinion.

^^ Same goes for me, with what I said. ^^

Ahhhhh that's what makes a Mod's job so damned fun....when you have people splitting hairs and trying to see just what they can get away with. :rolleyes:

Thats what makes building guns so fun... When you have people splitting hairs and trying to see what they can get away with...

And thank god for that mentality...

• 2 years later...

I'm dredging up this old thread for a couple of reasons. First, I'm in kind of the same boat as the OP, in that I built a modular stock for my S-12, and it worked out pretty well, and got a lot of positive comments on a couple of other boards. So, I made some more, and I'd like to sell them. Problem is, I have just a couple of small products, that I build one at a time in my garage. Even if I could sell enough of them to justify $100/month in advertising, I'm not sure that I'd want to build that many of them, since I work a full time job that I make a decent living at already. I don't think that it's a bad deal considering the traffic here, but it's probably not the deal for me. I think I have something pretty cool though, so I'm open to suggestions.

Second, I haven't posted here in a couple of years, since I had a bit of a blow out with one of the mods over on the .308 sub forum. I still disagree strongly with the policy that was at issue, but that was no excuse for me to have reacted the way that I did; it reflected poorly on me, and I'm sorry. I wanted to say that even if there is no way I can advertise here. I don't remember who the mod was, but he ended up deleting about half the thread.

• 5 weeks later...

I have watched this thread sit in limbo for a month, and decided to answer it, based on past experience only, as a person that "resides" here, and that has had some experience with the processes and inner workings of the forum previously.

This is not an official response.

To your first part (which you incorrectly gauged as secondary) , I kinda remember what you are talking about, and I say bury it and forget it, and dont act an ass? again. End of story.

To the second part, pertaining to business memberships and such. The distinction between a business member and a contributing member who is allowed to post for sale items, is that you are trying to run a part time or full time business, or you are an individual whom wishes to offer personal items for sale.

If you are intending to try to build something up as a part time thing, then yes, you would have to be a business member. However, if you are just looking for a couple of dollars on the side, and want to make a few extra bucks here and there, and are not involved with the tax man because of it, then you would only need to be a contributor.

One should use care in how one interprets "a few bucks here and there" however, as it was an issue in the past with several people that did not understand that making XXX amount of dollars on "the side" means you have to pay taxes, and thus are a business, or are doing it for principal means of profit. People interpret that differently, and you should err to the side of "business", not the other way around. There is an expense to running this place, and there are a lot of people over the years who have spent considerable time building this place into what it is, and all of that considered, makes for an easy "offensive situation" that one should avoid.

I do not speak for the forum Owner (whom is a good friend of mine) or the staff here, remember, but the distinction is pretty clear.

Me personally? I would suggest becoming a contributor, and try offering a couple of them for sale. If it works out, and you reconsider taking it to another level and making it a part time job for yourself and offer them regularly, and not in a one time one off batch situation as you propose, then consider stepping things up to become a business member.

Another viable approach would also be to contact Max, and work out a contribution schedule based on your sales.

Your other avenue of approach is to have them periodically offered for sale on the forum's home page, where parts are offered for sale to the public, but of course, that is also something that you would have to discuss with Max himself.

I am only trying to help give you some direction to your inquiry, from my own personal experiences with this website and it's policies.

Of course, you would have to run this past Max, the owner. Max can be reached at his place of business listed in the contact information to this website (saiga-12.com is owned under MJS Global Inc.) or during normal EST business hours via 404 987 0707.

These folks have all heard the "but I dont have the money to do that" thing. I myself, owning my own business for a decade, have had to bite the bullet, and either hire help or do it slower and that is a tradeoff that only you can decide.

I can tell you that for myself, its better to take the risk, than to regret not trying out of fear of whats to come. That is just me, though, but I have had quite the colorful life, and my resume reflects that.

(well, that was a bit more involved of an explanation than I thought it would take when I hit reply...)

Oh, don't get me wrong; I think that for the amount of traffic at this site, the advertising rate isn't at all unreasonable. And I am definitely doing it as a business, licensed and with a website, etc. I grew up in a family business and I know exactly how far I want to take it, and how far I don't. And for now, the volume I'd have to do to justify the rates at this site is farther than I want to take it, so I'll continue to pursue other avenues. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the suggestions.