Norinco/ the Cadillac of AK?

Ouch desert dog! A Ford Pinto. That hurts...I've had (2) Romanian WASR AK's. One had a gritty trigger which slapped the hell out of my finger and a canted front sight. The one I kept had a Tapco USA G2 and the sight lined up without holding the gun sideways. :lolol: Both of these WASR AK's were just as reliable as any other AK I have ever owned...which means as long as the magazines functioned correctly the guns just did not jam. I never fire my weapons more than 2-3 hundred rounds before a good cleaning so I never tortured tested any of them. I also have (2) Saigas and (2) Yugo Underfolders. I've never shot the underfolders but they are the best feeling quality AK's I've ever held. I had a Norinco in the mid ninities which was a good functioning gun. I owned others but I do not remember their country of origin. Before the Norinco I simply thought all AK's came from Russia...young and dumb...wish I could go back to that time.

If you read the posts carefully you'll find the AK sitting in the respected members gun case is usually the one they contend is best for whatever the reason. Nothing wrong with that but it's hardly evidence which make of AK (AKM) is really the "best". Opinions vary...it's all subjective.

Re-reading my last post reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I bought my (2) Yugo underfolders as investments 2-3 years ago when I first learned of them. I have never shot either of them. They seem to be quite a bit heavier than other AKM's I have handled/owned. The receivers seem to be thicker and there isn't any play when charging handle is worked. Is such a tight fit a good or bad thing with an AKM? Since these are American made receivers on the imported Yugo AKMs are they consistent with the original Yugo receivers? I know the Yugo AKM has an outstanding military service record with the original receivers but since I do not wish to actually fire mine does anyone here know if the new receivers lend themselves to reliability? Perhaps I'm a bit off topic here and I'm sure to get beat up for preserving the Yugo's as safe queens but since I've already got this typed I'll go ahead and post. :rolleyes:

Yugos are the tanks of the AK's.

You absolutely have to fire any weapon to know if it will be reliable.

Yes...I agree they are tanks. The Yugos are relatively new imports and I cannot remember reading anything bad about them. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of any chronic problems with the american made receivers. I've owned (5) CETME's and (3) of them needed work. The other (2) CETMEs ran fine after about 50-75 rounds fired through them. Seems the new receivers needed to shot in. I was curious if the Yugo's new receiver suffered from similar problems? I know each and every individual firearm is unique and the only way to establish reliability is to actually fire one. My question centers mostly on the quality of the Yugo's new receiver..

You'll find that "Norinco" AKs enjoy their status mostly due to 'mystique' and 'rarity'...

. . . after all, if it's rare, it's got to be high quality and valuable, right?

The Chinese AKs were the WASRs of their time. Their rarity has made them "great".

I know I'd like to add an old Polytech double UF to my collection....that would be like a Caddy.

The first AK I ever saw up close and held, was a Chinese bring back gun from Nam..the real deal. The wood was all bleached out looking and worn. There was wear on the bluing. But that baby was SWEET handling and operating. I wish I could have acquired that one.....could have had it for $500.

I don't think that third pin would have been to fun to own though...lol.

I know I'd like to add an old Polytech double UF to my collection....that would be like a Caddy.

The first AK I ever saw up close and held, was a Chinese bring back gun from Nam..the real deal. The wood was all bleached out looking and worn. There was wear on the bluing. But that baby was SWEET handling and operating. I wish I could have acquired that one.....could have had it for $500.

I don't think that third pin would have been to fun to own though...lol.

I have a fairly newly aquired Norinco rpk preban. It's deffinatly the tightest, smoothest AK variant that I have ever handled. The Yugo is a wonderful AK, but the Norinco rivals a milled model.

IMG_0452.jpg

I have always thought the Valmet and the Vepr rifles as the high end AK-type firearms. Both now are like a Maserati or Lamborghini, rare to find and expensive to purchase. They will also shatter any preconceived notion that all AK rifles have sloppy tolerances and cannot shoot tight groups beyond 100 yards.

Ouch desert dog! A Ford Pinto. That hurts...I've had (2) Romanian WASR AK's. ....

Don't worry about it t165, a lot of folks that like to talk about "WASRs" and think that they know all about them are simply referring to the single stack mag variant that was brought into the US by Century Arms and modified by them. They had a richly deserved reputation for spotty quality control. On the other hand the early ones used Russian Parts (Frankly mostly non-Mil-spec parts) and a Romy made receiver.

Now Romys built from kits are a whole different beast and if it has the triangle with arrow acceptance mark on the front trunnion it is a good parts set and if the builder used a good receiver and sound construction practice, a solid rifle. I would put one of my Romys up against any Arsenal, and frankly, have liitle concern about a Saiga making them look bad.

Nice weapon renegadebuck. If I'm thinking correctly your RPK has the heavier/thicker receiver like the Yugo. 1.5mm or 1.6mm? Perhaps that has much to do with the tight action. My Yugos feel like they are sliding on ball bearings. And I love the 308 VEPR...I almost bought one a few months back but decided to purchase (2) 308-1 Saigas instead. The cost for both Saigas was only $150.00 more than the cost of (1) VEPR...and no hi-caps seem to be found for the VEPR. That VEPR was freaking nice though...

The Norincos have the thicker receivers too. They are of good quality and will last longer than their owner. I like my VEPR better and sold the last Norinco I had. Any AK is better than no AK. :devil:

I've owned a Norinco since 1985 and it is a damn fine rifle. It has fired 1000s of rds with zero problems. It has been under water and full of mud. I might not call it the Cadillac of AKs, but it's good weapon.

I also had a Valmet M78. It was a well made rifle but It had firing pin problems. I broke 5 of them in the 10 years or so I had it. I got tired of the problems and sold it.

AK.jpg

Edited by Banshee
Nice weapon renegadebuck. If I'm thinking correctly your RPK has the heavier/thicker receiver like the Yugo. 1.5mm or 1.6mm? Perhaps that has much to do with the tight action. My Yugos feel like they are sliding on ball bearings. And I love the 308 VEPR...I almost bought one a few months back but decided to purchase (2) 308-1 Saigas instead. The cost for both Saigas was only $150.00 more than the cost of (1) VEPR...and no hi-caps seem to be found for the VEPR. That VEPR was freaking nice though...

Thanks, I started to clean it just for kicks and giggles before I shot it and the rifle was full of cosmo. What's the chances of getting a gun over 20 years old that's never been fired? It came in the original box also. I cleaned it and its really slick now!

Norinco the Cadillac of AKs? Doesn't this post belong in the jokes section?

Here's a tip:

Does "Made in China" inspire confidence in quality?

Patriot, I think you need to rethink that position. Yes the Chinese make shit, but they make a lot of it and that gave them money when the Soviets were almost broke. During that time the Chinese were much better quality than the Russians as they had the money and resourses to make a better gun. Think about it. If you're willing to pay $2 for something shitty, throw it away when it breaks and then buy another, why should I sell you a Snap-On wrench? If you keep buying that means you will pay more in the end and I don't have to warrant it. That doesn't mean I don't build Snap-On for myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Norinco the Cadillac of AKs? Doesn't this post belong in the jokes section?

Here's a tip:

Does "Made in China" inspire confidence in quality?

Patriot, I think you need to rethink that position. Yes the Chinese make shit, but they make a lot of it and that gave them money when the Soviets were almost broke. During that time the Chinese were much better quality than the Russians as they had the money and resourses to make a better gun. Think about it. If you're willing to pay $2 for something shitty, throw it away when it breaks and then buy another, why should I sell you a Snap-On wrench? If you keep buying that means you will pay more in the end and I don't have to warrant it. That doesn't mean I don't build Snap-On for myself.

OK....I rethought it. My position stands. Buy good stuff. Buy it ONCE. I will not debate this.

Meh... I like my MAK-90. Actually seems just a li'l better built than my Saiga.

I don't know if I'd call *any* AK a "Cadillac", though. More like a '65 Ford pickup with a straight-6 and 3-on-the-tree - it's never going to be a beauty queen, but damned if it won't always run!