MD 20 tower extension

dinzag, what are your thoughts on adding a tower extension to my MD- 20 drum so it will work with my new millinium custom II magwell whether by plastic welding or other means similar to franken mags and thanks for all you have done for the Saiga platforms! :smoke:

dinzag, what are your thoughts on adding a tower extension to my MD- 20 drum so it will work with my new millinium custom II magwell whether by plastic welding or other means similar to franken mags and thanks for all you have done for the Saiga platforms! :smoke:

Plastic welding won't work. Even a Drader plastic welder doesn't get hot enough to melt the material the drum is made of good enough to get a good bond. My sonic welders can't do it either. Even if you had something hot enough it will be so hot that any of the donor tower from the factory or after market mags will be a smoking, bubbling puddle. There is proff to this, just watch the 20ga drum test video I filmed. And keep in mind that is a 20ga with a lot less recoil and ammo weight. Too much weight hanging under the weld seam.

It can be done... but it will be a damn job to figure out the best way. You would have to bolt it on. Bolt the drum and tower together. In order to fit it in the magwell still you would have to cut some material away from the magwell or have the tower section that holds the bolted brace sticking out from under the magwell. I know a lot have probably given up on my magwell but don't. I just bought a $100k plus, 5 axis, high speed mold making machine! I have a great idea for a new magwell design. A Lot of stuff is getting ready to change from MD Arms! After making the drum... most of my other ideas will be a sintch in comparison!

Plastic welding won't work. Even a Drader plastic welder doesn't get hot enough to melt the material the drum is made of good enough to get a good bond. My sonic welders can't do it either. Even if you had something hot enough it will be so hot that any of the donor tower from the factory or after market mags will be a smoking, bubbling puddle. There is proff to this, just watch the 20ga drum test video I filmed. And keep in mind that is a 20ga with a lot less recoil and ammo weight. Too much weight hanging under the weld seam.

It can be done... but it will be a damn job to figure out the best way. You would have to bolt it on. Bolt the drum and tower together. In order to fit it in the magwell still you would have to cut some material away from the magwell or have the tower section that holds the bolted brace sticking out from under the magwell. I know a lot have probably given up on my magwell but don't. I just bought a $100k plus, 5 axis, high speed mold making machine! I have a great idea for a new magwell design. A Lot of stuff is getting ready to change from MD Arms! After making the drum... most of my other ideas will be a sintch in comparison!

Mike thank you for taking the time to chime in here- I will wait and see what you come up with.....you have not let us down yet!!