Why is my new $1200 Arsenal Krinkov rougher than my $339 Sai

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is over a year old. Yes, sopmod got a shitty unit, but it was the exception not the rule. Arsenal puts out a great product.

Yeah, the order of magnitude difference in price made me wonder as well. Still, for $38...   They also have an AK-105 FSB for $108. Would that work?

Holy Crap! Arsenal's "Captain Monkey Hammer" struck again!

SLR-107URSightEars.jpg

The same side as the mushroomed FSGB edge also got on of the sight ears beat crooked,LOL

The guy that built this is a supreme stumblebum that should give up his job instantly to any of a dozen of our forum members who could build circles around this primate in the world of AK building.

How in the hell would I fix that without heating it up with a torch so hot that it wouldn't screw up the heat treatment of the part?

Edited by SOPMOD
My local dealer would give me a refund. Is that an option for you?

Dean.

It would be if it was an item they had already had in stock but they custom ordered this just for me and they can't eat it when they only charged me 10% above cost for an item that was really hard for them to get.

They asked me if I wanted them to send it back and I had them check if there was another one to replace it with and the answer was NO so I will probably end up keeping it.

Interestingly enough the test target is the tightest I have seen with any Arsenal AK and the sight alignment is laser perfect and that is not a common occurence with mas produced AKs so it would probably be a pretty good rifle once I burned the warts off of it,LOL

I would sell it at a quick profit and put the money back into a Krink kit and a spare Saiga. If you have the skills and it certainly sounds like you do, this is nothing that you can trust like a rifle that you built yourself!

But, it a way, it is good to know that the AK Smiths at Arsenal are carrying on the proud tradition of turning out a few Monday Morning Vodka Specials!

Now you know why I preach "Don't drink the Arsenal koolaid" (was it monkey piss or cat piss they used?) and "Don't pay for a name"

I'd sell that puppy NIB as it sits to somebody that likes cat-piss-koolaid and get what you want.

Edited by nalioth

If I had a well sighted in AK, I'd go to church the next day. That's a miracle. A magic miracle. I got one of those AK front sight tools, and let me tell you, worst $10 I ever spent. All it does is scratch paint.

It is an AK, but $1200? I'd be pissed about the front sight hood if I spent $1200. The most I ever spent on a gun was $900 on my FAL. And man, that thing is nice and everything fits great.

I bought a WASR, and it is the crappiest gun I own. It is depressing, EVERYTHING is crooked. And it eats magazines.

Edited by Twinsen

I see these questions a lot on numerous gunboards; "Bought this NIB gun, it's got some things wrong with it, what should I do?".

You start to see a bunch of "Who gives a shit? It's a tool. If it works, it's fine. Quit crying. You'll put bigger scratches in it by using it........if you're using it like you should!" type of replies.

But personally, when I buy something NIB, I want it to look NIB. If it has scratches/minor blemishes on it, I want to be the one to put them there. If it has screwed up sights, Iwant to be the one who screwed them up.

I don't want all that when I pay top dollar for a NIB gun. Maybe that's just me.

I can see why you'd be pissed.

Ah, this is a no brainer........ Send it back for a REPLACEMENT not a repair. These are beyond the normal manufacturing dings and dents. Send with it a detailed explaination on the items that are wrong, and request a new one, simple, or your money back.

Ah, this is a no brainer........ Send it back for a REPLACEMENT not a repair. These are beyond the normal manufacturing dings and dents. Send with it a detailed explaination on the items that are wrong, and request a new one, simple, or your money back.

SOPMOD said:

They asked me if I wanted them to send it back and I had them check if there was another one to replace it with and the answer was NO so I will probably end up keeping it.

But I'm assuming this is for the vendor he got it from. Surely the manufacturer should be able to replace, SOPMOD, no? I would hope so anyway, being that it's NIB.

I don't think I have ever seen an AK that didn't have the majority of the issues you have mentioned but they were from CAI. I agree if you pay 1200 for a NIB AK it should be perfect but now days my cost on a CAI Wasr10 is 650 and thats no BS 650. The Wasr's are fictional but not worth that. The S12's are almost up too 600 and they have tool marks and poor finishes as well as all the other problems you all know about. They started out around $300 a few years ago.

Being an FFL I have seen my share if NIB crap. Usually from CAI and I ended up fixing all their screw ups and even some complete refinish work. I had an 2 CAI AES 10B rifles and when I decreased them the parkerizing came off. The sanding marks were so deep on the wood that I spent hours trying to get them out. The cleaning rods wouldn't go back in and they had horrid welds on the carry handle attachments.

I've had NIB pistols form Taurus (PT1911) and they looked slightly used. I ordered a Noveski AR for a customer and it had some minor dings and tools marks as well. He was not happy.

The majority of clone rifles are made from parts kits here in the US, other than the DSA FAL and PTR 91. I am sure there are others as well.

If you send it back you may get one thats worse. Been there Done that. If It was mine I would fix it. But thats just me.

i think if you can, you should put it on GB and sell that sucker. If you have some good gunsmithing skills, then you have a project on your hands. when you repair all the various items, you should have a nice AK on your hands.

still i've seen many at auction for much more than you paid, and damn if they dont sell, so i'm sure you could unload it if you want to.

good luck! :smoke:

Edited by rangerdavid

Dont sell it because then you will be part of the problem with all jokers selling junk just to get it off their own hands & pass it on to the next man. Send back have them fix & tell them to send you some Bulgy Circle 10 Mags and a few spare parts for your troubles.

If you were to sell it on GB make sure to put up a lot of photos so the person knows what they are getting. I am sure the gun functions fine and some people expect some flaws on an AK maybe not for that price. The price is in the name.

Or try and send it back.

Here is their Waranty policy. Take a look at the bold part. (according to factory standards) They may say it just fine the way it is. 14 lbs trigger pull :unsure:

ARSENAL LIMITED WARRANTY

This warranty covers any service, repair and /or replacement of any product manufactured or imported by Arsenal Inc. This ensures that all Arsenal Inc. products are fully functional and free from manufacturing defects, according to factory standards.

The duration of this warranty covers any Arsenal Inc. product for, but not limited to, one year from the original purchase of the product.

This warranty does not cover, but not limited to, damage caused by failure to provide proper care and maintenance, abuse and/or misuse, improper ammunition and/or magazine, unauthorized adjustments, repairs, or modifications, normal wear, or cosmetic defects after one year from original purchase.

Failure to provide proper care and maintenance, abuse and/or misuse, improper ammunition and/or magazine, unauthorized adjustments, repairs, or modification, any replacement of factory installed component with any non-factory proved component will automatically void this warranty.

Fix and polish the trigger (easy enough) and put the gun for sale on GB or consignment.

Someone will be happy to buy it and keep it as it is.

Make sure you give a correct description of the gun so people know what they are buying (small blemish on front sight bloc and sight ear slightly bent).

Get yourself a Kinkov kit before it is too late and built it to your standards, I am sure you have the skills to do that.

fuck that, that's a ton of money. I'd either get in touch with a rep on the phone and talk to them nicely about. See if you can get a fix OR a refund. 1200 bucks can be used elsewhere for a nice weapon. No need to waste that much money on something with poor work like that. I really like Arsenal, this is the first time i've seen work like that from them. I wish you good luck, and please follow up with us to let us know how they are.

Well after listening to your replies I think I am going to do a combination approach using elements of all of your suggestions.

1.I am going to contact Arsenal and see what they will do.

2.I am going to ask them if they will send me replacement parts that I can install myself since I know my work will be right.

3.I am going to ask them if fixing these items myself will void my warranty.

4.I am going to see if they will give me a freebie for my trouble(like one of those dummy PBS suppressors or a waffle mag)

5.I am not going to peddle this off on someone as it sits because that would make me a real stinker,LOL

ARSENAL'S CAPTAIN MONKEY HAMMER STRIKES AGAIN!

Who in the hell does this kind of work on an AK?

I went to take off the "thread protector" to measure the high spot on the front of the gas block and it looks like the same nincompoop that beat the crap out of the sight ears and gas block also managed to bash the damned muzzle thread so badly I could barely get the "thread protector" off of it.

SLR-107URUnusableGasBlockThreads2.jpg

I am planning to purchase an AAC Krinkov suppressor for this rifle so this weapon has officially left the cosmetically screwed up category and has now entered the functionally unusable category.

A few other gems from Arsenal Inc's CAPTAIN MONKEY HAMMER for your amusement

Loose,cockeyed gas tube retainer

SLR-107URCockeyedGasTubeRetainer.jpg

Razor sharp,cockeyed Top Cover Retaining Lug on back of recoil spring assembly

SLR-107URRazorSharpCockeyedTopCover.jpg

Puckered Rivet?WTF?Was this built by some kid in their garage with a rivet squeezer on a Tapco flat?

SLR-107URPuckeredRivets.jpg

See the rear of the gas block around the barrel is mushroomed too.Did they beat this off of a used barrel with a piton and a sledge hammer?

SLR-107URGasBlock02.jpg

The fact that this rifle's gas block has no fewer than 6 heavy steel deforming hammer blows is a testament to it's toughness but I would have preferred to torture test the rifle myself,LOL

Edited by SOPMOD
A few other gems from Arsenal USA's CAPTAIN MONKEY HAMMER for your amusement

Is this rifle made by Arsenal, Inc. of Las Vegas, NV, or Arsenal USA of Texas?

It's Arsenal Inc of Las Vegas NV(I edited my post to avoid confusion now,thanks)

I have a question. Is this gun built from a de milled parts kit? Import regulations say no AW's can be imported. So from what I understand, this gun is actually a pats kit built in the US on an imported receiver. If this is a stupid question I am sorry. I am not familiar with this company.

If so the parts where made by a military arsenal and dents dings and other flaws would pass inspection. Remember this is an AW made for 1000's of troops and for basic accuracy. Too make it legal as a US gun 922r applies. That would mean they did all that was needed to make if compliant. I know that as far as over zealous hammer marks and bent ears on the sight base would not count as defects as long as the rifle functions. The Finnish look to be hi quality and I bet that's what makes it so expensive as well as the name.

I was in the Marine Corp and and every weapon I was issued I always remembered that it was made by the lowest bider. My Berreta mags had rust on them due to bad and missing bluing. Nuf said.

I have a question. Is this gun built from a de milled parts kit? Import regulations say no AW's can be imported. So from what I understand, this gun is actually a pats kit built in the US on an imported receiver. If this is a stupid question I am sorry. I am not familiar with this company.

If so the parts where made by a military arsenal and dents dings and other flaws would pass inspection. Remember this is an AW made for 1000's of troops and for basic accuracy. Too make it legal as a US gun 922r applies. That would mean they did all that was needed to make if compliant. I know that as far as over zealous hammer marks and bent ears on the sight base would not count as defects as long as the rifle functions. The Finnish look to be hi quality and I bet that's what makes it so expensive as well as the name.

I was in the Marine Corp and and every weapon I was issued I always remembered that it was made by the lowest bider. My Berreta mags had rust on them due to bad missing bluing. Nuf said.

No, these guns are entirely built in Bulgaria from new parts.

They are imported here with proprietary mag wells (for proprietary 10 round mags) which are milled open at Arsenal's Las Vegas facilities (just like Century does the WASRS, just with less monkeys). 922r is satisfied at this time, as well.

Edited by nalioth

I was in the Marine Corp and and every weapon I was issued I always remembered that it was made by the lowest bider. My Berreta mags had rust on them due to bad missing bluing. Nuf said.

No, these guns are entirely built in Bulgaria from new parts.

They are imported here with proprietary mag wells (for proprietary 10 round mags) which are milled open at Arsenal's Las Vegas facilities (just like Century does the WASRS, just with less monkeys). 922r is satisfied at this time, as well.

Thanks for answeing my question and not making me feel like and idiot. He needs to send the gun back and hopfully he will get the replacemnt that he deserves. For 1200 that gun should be prefect.