Observations from my first conversion

I have a 223 and use Saiga specific mags. I was tempted to put one of the 7.62 that came it at the local shop on layaway, but I would want to use standard AK mags for it. WHAT EXACTLY did you have to do to make you Saiga take metal AK mags besides the bullet guide. I have searched threads, but found only occasional mentions here and there. :wub:

Edited by imarangemaster
I have a 223 and use Saiga specific mags. I was tempted to put one of the 7.62 that came it at the local shop on layaway, but I would want to use standard AK mags for it. WHAT EXACTLY did you have to do to make you Saiga take metal AK mags besides the bullet guide. I have searched threads, but found only occasional mentions here and there. :wub:

You should have seen more than "occasional mentions" - it even addresses this on the bible.

You have two choices:

a) grind your rifles magazine release. This is done at the top, and you should grind a little bit and fit, grind a little bit and fit.

or

B) grind all your mags as shown

I have given definite instructions here on this more than once.

YOUR SEARCH TERM HERE site:saiga-12.com

The above is the key to a good search result. Use it in a Google search box. No forum software search function can come close to it.

Edited by nalioth

Thanks,

I had seen posts about Tapcos,, etc, but didn't see metal.. Guess I was too lazy to look long enough. I am kicking myself for not putting one on layaway when he had them.

I knew about the bullet guide, and figured about the trimming the mag catch from a post on Tapcos. I wasn't sure about side demensions, top etc. Having the 223, I use Saiga specific, but I know there are different mods for Galil, Weiger, Arsenal 223 gas beside catch and bullet guide.

I promise to research a little harder next time. :cryss:

Edited by imarangemaster

Look at the tab on the rear of an AK mag. It is a few mm thicker than the tab on a Saiga Mag. The mag catch on the Saiga is just a bit too long to allow the AK mag to properly snap in. You need to grind away metal from the part of the catch that comes into contact with the rear tab of the mag.

I used a flat file and a dremel diamond tip grinding rod for the hard to reach parts.

Thanks,

I had seen posts about Tapcos,, etc, but didn't see metal.. Guess I was too lazy to look long enough. I am kicking myself for not putting one on layaway when he had them.

I knew about the bullet guide, and figured about the trimming the mag catch from a post on Tapcos. I wasn't sure about side demensions, top etc. Having the 223, I use Saiga specific, but I know there are different mods for Galil, Weiger, Arsenal 223 gas beside catch and bullet guide.

I promise to research a little harder next time. :cryss:

Mag Options - Saiga-12.com

Honestly, I'd recommend fitting the mags to the rifle instead of the rifle to the mags. I had to eat away a lot of metal to get the mags to fit.

Flawed logic dude. If S.H.T.F. and all your buddys are running around with AK's. Your in a fight and you run dry, your buddy tosses you a mag................now since you fit YOUR MAGS to YOUR GUN your gonna dump his mag and reload the ammo into YOUR mag?

Fuk that............nevermind we'll split your gear when your dead any way :haha:

Fit the rifle to the mags

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...