IS this normal?

Judging from the picture you posted it looks like you have the skeleton stock (or thats what I call it). Still it appears to be cracked (Captain obvious :angel: ). I posted a picture below of how my buttstock fits. I would call RAAC and see if they would send a replacement without having to send the whole firearm in.

post-14788-1234660109_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I jumped off too soon. After looking closer is the buttstock cracked or is it made that way? The camera angle shadow makes the ridge look like a crack. If the buttstock isn't damaged then it is made of plastic and it is not entirely unknown for AK owners to do a little whittling of parts for a bit better fit.

While we are on the subject of stocks...could I swap out the buttstock of my Saiga 308 with a regular wooden AKM buttstock? One of the members on here replaced his Saiga 308-1 plastic with some really nice blonde furniture but I cannot find the picture anymore. I guess a better question would be if any of the advertisers on this site make custom wood furniture specifically for the 308 Saiga version?

Looks like you need to measure twice and cut once, thats why some parts supplies say "some fitting/gunsmithing required", Remove the top cover and get a bright flashlight or the equivelent and take a look and see where the stock is hitting internally then use some paper, or rasp or other abrasive device to remove some stock material until proper clearance is obtained, good luck Karl

t165,were you looking at the stock I had made for my 308 thats in my avatar?

That was a home made stock,but there are a few places that make/carry wood furniture,people here on the BB

No...but that is nice. I wish I had the talent to whittle my own.