DID NOT buy the S12... umm... well... changed my mind...

SO I am at a local shop who has a 22" barrel S12 in stock... $599.99... Pricey... but THERE... I was GOING to buy it... I looked it all over... looked GOOD... Then a little voice reminded me of something... "check the gas ports... Check the gas ports..."

I start to unscrew the gas adjustment plug and the sales clerk says " We arent supposed to take the guns apart" ... I said to him calmly... "If you want to make a sale, you will let me UNSCREW this plug thats MADE to be unscrewed anyways... Because if it has JUST the two ports, I DO NOT WANT IT... If its got 4 ports, I will start filling out the NICS form!! "

I saved $600.00 today. It only had two ports, and from what I have been reading, it will be more hassle than its eworth to mess with it... I want to shoot low base shells... I dont want to have to polish, and smooth, and fuck with it... I just want it to work out of the box...

I was rather bummed, to be honest... but ah well... maybe another one will come along with the proper config of ports... :up:

:smoke:

Yeah I don't blame you who knows how long RAA's generosity will last with the free warranty work. Although I looked at it this way, at least I know if I send it to CGW I know it will be vented correctly and tested by an American company. But I think if I knew before hand and it was $600 I would walk away also.

The number of ports has nothing to do with how well the gun works, and longer barrels can get away with less total gas porting than shorter barrels. In fact, two of my friends have S-12's with only two ports, and they work flawlessly. It was my three port that was not completely drilled all the way through, that was the first problematic gun they ever saw. When it comes down to it, there can also be a thing as too much porting. I would rather have a S-12 with too little porting, and open them up some, than have one ported to death and be a battering ram to my reciever when shooting the heavy load the gun was designed for. Being able to cycle low powered ammo reliably, may have your gun over-recoiling with the tough stuff. The hammering effect of an over-recoiling weapon does plenty of damage to the gun over time. Remember, this gun was designed to shoot man-shot, not bird-shot.

I believe that you can find some 19" S-12 over the net for less than $600 these days.

Why messing with a 22"?

I agree. I know classicarms.us had some for $600, but they may be sold out now. That's only one place, but I haven't been looking for one. I would check with the forum vendors first, if I were you(if you haven't already).

ETA, Looks like CGW has them for $600 shipped. Great guys to deal with.

Edited by bigj480
Why messing with a 22"?

Because I *WANT* the 22" barrel.

I can get short barrel S12's all day long for $549.00 in my area. DO NOT WANT.

Personally, I think the shorter barrels look like SHIT... But thats just MY opinion... YMMV.

22" guns should be an old EAA gun. RAA imports 19" and 24"

my 22" is a 3 port gun. I also equally hate gun stores that won't let you take a look at the internals, I understand why they do it but I still don't like it.

Well, this has got to be a 24" then... ITS LONG!! and I love it!! LOL Its an '08...

Oh so now you're just lying to us lowly members :haha:

You could always pull the number off it, I can't remember the 24" model numbers though.

Railed or rifle sights?

Well... I changed my mind... Went to another shop even closer... They also had a 24" S12. $5.00 cheaper than the other place...

I checked... :eek:

yuppers... 2 gas ports... rifle style sights... :unsure:

Screw it... its sitting here next to me now. :up::lol:

I ran 5 rounds through it... trap reloads... all 5 as fast as I could pull the trigger... Thats good enough for me! :up: :up:

Gratz, welcome to the club :)

HEY HEY!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

It's nice to see there are other folks in the "Dozen-Saiga" Club as well!!!

This makes my Third S-12!!! :up: ( although I would have had 4 of them if I didnt sell one a couple years back...)

DO we get pins or buttons for being in the club?? :lol:

Gratz, welcome to the club :)

HEY HEY!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

It's nice to see there are other folks in the "Dozen-Saiga" Club as well!!!

This makes my Third S-12!!! :up: ( although I would have had 4 of them if I didnt sell one a couple years back...)

DO we get pins or buttons for being in the club?? :lol:

I'm sure I could come up with a suitable decal.... :haha:

psssh , Im still on my first s12! and I WILL break it, one day!!!! I know it wont be TWO day, as well....

3 12s huh indy? oh you got a problem, thats for sure!!! :)

I must agree - lol.

I shot 25 slugs through mine yesterday.

Those things are so strong that I honestly thought I might be doing some kind of internal damage to the Saiga. The kick was much more powerful than any other rounds I have previously cycled - including 00 buck - and the shells flew completely over a Hummer I was standing next to.

I took it apart just to check.

Shiiiiiiit....

I couldn't even tell the thing had been fired. It didn't look any different than any other day.

I am amazed at the durability of these things.

I am not sure what I'd have to do to wear it out (other than maybe shooting those rounds on setting #2).

Thought I would edit for a relatively quick range report on my two newer Saiga 12 shotguns.

First off... Disappointment... Both will cycle just about flawlessly on the number two setting... with light loads... go figure. Thats what they are designed to do...

However, on setting number one... BOTH the (4 gas port) 19" and the (2 gas port) 24" will fail to cycle and FTE virtually every round.

In time, I know they will both cycle everything just fine... my older S12, with a full choke 22" barrel will cycle the lightest loads on setting 1 without a hiccup... although I have run thousands of rounds through it, and its smooth as silk when I cycle it...

Just gotta break em in... Takes time... and will cost significantly more than it used to with ammo costs the way they are... But ah well... what can ya do?!?!?

buy screw on chokes, Indy?

bounce - come on, get some 15 pellet 00 buck 3". see how 100 of those feel on your shoulder. :) Then you will understand why I have the s308 wood butt with recoil pad on mine still....because i rarely shoot anything that is designed for gas setting two.

bounce - come on, get some 15 pellet 00 buck 3". see how 100 of those feel on your shoulder. :) Then you will understand why I have the s308 wood butt with recoil pad on mine still....because i rarely shoot anything that is designed for gas setting two.

Yeah, the Saiga loves the high-powered rounds.

I love it.

I have some 3" rounds. I'll try them next time out.

The Saiga really is a monster.

It's an amazing and devastating weapon.

With the right conversion, it'd make a great trench-gun.

Ill stick to my 3" shells all day, thanks :)

I was admittedly reluctant, about pulling this firearm (the s12) into my collection. UNTIL i found out they take 3" shells.

I cannot say enough about the gun, itself. I CAN say, stop feeding it pussy rounds, however!!! BE A MAN and fire 3" . 3" is a good happy medium, I think. Quite the cannon round, but still subdued (ever fire an 8 gauge or a large bored H+H?)

Ill stick to my 3" shells all day, thanks :)

I was admittedly reluctant, about pulling this firearm (the s12) into my collection. UNTIL i found out they take 3" shells.

I cannot say enough about the gun, itself. I CAN say, stop feeding it pussy rounds, however!!! BE A MAN and fire 3" . 3" is a good happy medium, I think. Quite the cannon round, but still subdued (ever fire an 8 gauge or a large bored H+H?)

8 gauge? LOL No. Large bore H + H? No.

Listen, the Saiga with the slugs is plenty for my candy-ass. The 3" 00 buck will be good. However, I agree with you about the "cannon" bit.

I was dinking around with the cap-gun shit (low brass wally world value pack Federal) and nearly missed what the thing is clearly made for - CANNON ROUNDS.

The slugs and the magnum 00 buck are in an entirely different world.

I love it.

I really like knowing that the machine is built for it.