I was hoping to benefit from the worldly experience or the board for this one. I've been planning on relocating to Idaho for some time, but now I'm reconsidering on account of the rumored large populations of Aryan Nation, Neo-Nazis, militant religionists and generally intolerant and small minded people. If this is the case, I have a feeling that if I started speaking my mind there I would quickly get to know how Galileo felt.

So now I'm wondering what the other states are all about, and I was hoping for some input here. So far I really only have first-hand experience in the west coast. Here's a list of my ideal criteria. I know that no state will really be my ideal one; I just want to find the best compromise I can. I would want my new home to:

- be gun friendly (of course)

- be more or less moderate in its political values, not veering too far left or right, but preferably slightly on the right side

- not be too dependent on the Federal gov't. Of course they all are to a degree, but you know what I mean: more on the independent end of the spectrum than the others.

- have an ecosystem suitable to life. Good rainfall, soil, that kind of thing. Someplace where stuff grows well. Deserts aren't meant for people. <_<

- have a well-functioning energy industry.

- have a low cost of living. (I did say ideal...)

- not be too isolated.

I know, I'm pretty much being Goldilocks here. I want my state to be juuuust right. :rolleyes: Anybody have any suggestions?

Stay where you are. DO NOT come to Texas as you wouldn't last long. People from the peoples republic of kommifornia generally try and take their retarded ideas with them and can't wait to screw up where ever they decide to go. Kind of like the influx of illegal aliens wanting to bring all their garbage with them and yet enjoy someplace that is better precisely because it is not like where they came from. No offense to Hallboss, who would be welcome, but you have tipped your hand too much. Stay put, you and everyone else will be much happier.

Thanks for all the (serious) suggestions so far! I'm liking Ohio except for two things: it's heavily populated and the gun laws suck. (No concealed handgun permits issued at all; even Kalifornia gives them out here and there) I'll continue to look more closely at the other states mentioned. Texas and Arizona are high on the research consideration list. Keep the input coming!

If Idaho is where you want to go and the only thing holding you back are the Neo-Nazis and those types of people, then go to Idaho anyway. Just do what the vast majority of Idahoans do and don't associate with those people. While there may be more per capita there than other places its not like the state is overrun with them. They tend to stay down in their little holes and mingle with their own kind anyway. Go where YOU want to go.

NORTH DAKOTA!!! You can pretty much do whatever you want, and everyone's friendly. You have wide open plains for hunting, Mountains to the West, 10,000 lakes to the East, and Canada to the North. It's quite, peaceful, you have racist assholes everywhere, but I have yet to run into any kind of Nazi like organizations. I like it here...and when SHTF...I can barricade my family and I into our village. No surprises...that's whats so great about this place...just my $.02

I suggest Montana, I lived there for 15 years and recommend the eastern parts. There is a large lala leftist area in the south western part (mostly Cal transplants who brought the leftest ideals) but if you have the right frame of mind, if you really are willing to move to make a difference, the big sky state needs help.

Down side is how much of it is gov owned. They could lockout guns from the BLM (big loss that would be, as it is heaven for shooting).

Just remember, men are men, women are scarce and sheep are scared of it.

frosty

Missouri is under rated, the outskirts of St Louis tend to be a well kept secret. Good gun laws, good land, fairly inexpensive, and a slightly larger area or red voters. The only down side depends on what you want to do to make your $$$. We've been steadily loosing large well paying companies for the last few years.

Thanks for all the (serious) suggestions so far! I'm liking Ohio except for two things: it's heavily populated and the gun laws suck. (No concealed handgun permits issued at all; even Kalifornia gives them out here and there) I'll continue to look more closely at the other states mentioned. Texas and Arizona are high on the research consideration list. Keep the input coming!

UM...

i have a concealed license.

i am in cow town Ohio.

its good for 5 years + an additional 5 after that with a renewal fee, not test of 40 bucks..

and if you go 20 - 30 minutes out side of any ohio city/town, you will find vast tracks of land..

any how, i would move to oregon or alaska

EXCUSE ME??!? We have CCW in Ohio! Where you getting your info from?? :rolleyes: Granted, the law was passed about 6 years ago, but we now have it, nonetheless. :smoke:

Dude, check out the Hampton Roads Virginia area, great climate, plenty of work even in an economic downturn, still got open space, cost of living not too bad, water, lotts O water, some of the best fishin in the world. I came here in 85 from Ohio, stayed 5 years, left for 3, came back and I'm still here. I grew up in Ohio and have MUCH family all over the state, I left because I couldn't BUY a good job. Virginia also has some of the most liberal firearms laws in the country, I open carry, I'm going this week to get my CCL. Give me a PM and I'll talk to you if you want. :smoke:

Dean.

If Idaho is where you want to go and the only thing holding you back are the Neo-Nazis and those types of people, then go to Idaho anyway. Just do what the vast majority of Idahoans do and don't associate with those people. While there may be more per capita there than other places its not like the state is overrun with them. They tend to stay down in their little holes and mingle with their own kind anyway. Go where YOU want to go.

I'm trying to figure out what's so bad about having a few "Neo's" and "Ayrians" sprinkled around the place you want to live at? Shit, you don't see the trashy blacks jumping up and down on the hood of someone's car screaming "let's see your titties, ho" when there are a few non-pussified whites willing to speak up and hopefully keep things in check. :unsure:

And don't give me any PC shit about "Whitey" being overtly racist. I presently live in an enclave (township) situated between two blighted, trashy minority infested living areas. Even the few distinguished blacks who also live here roll their eyes in disbelief and get in their relatively nice cars to leave quickly when the "Nigger" SEPTA public transportation bus (the minorities who ride in it's own name for it, not mine) rolls into the parking lot of the local Wal Mart, and the Negroes and Puerto Ricans presently traveling in it disembark (usually fighting amongst each other the whole time :rolleyes: ) get out of it, and holler for their six or eight "yo, little Niggers" children to stay close at hand. :rolleyes:

And guess when most of the shoplifting incidents and car break-in incidents in the parking lot happen at this particular Wal Mart (even with a township police car standing out in front of it?). :unsure:

Not to defend the racist whites any, but to claim strained race relation problems exist because of them. :blush: