OK, so call me a N00B

See now you know why I won't even buy birdshot for my S12 anymore. That is why I want a rifled barrel for sabot slugs :super::beer:

Would you please explain the sabot thing???

After the range, I blew through Wally World, but they didn't have any slugs or buck. So, I went directly to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a bunch more slugs. I saw the Sabots, but they were $13 for five rounds. I decided I'd check here before I paid that kind of buckage for five rounds.

What's up with them?

Slugs are bad ass.

goto box O truth .com and see what they do to bullet proof glass.

I'll do that.

I've gotta say, the slugs are AMAZING. As in, NO FUCKING SHIT AMAZING.

If I am going to engage a target at 100 yards, I'd rather have my S-12 with slugs than an AK or an AR. That's no shit.

These things are truly incredible.

Unless they've developed something new, I think they still use a fine lead powder packed really tightly to bust doors. That's what we used, but that was some time time ago. They might do it differently now. The dust hit like a ton of bricks at the muzzle, but dissipated quickly so as not to hurt anyone inside, or ricochet off a locking mechanism or hinge and hit you.

Corbin

Is it slugs that they use to breech doors?

I can believe it.

Bounce12,sabot rounds are designed for rifled barrels.They are comprised of a bullet encased in a two-piece shell.The rifling imparts a spin to the bullet,the shell seperates and falls away upon exit from the barrel,and the bullet itself travels farther and more accurately than a slug.Excellent for hunting :super:

I am speaking from a slightly educated standpoint, most of which I got here. There are basically two types of slugs, Sabot (sab O) and Brenneke.

Brenneke slugs have rifling cast into the slug itself and as it travels down the barrel the rifling spins the slug. I've heard their loose tolerances between the barrel and the slug does not allow for the most precise spin. It does increase accuracy, but not that much. With these rounds and a smooth barrel, I get some pretty big groups at about 75 yards (<5").

Sabot slugs are more of a true rifle bullet with a plastic type capsule surrounding the bullet. Since these have no rifling of their own, you need to use these with a rifled barrel. I've been told that when using the plastic casing, they can neck down on the tolerances for a more consistant spin. Once the slug leaves the barrel, the sabot (plastic) seperates from the bullet. The result is more accuracy. I've heard people report 2" groups at 150 yards. Some guys claim 200 yards with these rounds, but usually those posts/statements are met with some pretty stiff opposition.

Brenneke slugs offer more lead and some would say more knock down. Sabots offer more range, accuracy and velocity in some cases.

Check this out. These are the reason I want a rifled barrel.

This is what I have found with the research I've done, hope it helped

Darin

Edited by hallboss

I hate to burst your joy-bubble, but that was just "bullet RESISTANT" plastic. not a true "bulletproof glass" which has polymer layering between the panes of glass.

I am not saying what they did was not impressive... but dont think you can shoot through the windows of armourd trucks and stuff with a 12 gauge now... You will still need to kep that 50 BMG on hand for the difficult tasks... :lol:

:smoke:

Bounce12,sabot rounds are designed for rifled barrels.They are comprised of a bullet encased in a two-piece shell.The rifling imparts a spin to the bullet,the shell seperates and falls away upon exit from the barrel,and the bullet itself travels farther and more accurately than a slug.Excellent for hunting :super:

Thanks Telly! Thanks Hallboss!

I appreciate it. No wonder they're so expensive.

Edited by Bounce12