GAS TUBE REMOVAL

New to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. After reading TONS of posts here, I decided to buy a Saiga .223. You guys were right, these guns rock. I was amazed at just how easy they are to field strip (more on that later), more like a Glock or a Sig than a Colt pistol. I shot the gun for the first time today and loved it. Soon I will start "making it mine" with a bunch of modifications, once I make up my mind exactly what I want the gun to look like and handle like. Now for my first NEWBIE question: Just how and the heck do you get the gas tube off? If I've read the manual and other posts correctly, you have to take the gas tube off before you can remove the forearm. My problem is that I can't get the gas tube off of the rifle. I have rotated the little lever next to the sight and have tapped on the gas tube as much as I dare so as not to damage it, but it still only moves a very little bit. Am I doing something wrong, or are there any hints that will help during this first field strip? Thanks!

I've tried and tried, but I haven't been able to get it off. It must be a really tight fit. I've opened and closed the lever at least 20 times and tried to lift out the gas tube wtih no luck. Like I said earlier, I've tapped on quite a bit and have only managed to have it move just a little bit. I just oiled the tube where it meets the receiver, so hopefully it will seep in and loosen things up. Is this unusual to my rifle, or do they come really tightly fitted and loosen up over time?

It's supposed to lift off from the back. Try looping a piece of string under it and yanking it out. By the way, you can get the foregrip off by removing the one screw on the bottom at the very front of the receiver, whacking the foregrip upwards just forward of the screw, and sliding it forwards.

Edited by Mike the Wolf

There is a slot in the round metal tube that holds the cleaning gear that you put on the tab that sticks out and use as it as a lever. Tap on the tube with a rubber mallet LIGHTLY before rotating the lever up. Mine was so tight, that's what I had to do.

There is a slot in the round metal tube that holds the cleaning gear that you put on the tab that sticks out and use as it as a lever. Tap on the tube with a rubber mallet LIGHTLY before rotating the lever up. Mine was so tight, that's what I had to do.

+1

Also make sure when you move the lever up that you look to ensure that the flat face of the lever that rides again the gas tube is flush with the sight block face.

If you're already doing that I've noticed that the added spring steel on the gas tube can possibly make it harder to remove. I would do as suggested and tie a piece of string or 550 cord around the tube and lift it up while ensuring that the lever is flush with the sight block.

You might also try to push down on the gas tube while trying to move the lever to help take some pressure off of the lever. I had to do this to one of my Polish AKM's once, and after I removed the tube had to change the angle on the gas tube slope.

Edited by AEnemaBay

OK. I'll try shutting the lever and whacking the gas tube. I've hit it about 100 times now, but it doesn't want to come loose. Maybe hitting it before the lever is rotated will help. I sure hope it does, because my fingers are getting torn up from trying to lift the tube up from the back and I'm getting ready to call it a night! Thanks for the replies.

OK. I'll try shutting the lever and whacking the gas tube. I've hit it about 100 times now, but it doesn't want to come loose. Maybe hitting it before the lever is rotated will help. I sure hope it does, because my fingers are getting torn up from trying to lift the tube up from the back and I'm getting ready to call it a night! Thanks for the replies.

You don't have to whack it. Simply put downward pressure on it while rotating the lever. Whacking it may push it down for a second but it's just going to pop back up and you could POSSIBLY bend or dent the tube. But it's pretty tough steel and it has that extra piece of steel over the top it. But still no use possibly messing up a part that you could get some money for later on down the road.

Got it! Man was that a pain in the... Fingers. It was not the little release lever that was stuck, that thing I was able to move back and forth with no problem. It was the gas tube assembly that was really, really, really (you get the idea) tight into the receiver. I had to work it loose a little bit at a time, and I think the oil might have helped. Now I'm afraid to put it back on, but it will hopefully wear in over time. Thanks for all the help. I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you guys on the Saiga forum!

Don't worry, it will loosen up. Mine was extremely tight when new, also.

An odd thing about that gas tube . . . I treated mine (and the piston) inside and out with Microlon Gun Juice, in hopes of preventing the buildup of soot on the piston and inside the tube -- well, it didn't do that, but it did make the tube WAY easier to get on and off the rifle -- nearly effortless now.

Oh, and when you put the gas tube back on, you have to be extra careful to make sure that the back of it (at the rear sight block) is all the way down. It'll fool you; you'll think it's all the way down, but you'll know it isn't when you try to move the lever down and it won't budge. Push firmly.

Edited by heron

For anyone who encounters an EXTREMELY tight fighting gas tube in the future:

The issue on my new Saiga .223 was NOT that I could not rotate the little lever on the side of the receiver that unlocks the gas tube. The lever was tight, but it was easy enough to rotate using the slot in the cleaning pod. Even when this lever was unlocked the gas tube was a very tight fit and was impossible to move without tools (pliers over a towel). I was finally able to remove the gas tube, but when I put it back on it was extremely hard to remove again. I was really demoralized, as others here said how easy it should be to remove the gas tube, and it looked very easy on the several videos I looked-up to help me figure out what the problem might be.

Today, I removed the gas tube and the forearm from the rifle in order to drill 3/8" holes along the forearm like I learned from others on this forum. I figured that I would put the gas tube back on the rifle while the forearm was off so I could more easily see what was causing the exrtemely tight fit. I tried to remove the gas tube and it lifted right out! It had been the forearm that was causing me all the headaches (and finger aches) when I tried to remove the gas tube. I used a dremel tool to lightly relieve some of the raised areas along the inside of the forearm, and now the gas tube is MUCH easier to remove.

I have learned a ton of information from this forum, and continue to do so. There are so many cool guns that people have modified! I am glad to have finally figured out a solution to my problem, and I hope it helps some other Newbie down the road. I feels good to finally "give back" to this forum in some small way, as you all have been so informative and helpful!

• 11 months later...

Took mine apart for the first time today. Thought there was something wrong with it it was so tight. After reading here, and making sure the "flat face of the lever that rides again the gas tube is flush with the sight block face", I took a wooden door jam wedge and tapped it in between the tube and barrel and the tube came off as promised. I have now officially thrown out my Kid Gloves.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey just wanted to add a bit of the obvious to this...

Make sure you take your bolt carrier out! Otherwise it hits on the piston...

I just wasted the last 2 minutes of my life because of this. Hey we weren't all born with AK's in our hands, I was born with a 1911 ;)

I just wasted the last 2 minutes of my life because of this. Hey we weren't all born with AK's in our hands, I was born with a 1911 ;)

its ok i just tried taking off my stock to fit the wood one on and forgot the 3rd screw under the recoil pring.(10mins wacking at it with a hammer and nothing then i figure id look it up and damn i forgot about it

• 9 months later...

damn, totally forgot about this, came off really easily, no prying necessary, durr, :bag:

• 3 months later...

Okay....So I had this same problem. I took the gun apart when I first bought it and the Gas Tube was extremely stiff and I couldn't pull it out. After trying to pull it off with pliers, I gave up and decided to shoot it and see if it loosens it up a bit. Shot it, took it apart to clean, and still couldn't pull it out. All I had to do was take off the hand guard and pry up on the tube a little against the end of the barrel and it popped right out. Goes in and out just fine now.. There is a spring on the end where the gas tube meets the receiver, it was just a little stiff from the factory.