Strikeforce/Surefire forearms

Has anybody tried the Strikeforce (ATI?) forearm on a Saiga .223. Does this forearm fit the Saiga rifles, or are they somehow different than a standard AK in the forearm/gas tube area? I'm not interested in the Strikeforce stock, just the forearm. I'm leaning toward an Ace folding stock for the rear.

If the Strikeforce will not fit without alterations, has anybody tried the Surefire forearm on a .223? Are there any pros or cons with either forearm that a newbie might overlook?

One last question (sorry), now that I got my tightly fitted gas tube off, is there any trick to removing the forearm once the screw is out? I can't get the thing to budge without tools and I don't want to mess my new gun up. The rear stock came off nice and easy, but the forearm is a bugger. Thanks!

Edited by KELORGO
Has anybody tried the Strikeforce (ATI?) forearm on a Saiga .223. Does this forearm fit the Saiga rifles, or are they somehow different than a standard AK in the forearm/gas tube area? I'm not interested in the Strikeforce stock, just the forearm. I'm leaning toward an Ace folding stock for the rear.

If the Strikeforce will not fit without alterations, has anybody tried the Surefire forearm on a .223? Are there any pros or cons with either forearm that a newbie might overlook?

One last question (sorry), now that I got my tightly fitted gas tube off, is there any trick to removing the forearm once the screw is out? I can't get the thing to budge without tools and I don't want to mess my new gun up. The rear stock came off nice and easy, but the forearm is a bugger. Thanks!

The Strike force will require some brackets to fit the 223. The Surefire is a simple install and I think it looks good. Very solid. I just did this one yesterday.

Greg

post-9063-1235021460_thumb.jpg

I just put the Surefire Gun Mags (SGM) forearm on my .223. It's a pretty good product. It's well made and it installs just like the factory handguard. If you can use a screwdriver then you can install it.

I'm usually not a big fan of lots of rails all over the place, but I think it looks pretty good on my rifle. It's very solid and I'd bet it has some metal re-enforcement in it based on the weight.

The rails don't go all the way back so if you are planning on installing a vertical grip and you have short arms you might find that it's too far forward for comfort.

It also lacks a sling swivel. That's pretty easy to remedy with either a rail-mounted swivel or a little bit of work with a drill.

As far as removing the factory handguard goes, you should be able to pry it off there with out much force. If you can get it to separate just a little bit you can slide a slot screwdriver head in there between the receiver and the forearm and give it a very gentle pry. Once it starts moving it should come off just by pulling with your hand. Usually the buttstock is much harder to remove than the handguard.

Edited by dftc

CarolinaSS: That's a sweet looking rifle. I think I'll go with the Surefire forearm. What flash hider and/or muzzle brake is on that gun? (NEVER MIND. It's a DPH, just found it on your site). Any preference between the DPH tri-rail and the Surefire forearm?

dftc: I had to laugh when you said "if you can use a screw driver" you can install the Surefire. That's about the extent of my mechanical ability, but I'm learning slowly! I look foreward to learning more quickly as I "mod" my Saiga.

Edited by KELORGO

i put a surefire forearm last month. fits great. i think it could be used to play baseball. Once the factory arm starts moving it will come loose pretty fast.

i had to use my feet to make the buttstock come off easy. I wore my shoes and placed a foot on each side on what little curvature i could hold onto. pushed down with my feet as i pulled up on the receiver with my hands. came loose pretty easy that way.

Ditto on the Surefire forearm! It fits just like the old one, the only thing that I didn't like was that it didn't have the metal nut in the forearm like the OEM, but with the blue loctite it seems to hold fine. I've shot the fool out of it and picked it up by the forestock and it's holding.

CarolinaSS: That's a sweet looking rifle. I think I'll go with the Surefire forearm. What flash hider and/or muzzle brake is on that gun? (NEVER MIND. It's a DPH, just found it on your site). Any preference between the DPH tri-rail and the Surefire forearm?

dftc: I had to laugh when you said "if you can use a screw driver" you can install the Surefire. That's about the extent of my mechanical ability, but I'm learning slowly! I look foreward to learning more quickly as I "mod" my Saiga.

It is a DPH. Outstanding product and simple to put on without threading the barrel. We carry DPH's products and I am going to put lots of rounds through it tomorrow to see if there is any reduction in recoil.

Greg

Thanks, gang. That DPH flash hider/brake is definately going on my rifle, as is the Surefire forearm. I think I'm going to leave the trigger where it is for now and go with the Ace no-modification folding stock. Then maybe an Ultimak gas tube rail. This bug bites bad!

Edited by KELORGO

Ah yes the bug bites bad! I give it less than six months before your do a full PG conversion! I was very content with the Tapco T6 with SAW grip and my self-modified hand guard! That lasted less than two months and I did a PG conversion and Galili hand guard! It becomes an obsession!

Edited by imarangemaster

Dang yore hide Greg, why didya have to show that muzzlebrake on that Saiga, now I done went and broke a promise to mama 'bout no more gun parts!! LOL I have been looking for one that you didn't have to thread on, and here it is! Well, it will be as soon as you ship it to me! :rolleyes:

Greg at Carolina Shooters Supply is wicked fast on his shipping, I ordered the DPH muzzle break/flash hider yesterday and it was in my mailbox today, thanks Greg!!

Anyhow, I installed it in under a minute and ran 30 rounds through it...perfect!! It is definitely the way to go for a muzzle break for the 223.

• 1 month later...

Why do people have such a problem removing Saiga Furniture? After removing the screws, a light tap on the hand grip area with a rubber handle or hammer and it slides right off. The hand guard is tight but it pulls right off! So far for me.