How many friggin ports is it supposed to have??

I've seen 1, 2, and 3 thrown around here how many ports is my S-12 supposed to have?

The ideal number is four in a diamond pattern however 2 and 3 hole guns may work as well. The more important question is how many, if any, holes are obstructed. Two larger diameter port holes that are unobstructed may function flawlessly and cycle a Saiga without any problems.

My new one has 2 properly centered. Each hole is bigger than each of the 4 I have on an older gun.

I don't shoot the super cheap bird shot.

My 2 holed gun is more restrictive, but can still shoot remington 2 3/4" express 00 buck in setting 1 and when I shoot 3" 00 buck express in setting 1, they fly far far away.....I wish I could restrict it further to prolong life of gun.

I prefer the more restrictive guns myself for this reason.

Mine came with two, originally.

I traded it back in to RAA for a three-holer.

However, that wasn't enough for me so I now have 5 and they're all enlarged.

It's running great and I've had no problems.

It shoots low-brass on setting 1, but after shooting 3" 00 buck and slugs, there was no damage at all to the back of the firing pin or the back plate.

If I had it to do over, I'd stop at 4 holes.

I haven't tried Gunfixr's new plug yet, either.

There are lots of warnings about drilling new holes - reducing the strength and life of the barrel and what not.

You might want to listen to them.

I drilled because I wanted more power in the gas system, period.

Edited by Bounce12

The saiga 12 came in for years with 3 holes.

Not long ago, within the past two years, it was switched to four holes.

This passed year, it was again changed to two larger holes (does not go strictly by serial number, but by batch, rather)

The russians were asked to change it back to at least 3 holes, which they have done so, but there are some additional 4 port barrels coming in still, as well.

On ANY gun, none of the holes should be obstructed.

If you do have obstructed holes, or your gun wont cycle properly, you may be eligible for us to warranty it, here at Cadiz Gun Works.

I hope this helps re-inforce whats been said

-Ben V.

Mine has 3 and I got it last week. Russian papers say it was inspected September 2008.

I unboxed a new one tonight that was dated 10/20/08 and it has two holes. I will test it Sunday to see how it functions. My Tromix is an 06 gun and it has 4 ports. I'd forgotten how homely they look before the conversion.