How the heck do you adjust the sights

I got a saiga 7.62 a couple of months ago, and have just been having fun blasting crap with no intent to aim.

I finally sat down at my bench to sight it in, but OMG!!!! it shoots horribly low and left with what appears to be the battle sight setting. I didnt get any kind of manual with my gun, nor does any adjustment appear possible. So, again.....

How do you adjust the sights on this fun, but aggravating hunk of Ruskie engineering????

The front sight post does not appear to want to screw in or out for elevation adjustment, nor do I see how to adjust the rear sight for windage. The closest I can get to Point of Aim is @4" left and @1" high with the rear sight set on the 200 line. I am shooting at 25 meters.

Please help!

Rod

You need the proper tools. :) You can get one of these..posted below. I suggest looking for the more expensive models..these are cheap metal. Maybe someone else can recommend a good source for the sight tool. If you are desperate..use 2 sockets and a good C-clamp for windage and find a hollow nut driver to file into the correct shape for the elevation adjustment. Hit the front sight with some break-free or sompin first..they can be stumborn at first.

Edited by NedPepper

All sight adjustment is done with the front sight. The rear sight is marked 1,2,3 which is 100,200,300 meters. Although the rear sight is not marked the same you sight the Saiga in just like on this website with a AK rifle.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sightin.htm

A sight tool can be bought or you can use brass punch and hammer to adjust the windage. Being a cost effective(cheap) type guy I use a steel punch with a fired 22lr case slipped on the end to keep from boggering up the sight.

Just remember the first time the sight is adjusted for windage it will be really hard to move so you will have to whop the hell out of it.

Edited by J A

I liked the guys idea of using a small c-clamp and 2 sockets, one large and one small, on either side of the sight (for windage adjustment). For elevation you need to screw the center post in or out to adjust. I think the sight tool is best for this, but I did not need to adust elevation, it was dead on at the 100 meter notch.

Remember that when adjusting front sights you move it the opposite of adjusting rear sights. So if your shooting left you want to move the sight left (as seen looking through the sights).

Edited by Doerdie

Thanks to you all for the info on sighting in. The link for the AK sighting was real informative. One quick ? though. Where should I put the rear sight for battle sight zero. In the bottom of the dip in the adjustment channel. If so, this should have me set for the yardage at the 1,2&300 yard lines. Its hard for me to adjust to the AK style sight from the AR's A2 sight system, and I want to make sure I am correct.

Thanks

Rod