AR-based .410: AT-14

Tonight I found this advertisement for "...the first smooth bore, 410 cal., semi Automatic shotgun ever based on an assault rifle."

http://www.americantactical.us/images/SAFIRSILAH.jpg

It looks like someone hasn't been paying attention! How long has the Saiga .410 been on the market now? Maybe it only qualifies as an "assault rifle" if it's AR-related. Will the vanity ever end? :rolleyes: I thought you might get as much of a laugh out this as I did.

This has been posted here multiple times.

Drop your stone or get out of your glass house.

Since I'm not a regular reader of the .410 forum, I searched this forum for AT-14 info before posting. I found nothing, so I thought I was contributing. Apparently I should have searched for more general AR references. If you thought I was referring to the Saiga community overlooking the AT-14, that was not my intent. I meant that this AR company has overlooked our beloved AK-based .410 in making their claim, and I thought they deserved some teasing for the claim. Pardon me if I was unclear or if I wasted bandwidth on a well-kicked horse.

• 2 weeks later...

Falcon, I had seen those advertisements in some trade publications, as the Safir, now with a new name was intended for importation by the same company that is importing the 22 caliber MP5 reproductions, this 410, and their 22 AK look alike were shot show rollouts for this years show.

I was going to post that info about a month ago, but I just haven't had the time, nor do I schedule my life around posting on Saiga12.com, as some do.

And, this isn't the first or last time I have seen lousy attitude dished out here, something about your post count having some effect upon the members IQ, or gun knowledge, or at least thats how I have interpreted their actions.

Hence my avatar, and sig lines.....

Ignore the spuds, thats all you can do.

In my experience, If you are the first to highlight a new product or idea coming on the market you get responses in about four basic categories from the members here.

1) It won't work.

2) Its taking away business from another member who makes or does something way better.

3) I already knew about it, and you are a retard to posting it here.

4) Everybody else does it differently, and you are a fool for thinking outside the box.

Edited by frick

Thanks for the support guys. I think the sort of culture Frick describes naturally grows in any technical/information-oriented internet forum, especially hunting/shooting ones. I was disappointed to see it rear up in this forum, but I hope this sort of thing is still the exception rather than the rule around here. Either way, this forum is an invaluable resource and I'm thankful for it. If my participation in it becomes more annoyance than it's worth to me then I will do something else with my time. No worries here.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic - I'm glad someone else found this ad as funny as I did. I'm just curious if it was true ignorance of the Saiga or good ol' marketing hype.

Edited by Falcon73

Allright 6x6pinz...I like that. It's a logical evolution of the AR platform due to the success of the Saiga series of shotguns. I am holding my AR in my hand as I type and wonder if there is any structural potential for a 20 gauge without completely changing the receiver of the firearm. If they find a way to squeeze a 12 guage shell in there I'll be aghast. In turns of reliabilty compared to the Saiga how do they stack up? And now for the important question...what is the actual street price for one of those scattergun AR's?

Since I am a 410 freak the other gauges in this platform would not excite me. I see where some would want them but if they were released in 20,16 or 12 I would not have picked one up. After this weekend I am over 1500rnds through my T14. I managed 48 out of 50 clays the other day with it. Takes some getting used to rifle sights when shooting clays(just takes longer to acquire targets, for me) I have had no failures other than with winchester 8 shot. Winchester and remington slugs work great. I have been using remington nitro clay in 8 shot as a staple round for it. I have found that it is the cheapest off the shelf round I could find. I will be making a reload for this shotgun, just wanted to use factory stuff for a while in case of failure it is easier to get a shotgun serviced if reloads have not been used.

As with any AR specialty platform this one is also priced up a bit. At $1K to the door it is a bit pricey for a 410 shotgun but for a specialty AR it is right in the ballpark. I believe that the demand for the AR had more to do with the pricing than the actual production cost.

I can tell you that if you think showing up to the range and shooting clays with the saiga turns heads you have not seen anything until you show up with one of these. :D

:lolol: I bet! I'd pay money to see the fatcat club shooters fill their pants when you uncase that thing. Anyone ever fail to realize what it was and tell you that you can't use a rifle?

Or use it deer hunting here in Indiana! I don't wish to start up a discussion concerning the use of a 410 on whitetails but it is now legal to do so in Indiana. The CO's would have the woods surrounded around you.

:lolol: I bet! I'd pay money to see the fatcat club shooters fill their pants when you uncase that thing. Anyone ever fail to realize what it was and tell you that you can't use a rifle?

I did get into a discussion with another shopper at the gun shop where I picked it up. He was telling his friend that it was an AR in 223. I could not help myself and corrected him. He told me they don't make it in that large of a bore. His friend laughed at him when I showed him the box and explained it was a shotgun. That alone was worth some of the cost of the firearm.

At the range where I shoot one of the rangemasters is a real jerk. As luck would have it he was there yesterday when I went in to shoot. After shooting I asked him for some time to collect my spent rounds. He stopped me as I was picking up the spent shotgun cartridges and informed me I was only able to pick up my own. I made him feel like an idiot when I showed him the Safir is a 410 shotgun and not a 223. Again worth some of the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean Pinz, years ago, before AR's or AK's were "Assault Weapons" I bought one, and a guy asked me at the shop why I wanted to own a "Machine Gun".

I explained that it wasn't a machine gun, and he gave me the "Well, I was in 'Nam, and I had one of those rifles, and its a machine gun.....".....

A DUH, I guess it shows the problems with drafting your soldiers..

A few years later, I was handling a Chinese AK at a gun show, this was when they first came into the USA, and another guy comes up to me, and asks, "Why the HELL would you want to own a damn communist rifle like that", I explained that I was a martial collector, and that it was interesting as a rifle in that theme, he replies back, "Well, I was in the 'Nam, and I know those are just cheap, communist made junk, and you have to be nuts to pay three hundred bucks for a gun like that!".

Gee, and now that rifle sells for two grand on Gunbroker, it was an double underfolder, it again shows the problem with drafting your troops......