I'm on the fence! Ace Folding stock or do it myself?

Well the Ace folding stock I'm looking at is about $185 and seems to be a super easy install. The only thing I don't really like the look of having the trigger that far back.

I've seen the video of the DIY conversion (

) but I'm just scared to screw up my saiga 12.

I only have a dremal and hammer.(no vice)

So is it truely that easy to do the conversion?

Would I be able to do a folding stock conversion?

Links to all the parts I would need would be great.....

(If this is already posted I didn't see it please don't flame me.)

Convert that puppy!

If you spend all that money and do the easy PG with the side folder and don't move the trigger group forward you will always wished you put on your man pants and whipped out that dremel. :D

I did mine with a dremel, a philips screw driver, and a wrench I used as a hammer.

When I put the DIY trigger guard on I cleaned the surfaces and used JB weld and bolted that sucker on tight.

JB weld can also fill in the un wanted holes. ;)

I used a double hook trigger, I like the wider trigger surface it seems to come with.

Hammer mod was easy.

good luck and just do it man! :P

Well the Ace folding stock I'm looking at is about $185 and seems to be a super easy install. The only thing I don't really like the look of having the trigger that far back.

I've seen the video of the DIY conversion (

) but I'm just scared to screw up my saiga 12.

I only have a dremal and hammer.(no vice)

So is it truely that easy to do the conversion?

Would I be able to do a folding stock conversion?

Links to all the parts I would need would be great.....

(If this is already posted I didn't see it please don't flame me.)

With the Ace products, you're not doing a "folding stock conversion".

You're doing a standard Saiga conversion and just using a hinge block on your Ace receiver block.

A "folding stock conversion" is where you mill your receiver to fit a Russian design side folder, such as the Saiga 12C

aks-74_470.JPG

aks-74_472.JPG

. . . and you'll be fine with a Dremel and a hammer.

I think I said this before..."Vice? Vice? I don't needed no stinkin Vice." No really you don't. I did mine on my floor, had a few 1x1 and 1x2 wood peices to use as wedges to stablize the reciever. Took about 2 hours total, and thats with a beer break. Just read all the stickies and tech section posts, get all your parts together and jump in. If you do have a problem, peeps on this forum will give you a helping hand. Good luck and have fun.

HUZZAH!!

Edited by Gothmog

If you just want the folding stock, not something intricate like nalioth posted, you don't need to do anything to the receiver. If you want to use the internal receiver block, as opposed to the external one which bolts into the receiver like a fixed stock, you'll need to cut the tang off the receiver. If I'm not mistaken, the tang is the piece that sticks off the back of the receiver, where you attach the rear screw on the top of the factory stock, if that makes sense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I used the external block on my conversion, but plan on installing the internal block shortly. The external block isn't as solid as the internal one, IMO.

If you just want the folding stock, not something intricate like nalioth posted, you don't need to do anything to the receiver. If you want to use the internal receiver block, as opposed to the external one which bolts into the receiver like a fixed stock, you'll need to cut the tang off the receiver. If I'm not mistaken, the tang is the piece that sticks off the back of the receiver, where you attach the rear screw on the top of the factory stock, if that makes sense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I used the external block on my conversion, but plan on installing the internal block shortly. The external block isn't as solid as the internal one, IMO.

Where did you get yours elvis? I'd like to see a picture of it if possible.