Is it legal to remove stock altogether?

I just converted my s12 last night. I love it!!!!! the new configuration is so much better. The saiga tech trigger guard kicks ass.

I've been trying to decide whether to do a folding stock or not. I'm considering designing and building a folder with a folding butt pad to clear the drum. But it would be so much easier to just make a QD stock. Obviously not as tactically sound as a folder ei you might not have it when you need it.

Anyhow, after seeing it without the stock and with pistol grip and MD-20 I really want to have that option.....but I'm not sure about the law......It seems like it should be no different than an 870 w/ only the PG, is this correct?

I scored a "USGI M249 SAW foregrip" on gunbroker. The quality of the grip is so much nicer than the tapco part that I bought it to match. I'm pretty happy nontheless to have a unique matching set for front and rear pistol grips. I'll try to post some pics....no promises though.

Thanks to everyone on the site!!!! I learned what I needed to vastly improve my shotty!!!!!

49gmc

I just converted my s12 last night. I love it!!!!! the new configuration is so much better. The saiga tech trigger guard kicks ass.

I've been trying to decide whether to do a folding stock or not. I'm considering designing and building a folder with a folding butt pad to clear the drum. But it would be so much easier to just make a QD stock. Obviously not as tactically sound as a folder ei you might not have it when you need it.

Anyhow, after seeing it without the stock and with pistol grip and MD-20 I really want to have that option.....but I'm not sure about the law......It seems like it should be no different than an 870 w/ only the PG, is this correct?

I scored a "USGI M249 SAW foregrip" on gunbroker. The quality of the grip is so much nicer than the tapco part that I bought it to match. I'm pretty happy nontheless to have a unique matching set for front and rear pistol grips. I'll try to post some pics....no promises though.

Thanks to everyone on the site!!!! I learned what I needed to vastly improve my shotty!!!!!

49gmc

Pics, we need pics!!

Be careful taking advice off the internet.

18 USC 921 defines a shotgun as-

(5) The term "shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned,

made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and

designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an

explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball

shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

As does 18 USC 5845

"Fired from the shoulder AND". Kinda hard to shoulder a pistol grip.

First thing I thoguht when I read your post was a Mossberg Cruiser. I know a lot of times people compare this to that, but other factors often change definitions and the laws are massive. One is a semi, one is a pump, one is not a virgin receiver, the other is made like that.

I dont know the correct answer to your question, but I know when looking at the legal definition, Im not real sure a PG only SG would meet the definition of SG. Im not sure its not. It doesnt appear to be a SBS either.

I would be very careful removing the stock (other than for replacemtn or repairs, etc) and leaving it like that. While it may very well be legal, how much will it cost you to defend a NFA violations charge?

PGO shotguns are legal with a 18" or longer barrel. How effective they are is another story. Add a short barrel and here is my favorite "smoothbore pistol":

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Was looking into an AOW PG-shotgun for a while until I realized that between SOT-holder transfer fees, shipping, and the price hike most places charge, I could pick up a 500 or 870 at a gun show, buy an angle grinder, make a nice over-under style stock, and shorten the action to have a smooth handling SBS for about the same price...

They're still quite nice, don't get me wrong :haha:

I'm not sure what state you're in, but just be aware that some states have additional requirements. Here in Michigan for example, if the OAL is less than 30", you have to register it as a handgun. Stupid law, but it's still the law. It used to be that shotguns had to be no less than 28" OAL too, but I'm not sure if that's still the case or not. Again, stupid law.

Corbin