need info on m4 purchase is S&W a good m4 choice

i am looking to get a .233 m4. i want a flat top and prefer a flat front sight, and lite barrel. does any one have any input on the quality of smith and wesson. while not my first choise there is one im eyeing

I have a S&W MP15. It is my first and only AR that I own as of now. I have the A3 with removable carry handle in a M4 setup with collapsible stock. I am very pleased with it so far, very accurate and eats everything from remington to barnaul and wolf steel cased with no problems.

post-6703-1235442319_thumb.jpg

When S&W first started making AR's, Stag (CMT) was making some (or maybe most?) of their parts for them. Now (actually, for quite some time now) supposedly, S&W makes their own components.

Either way, I've seen a lot of positive reviews about them, and satisfied owners.

I have a stripped S&W MP15 lower receiver. So far, I haven't had any problems with it, it's been 100% reliable. /me ducks to avoid flying objects

Anyway, I know that isn't helpful but I haven't heard a single bad review. You'd be better off checking AR15.com for that info though. I'd certainly take a Smith over a few of the other brands, that's for sure.

My avatar is me shooting the S&W M&P 15. It shoots well, but don't count on using cheap wolf or any imported ammo. It won't cycle. After your first shot of wolf, the bolt won't come back far enough to load the next round. So, if you plan on buying american or reloading your own, go for it. Personally, if you have to buy a DI AR-15, i'd get something that will cycle cheap ammo, my old bushmaster I had (before i sold it) would cycle ANYTHING i could find, surplus, russian, anything. The M&P handles just fine, but as far as DI AR's go, they all seem nearly the same to me, just pay more for the name. I ditched all DI guns and went piston with saiga's and I got a XCR on order.....that M&P i'm shooting is my buddy's, another friend of mine has one as well, but his safety broke....which is the oddest thing because it's babied.....

Edited by Vultite
........don't count on using cheap wolf or any imported ammo. It won't cycle.

4 posts up says different.

I think the "will digest anything" varies from gun to gun, as opposed to brand to brand.

My old Stag would eat anything as well, but I've read of some people's Stags that would not.

• 3 weeks later...

well, if you're happy with it then you didn't over pay ;) at least that's what I tell myself. For myself I'd rather build one. I've got a rock river stripped lower and DPMS upper and so once the kit arrives, I'll put it all together and hopefully it'll work well. Congrats on your purchase!

i am looking to get a .233 m4. i want a flat top and prefer a flat front sight, and lite barrel. does any one have any input on the quality of smith and wesson. while not my first choise there is one im eyeing

I got one in 5.45mm the day jungle-boy got in. It shoots .75-1 moa and is a superb AR system. I prefer it over my 5.56 AR's. Having said that I prefer my 7.62x39mm AR over my 5.56mm AR's.

The M&P handles just fine, but as far as DI AR's go, they all seem nearly the same to me, just pay more for the name.

S&Ws are selling very well when they can be found. I'd grab the first available name brand you can get at a good price that has the config you want. Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, S&W, all good manufacturers IMO. I'd even do a CMMG which offers an almost unlimited number of combinations of parts from big manufacturers, that is, if they were able to produce like they used to.

IMO, piston driven isn't needed unless you plan on firing a lot of rounds without cleaning or you want a SBR, in which case you should definitely have it. Of course, if you can afford it and can find it, it's certainly a nice feature to have on any size gun for reliability, cleanliness, durability, etc. As production of piston driven guns increases (a military contract sure would be nice), you'll see the price come down.

Don't know if S&W comes with a 1/7 twist. You might want to take a look because at some point you are going to want to shoot the heavier bullets.

M&P15's are 1/9.

I had a 1/9 twist Stag upper, but I only ran 55gr through it before I sold it, so I don't personally know how it does with heavier weight. I replaced it with a BCM middy, which is 1/7. It's worked great with every different weight I've ran through it.