Who wants to play airsoft?

Here's a visual story. It's like a childrens' book! Yaay!

The plan:

P1010662.jpg

Lead is heavy.

P1010661.jpg

Plastic isn't heavy.

P1010663.jpg

Even the whole shell is lighter than the lead.

P1010665.jpg

Look at that crimp, staring at you.

P1010671.jpg

NO, none of the other crimps came out that good. I didn't count how many there are in each one. So they're just random crap.

P1010672.jpg

I plan on shooting it tomorrow. I have no idea what will happen. I figure it'll just fly out slowly. It's 3 times the powder load for a 9mm shell, and the same weight as a light (common 115 grain) 9mm bullet. So it should clear the barrel. I foresee three possible bad things that can happen:

~Overpressure, SOMEHOW. I can't figure out how though, but it could.

~Squib, doesn't clear the barrel. I'll bring a rod. I doubt this, as it should be hotter than 9mm.

~BB's shatter upon ignition, dust flies out the end of the gun, I get cancer and die.

Who knows?! This serves no purpose but to make me laugh. Maybe somebody else will.

It will work, velocity will be pretty quick out of the muzzle but will drop off fast. I wouldn't shoot these at anything living unless you plan to kill it.

In that it is coming out of a shotgun, yeppers. I wouldn't point an unloaded shotgun at someone and pull the trigger, so this is definitely a no.

Edited by Twinsen

Cool

I've made these using just the primers and had them come out.. I think some sort of magnum primer would help the consistency of mine, at the time I was cutting open promo loads and dumping the powder and shot.

I have thought of using modeling clay in a shotcup as a type of rubber bullet probably would need a little powder to get them out the barrel.

Edit: Yep about 1/4 of what a target load needs :rolleyes: I tried with about 1/8 and it was sitting halfway out the muzzle

Edited by csspecs

If using just a primer, ok. But if using powder, don't use magnum primers, they'll burn the powder even slower and you'll end up with the weakest shells ever.

I used a normal powder drop for a light load I use, 18 grains of Red Dot. It recoiled like .223 or 9mm. It had some ball to it. I wouldn't want to be downrange of that.

It dirtied the barrel a LOT, I am assuming because the pressure never built up enough, and the powder never got to burn fully. There was a lot of unburnt powder, and a big flash, so says my Father. One pass with a bore snake through each barrel, and a silicon rag on the outside and she was good to go.

It was a complete success. It accomplished nothing, but it works. I couldn't see them going downrange, but I know they stayed intact. I recovered a couple wads, they had large indents in them as if I had shot some BB stuff. I recovered a few bbs that made it to the 100 yard tires and bounced all the way back. 3 or 4 out of hundreds made it back that far, as the ground was covered in ice. After a shot, for a couple seconds there were bouncing noises EVERYWHERE.

ETA: me not being able to see them against the black tire backdrop is enough to assume they were beyond supersonic.

Edited by Twinsen

I'd classify some airsoft guns as "potentially lethal". Some idiots play with guns modified to shoot 550 to 600 FPS. I seriously doubt you're going to exceed those velocities out of a shotgun. But point being, while it probably wouldn't be lethal, it wouldn't be very pleasant.

I'd classify some airsoft guns as "potentially lethal". Some idiots play with guns modified to shoot 550 to 600 FPS. I seriously doubt you're going to exceed those velocities out of a shotgun. But point being, while it probably wouldn't be lethal, it wouldn't be very pleasant.

I'm pretty sure they went supersonic. They pushed permanent imprints into the wad, and it had some kick. I know for sure it was more powerful than 30 of any airsoft gun ever made. I can guarantee every pellet would have entered a person.

550fps airsoft is safe outside of 20 feet or so. They have limits where under a certain range you need to go to a pistol, or make them surrender. I've been hit with 500fps at 15 feet or so. It hurts and you get a tiny cut that bleeds a single drop. A red ryder bb gun converted to airsoft is like 700 fps.