Howdy all,

Not sure if you're ever seen or heard of couscous, but it's a staple of the diet of northern africa, and in some parts of Europe and the middle east.

It's made of wheat, and is a granular food.

couscous.jpgUncooked couscous

It's used for breakfast (in a bowl with milk and sugar - YUM), lunch and dinner and can be used in sweet or savory recipes (it has a neutral flavor [like rice]). If you have dishes that are served over rice, they can be served over couscous, too, for something different.

I've known of it for years (eaten it while overseas). Lately, I've been eating a lot of rice and have grown tired of it, so I decided to give the couscous a run.

Y'all might like to give it a run, too. You can find it at your grocery store with the rice and dried beans.

800pxcouscous1.jpg

ya know, i honestly never cared for coos coos, myself. I grew up around a lot of liberal hippies that made it many ways, and i can probably get ahold of a lot of practical recipies for the stuff, if you guys want it.

I think of it as fake pasta, myself, which is probably why i dont care for it, being part sicilian, and all.....even though it is a LOT healthier for you than that starchy crap i woof down by the pound.

What is it actually?

Couscoos? like a seed or tapioca?

A dish consisting of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour.

Basically another form of pasta, as bvamp alludes to above.

My wife cooks some up every so often, she loves it. I don't much care for it. I'll eat what she fixes, but I'm not much for "gritty" type foods (don't eat grits either). I'd just as soon have rice.

To each their own.

Couscous is light and fluffy, when cooked properly.

Nothing "gritty" about it.

Any couscous recipes involve bacon? Bacon makes everything better.

Everything? Uh, like arteries? :)

Hardens 'em up so they don't snap shut on ya. :haha:

Clear arteries are over-rated anyway. :lol:

My wife cooks some up every so often, she loves it. I don't much care for it. I'll eat what she fixes, but I'm not much for "gritty" type foods (don't eat grits either). I'd just as soon have rice.

To each their own.

Couscous is light and fluffy, when cooked properly.

Nothing "gritty" about it.

Gunfixr, did she make you the couscous after a fight, perhaps? Maybe the grittiness was actually kitty litter!!!!! Don't piss off a woman who is cooking your meal. :lolol:

its really good made in little patties and grilled, up I had it at Fogo di ciao I think thats how you spell it. good stuff.... Saiga meets the Cous..maybe you could load a shell with it and use it for Less than lethal punishment for zombies and small children

ya know, i honestly never cared for coos coos, myself. I grew up around a lot of liberal hippies that made it many ways, and i can probably get ahold of a lot of practical recipies for the stuff, if you guys want it.

I think of it as fake pasta, myself, which is probably why i dont care for it, being part sicilian, and all.....even though it is a LOT healthier for you than that starchy crap i woof down by the pound.

+1 I am 1/2 Italian, my mothers parents came from Abruzzi. Pasta is what happens when couscous evolves!

Y'all might like to give it a run, too. You can find it at your grocery store with the rice and dried beans.

I had that entirely too many times when I went to the summer program at the University of Strasbourg. It may have been nasty because it was cafeteria food, but I have no intention of willingly eating it in the future. bleh. :ded: