I need an ammo education

I am going to buy a precision gun and was wanting to shoot targets/varmints out to 500 yards, but I have no idea what ammunition I should be looking at.

I think .308 is over kill for what I want and was looking more toward a .243, .243WSSM, a .270 or the 25-06.

I am going to buy a precision gun and was wanting to shoot targets/varmints out to 500 yards, but I have no idea what ammunition I should be looking at.

I think .308 is over kill for what I want and was looking more toward a .243, .243WSSM, a .270 or the 25-06.

Any of the AR-15 makes in .223/5.56 make excellent varmint guns, both four legged and two legged varmints.

Why not get a bolt-gun that's capable of taking down a real threat at 500+ yards? .308 is an excellent choice if you're gonna go through the expense. If you really don't want to though, I think they make Remington 700 models in .223

I would go with the .308 first... I have the Savage model 12 FT/R ... nice shooter...

I would also recommend the 22-250 if 30 cal is not for you... Thats a real little zipper and deadly as all get out!

I would also recommend a .243. Simply a .308 necked down to 24 caliber (6mm... ) and another serious performer.

Lastly. I would say go with a .270 if you want a mid sized round...

Any of the WSSM cartridges are excellent, but remember... serious throat erosion will be your enemy in a thousand rounds or so, typically... That is NOT a lot of shooting, really... and if you want a rifle to shoot, and shoot for years... go with a more traditional caliber... again... .308, .243, or .270. Even the venerable 30-06 is well suited to shooting 500 yards, with the right rifle and the right glass atop it.

Dont skimp on your glass... I paid $300.00 for the optics on my FT/R and I feel I am skimping... I really want to put a Leupold Mk4 or a Nightforce on it... those optics cost 150% what the rifle itself cost... The only bitch I have with them... You would think if a customer was going to spend $1500-$2000 dollars on an optic... he should be able to get it in SILVER if desired... to go on a STAINLESS/grey laminated rifle... not the typical "Tactical black" :(

I told the sales reps at BOTH companies what I thought of their "paint policy"... as at Leupold I can have a whole LIST of colors, if I go with their CHEAPER optic line.... but not on their most expensive line... GO FIGURE!

:smoke:

Savage 10FP in .308 with some nice glass, pretty good shooter right out of the box. Easily hit "targets" out to 500+ yards

-E

Agreed. Mine does just fine. I dropped a deer @ a witnessed and measured ~600yds with my 308 Savage.

Thanks for the replies guys. What I was looking for was in a round was basically a cheap small version of a .308. I have a thing stuck in my head to get the perfect tool for the job, not the tool that is practical for the job (read that with no sarcasm, I actually mean that as me being too obsessive with my choice). Seeing how many of you raved about the .308 and it appears to be the best choice.

Another reason is I have a 30-06 and just didn't like the idea of buying another gun that the ballistics (I think) are the same as a gun I already own. The other was what a .308 would do to a varmint.

After doing some research, I keep winding up back at the .308 but with the aforementioned "problems" I have "created" for that round, I wind up with the 25-06 and the 22-250.

Thanks again

For varmint hunting, skip the .308, especialy if you already have a 30-06 to hunt bigger stuff with. The 22-250 is the perfect varmint round IMO. Incredibly accurate and flat shooting with mild recoil. This is also the choice of many target shooters - 500 yard accuracy is no big deal for this round. I do not own a 25-06, so can not give you a recommendation on that.

You already have a '06. Good. If you want to use it for varmints, the 130gr TNTs or the lighter ballistic tips work great.

.223 is excellent out to 500M and beyond for varmints. Highly accurate, with a wide selection of ammo available both as factory and handloaded. Quality rifles in .223 routinely shoot under 0.5MOA. For a reloader, they're also considerably cheaper to shoot than 22-250, -308 or 30-06.

I have some 52gr frangible bullets I had made for my 223 that are incredible on woodchucks. Pink fog.

Didn't know you already had a 30-06. That is a step up from .308, between it and 300 win mag ;). With the 30-06 in the safe, may as well go with a smaller round then! I think .223 is a good choice for many reasons, but everyone has their own situation. I'd stick with .223 well, because I already have one. it's a 16" Stainless bull barrel free-float AR. Get's it done, and cheap (ish).