They have an aluminum receiver (versus steel in a Rem 870) and the safeties are plastic. I replaced the safety with a metal one, and since it is a home defense gun and not going to be used on a regular basis, I have no problem with the composition of the receiver. They are also less expensive than the Remington.

I have a 590,

mariner,.. er,... uhm, ...well my wife has one I mean,

I saw some Police trade ins of some black 590's at my local gun shop and they kicked ass,

But I have too many shotties already,..

The coolest thing about em is you can take off the barrel in like 2 seconds, and the mag tube can be removed too giving you a small foot print for an awesome shotgun, They kick like a mule with high Brass though,..

special tacticool extra large aluminum safety available as well ( I'm getting one)

I've got 2 of them, 1 in 12 ga, 1 in 410. Both came with pistol grip. I took the plug out of the 12 and use 000 buck in it. Wife bought me the 410 a few months back and I carry it slung over my shoulder when I riding the 4 wheeler down in the woods. Not a problem from either of them.

They have an aluminum receiver (versus steel in a Rem 870) and the safeties are plastic. I replaced the safety with a metal one, and since it is a home defense gun and not going to be used on a regular basis, I have no problem with the composition of the receiver. They are also less expensive than the Remington.

Considering that AR15 receivers are made of the same material...it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a Mossberg 500 pistol grip, 8 shot, shotgun. I love it.

Edited by Shellshock1918
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the aluminum isn't actually bearing the bolt force, if it's machined correctly, and if it's manually opperated, there shouldn't be any drawback to using it in a shotgun receiver.

Mossbergs are my favorite. Others I've used include Remington 870, Stevens, and Browning BPS.

I handled a Rem 870 at Cabelas and handed it back immediately. That action was rougher than I could ever imagine. I'm talking grinding while cycling. The Browning for 30% more was sorely tempting, but my Mossbergs will keep me satisfied as far as I can imagine.

I had a 500 years ago and didn't have much luck with the aluminum receiver.I did a lot of trap shooting with it and the brass started eating up the ejection port.Did it soon enough that it still had the warranty on it and sent it back.After waiting two months for its return I gave up,got my money back and bought an 870.

Never had a problem with that and still use it a lot.

Of course having an S12 now for a few years I've been using them a lot more.

My opinion on them is if you use them to do a lot of shooting they're not all that great but for HD and such that won't see much action they're nice due to being light.

have a 500 with pistol grip/M4 stock, added heat shield and a flashlight... had more techy crap on it but that went on the AK after really thinking about it.

love the thing, throw 8 through, fill it up, run it through again.... never have a problem with it, someone breaks in, pistol for back up but my 500 is what I'm grabbing without a doubt

I have a 500,590,835,935 mossberg I use the 500 as a home defence gun ive put over 2500 shells threw the 835 like to shoot skeet alot same for the 935 over 2500 shells and the 500 and 590 atleast 1000 each so I would say its reliable and have had no problems from any of them exept um the safty switch fell off one time one the 835 I got into a habbit of putting the safty on after every shot but they sell like a 5 pack of them and put some lock tite on the screw when you get it I dont think you should have an issue with it

I have a 500,590,835,935 mossberg I use the 500 as a home defence gun ive put over 2500 shells threw the 835 like to shoot skeet alot same for the 935 over 2500 shells and the 500 and 590 atleast 1000 each so I would say its reliable and have had no problems from any of them exept um the safty switch fell off one time one the 835 I got into a habbit of putting the safty on after every shot but they sell like a 5 pack of them and put some lock tite on the screw when you get it I dont think you should have an issue with it

if there's a weakness it's the safety and using it that often would kill it. but like you said, easy fix

AVP,

I have both the Mossberg and the Remington. I don't think that you can go wrong with either one depending on your personal use. For patrol, I prefer the 870 due to the safety being easy to access with your trigger finger, especially when using the Knoxx stocks. But I would not hesitate to grab either one in a SHTF situation. Grab the one that you like and have fun with it.

Rem 870 on top..Moss 590A1 on bottom

Charles Daly makes some nice shotguns based on a 500 style action, with one difference, it has the safety on the triggerguard like the 870. Excelent little pump gun, and probably the best value ive seen in a while (since i could afford to just "pick up" a new saiga) even their full tactical whizbang shotty with pistol grip and ghost ring sights is usually less than 300, new.

AFAIK, aftermarket furniture and accessories for the 500 should snap right on.

Charles Daly Field Tactical, Remington 870, Mossberg 500... Good companies good shooters, I picked up a Mossberg 500 for the girlfriend a few months ago at a gun show, for about $250, would buy it again without a second thought.

The Mossberg 500 JIC series is kind of cool, don't know how I feel about pistol grip shotguns, though, never shot one.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28