Converting from X39 to X51

I recently purchased a used siaga that is in good condition besides the barrel and rear sight assembly. (The previous owner did a nightmarish job with a dremil tool attempting to change the sight configuration and botched a thread job on the front as well as removed the front sight and gouged the barrel pretty badly.) That being said I am considering, if it is possible changing the rifle from 7.62X39 to 7.62X51. Has anyone tried this? Is it possible? What kind of modifications need to be made to the receiver and so on? Also how difficult is it to change out the barrel and rear sight assemble? Thank you in advance for your time and info.

The .308 Saiga is capable of firing 7.62x51 NATO.

Clean the bore, re-crown the rifle if you have to and get a new FSB put on there. Sure, the barrel will look ugly, but it's an AK, they aren't made to be beauty queens.

Or just sell it to somebody who has the time and inclination to fix 'er up and nab a .308 Saiga. :-D All you need to do is drop like $5 and you can post in the WTS / WTB forums.

Edited by Big Boss

I know that it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 308 and if that is what I wanted to do I would have, however I am interested in converting so has anyone tried, or does anyone have any relevant info besides that I should just buy another gun. For instance does the magazine opening need to be modified or does the barrel itself need changed anything of this caliber info would be muchly appreciated.

I know that it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 308 and if that is what I wanted to do I would have, however I am interested in converting so has anyone tried, or does anyone have any relevant info besides that I should just buy another gun. For instance does the magazine opening need to be modified or does the barrel itself need changed anything of this caliber info would be muchly appreciated.

You will need a new

receiver

barrel

bolt (and probably a bolt carrier)

barrel trunnion

rear block

The .308 is a lot bigger and more powerful than the 7.62x39 and there is pretty much no way to safely convert a 7.62x39 Saiga to shoot 7.62x51

Edited by nalioth

OK so I do not have an answer, but have done some research on the net and apparently everyone is stating the same thing, so can someone explain why the this is the opposite for the 5.56 and the 223?

Does anyone know where I can get a NATO reloading manual? Thx GL

• 2 weeks later...
OK so I do not have an answer, but have done some research on the net and apparently everyone is stating the same thing, so can someone explain why the this is the opposite for the 5.56 and the 223?

Does anyone know where I can get a NATO reloading manual? Thx GL

I can't tell you the history or the why, but you are correct that they are reversed from the 5.56/223 problem. The SAAMI spec for the 308 commercial rounds is 10k PSI higher than the NATO spec x51. The NATO chamber spec is, as stated, a bit looser, but the cartridge itself is generally the same dimension as a 308.