Do the 2009-2010 Saigas all have dimples?

OK I just shot an email to RAAC. Maybe they have an answer. Im hoping to pick up a few like louielouie was lucky enough to snag. I really don't want to drop the kind of cash needed for one of those arsenal inc imports with dimples.....

• Like 1
I just bought an 08' 7.62 Saiga with dimples and the pistol grip hole is already cut. This is a change.

It may be true that Saiga is going to use all dimpled receivers.

louielouie

Hey Louie,

Is yours a regular Saiga with an "08 serial number or one of the Arsenals?

Thanx

HarvKY

I just bought an 08' 7.62 Saiga with dimples and the pistol grip hole is already cut. This is a change.

It may be true that Saiga is going to use all dimpled receivers.

louielouie

Hey Louie,

Is yours a regular Saiga with an "08 serial number or one of the Arsenals?

Thanx

HarvKY

HarvKY,

Mine is a regular Saiga with an 08' serial number.

louielouie

WOW, Looks like dimples are a go! Here is their response to me when I asked about 7.62 and 223 saiga's:

Hi <My Real Name Removed>,

We are being told by the factory that we will get dimpled receivers starting in our next contract. I can only relay that information along. We will not know for sure until we recive the weapons.

We don't have any connection to the arsenal Saigas.

Clyde Woods

Sales & Marketing

RAAC

Wow This is great!

• Like 1
don't suppose anyone has heard when this contract is due to hit the states?

Sorry I forgot to mention that. When I emailed the guy he said they have another 3 months on their current contract. So by July or August I hope they will be with distributors and stocking dealers. Again, not sure exactly, but they did say three months left on the current deal. Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
I bought an '08 7.62x39 saiga this last October, and it doesn't have the dimples. It does have the PG hole, though. Sure made doing my conversion much easier!

FYI, my wife's '08 saiga .410 has the PG hole, too.

Carl

I went through a stack of six 7.62's at the PDX show last week. There were four '09's and two '08's. Of the six, only one had dimples, and it was an '08.

Thirtycal

Edited by ThirtyCal

I was told that the dimples strengthened the metal, like cross breaks strengthen the sheet metal used to run the main runs in your homes heating system. I think they are more cosmetic then useful. Some guys on this forum get all giddy for dimples.

I say "I don't need no stinking dimples"..... :smoke:

I was told that the dimples strengthened the metal, like cross breaks strengthen the sheet metal used to run the main runs in your homes heating system. I think they are more cosmetic then useful. Some guys on this forum get all giddy for dimples.

I say "I don't need no stinking dimples"..... :smoke:

+1 Neither my Saiga 7.62x39 or my GP WASR 10/63 have dimples. Both run flawlessly and have minimal mag wiggle! Dimples are good for resale, but I don't plan on selling! :haha: :haha:

The dimples are not to stop mag wobble as many believe. They are "coin marks". Coining strengthens the weak point of the receiver, the mag well opening. The Russians often carry and fire holding the mag, use the mag as a bipod, strike opponents with the mag, drop rifles on the mag, break out windows with the mag, and those long mags often snag on just about anything - so the mag well area was strengthened to better deal with the additional stresses. Coining is a very common technique used in the steel stamping industry.

Honestly though, I don't see anyone abusing an undimpled receiver to the point of failure.

Oh man now I really gotta get a saiga!I was gonna get one either way dimples or not but the dimples just sweeten the deal.Maybe the Manufacturer realized customers want this feature and I doubt it adds much if anything to production cost. There's guys out here on a local for sale forum (California) asking a premium for dimpled saigas.Seems like the prices (at least online) have gone down a bit too,around 350-375 range.This is all good news for guys like me looking to buy their first saiga.So if a saiga has dimples is it also a sure thing that it'll have the PG hole cutout?

So if a saiga has dimples is it also a sure thing that it'll have the PG hole cutout?

From what I've read here, these new imports with dimples do have PG holes pre-cut.

But myself, along with many others here, who have '06 dimpled receivers, do not have the PG hole pre-cut.

So if a saiga has dimples is it also a sure thing that it'll have the PG hole cutout?

From what I've read here, these new imports with dimples do have PG holes pre-cut.

But myself, along with many others here, who have '06 dimpled receivers, do not have the PG hole pre-cut.

Ok thanks shooter.I had assumed that if their were dimples the PG hole was also a given,but apparently before this new mid-09' shipment it was just a random thing and their was no way of knowing unless you took a look inside.Alright now to decide if I should buy 1 or 2 saiga. :super: Oh and by the way even though I'm in Cali I'm definitely doing a conversion.

What's the bid deal about dimpled receivers? Mine doesn't have dimples yet it works flawlessly as Mikhail Kalashnikov designed it to work. The front trunnion and magazine opening hold the magazine in place solidly anyway.

Are the dimples solutions to a non existent problem?