Welders...share your knowledge please

I just ordered all my conversion parts and what do you use to fill the old holes?

The only welding I know how to do is carbon arc with silly bronze filler... :unsure: not even sure if that's the correct terminology.

I'm only going to be filling the old holes and then sanding them smooth so will this work?

I plan on having it refinished so will this affect the process?

All CONSTRUCTIVE criticism welcome

You know that a few people here on the forum sell plugs for those holes too, right? They just look like rivet heads that snap in place. I know Dinzag and CSS sell them. Not sure who else.

Otherwise, I'd recommend parcticing with a Tig if you can, or have someone else do it for you.

Corbin

I TIG weld them, then dress them smooth. I suppose, if you were good with a MIG welder, it could be done that way, but it would be harder than TIG.

Carbon Arc is a cutting process, BTW, not a welding together process.

My worry would be for the tempering of the metal, but if i were to undertake this i would...

Get a piece of flat brass(1/4" thick should work) to back the holes, then tig weld them with some fat filler rod. The brass won't mix with the steel and should make filling a lot easier... You could use aluminum too. Dissimilar metals you know?

But for what its worth, i didn't do this and i got some home depo plugs...

Edited by Nailbomb
I TIG weld them, then dress them smooth. I suppose, if you were good with a MIG welder, it could be done that way, but it would be harder than TIG.

Carbon Arc is a cutting process, BTW, not a welding together process.

+1 if you dont know how to TIG, bring it into a shop I have seen alot of mess Jobs of welding come in with major heat used.

+1 if you dont know how to TIG, bring it into a shop I have seen alot of mess Jobs of welding come in with major heat used.

Yeah this is kindof my worry, i'm used to burning on pipe, not a gun...

I don't worry about this on a bike though, am i making more of a fuss than i should?

Edited by Nailbomb

If you are going to try welding it yourself, practice on a piece of metal about the same thickness and make some same size holes to fill in the practice piece. Remember, the thinner material will melt away much quicker than the thicker pipe. TIG, a footpedal and pulse would help too. Also keep in mind the heat and distortion too. The rails inside the receiver that the bolt slides on must stay in some sort of alignment. Distortion in the trigger area could affect that.

The use of backing will really help.

Someone who strikes an arc and melts metal is not necessarily a weldor.