How do gas regulators help?

I've seen a few posts saying that people that have had trouble with cycling low powered ammo, have fixed that problem with using gas regulator plugs. (I can't remember who makes them, but I thought there were at least 2 different manufacturers)

So help me understand............

A factory S12 gas plug has two settings; 1 and 2.

1 is restricting gas, for use with high powered ammo.

2 is wide open, allowing all gas through the ports and block, for use with low powered ammo.

Am I right so far?

If so, how can any type of regulator plug help a gun that does not cycle low powered stuff, to then cycle that same ammo?

I mean, a regulator can only restrict more gas on varying levels, it can't allow more gas in, than what the gun can already allow on a wide open setting.

What am I missing? :unsure:

I think it has to do with the shape of the rear of the plug.

Instead of a simple angle cut, the one Gunfxr makes seams to direct the gas

back into the gas tube better by using a shaped porting method.

If this is incorrect someone please advise.

I was going to get one but my gun cycles everything I have fed it so far.

OK, so the shape of the inside of the regulator. That makes sense.

I'm not sure if mine will have issues or not (she's in pieces and some of her insides are in Cobra's shop at the moment :D ), but I've been wondering about the regulator plugs, and never understood how they worked.

check out this photo and you will see what I mean.

http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1724

Thanks for the link.

Shit, $35 is worth it simply for not having to use a tool to press in that damn detent.

I'll have to try one out, if I have problems.

I think you still need to depress the button/detent with this.

Thanks for the link.

Shit, $35 is worth it simply for not having to use a tool to press in that damn detent.

This is what it says in that link:

Other improvements of Gunfixer's plug... It is finger adjustable, unlike the factory plug which requires the locking pin to be depressed with a tool to change settings. With Gunfixer's plug you can turn it by hand without manually depressing the locking pin.

Thanks for the link.

This is what it says in that link:

Other improvements of Gunfixer's plug... It is finger adjustable, unlike the factory plug which requires the locking pin to be depressed with a tool to change settings. With Gunfixer's plug you can turn it by hand without manually depressing the locking pin.

I stand corrected sir :rolleyes:

If you have read what Mike at MD arms posted on other threads and I think it's at the MD arms website. The gunfixer gas plug helps with OVER GASSED firearms. So that you aren't slamming the bolt back and causing undue stress. If it isn't overgassed then it won't help much.

pretty much if you can cycle low brass and high brass on setting 1 then the plug will help.

Edited by jacknast76

Since I actually designed the plug, I'll explain exactly what it was designed for.

When I bought my S12 (what would now be the first one), it was a 19" barreled gun w/4 ports. It would cycle the low brass elcheapo shells, but they just sort of trickled out the side and landed at your feet. I wanted this better, and wanted to be able to change the settings manually, without tools, as I wanted to use the gun in 3-gun comp. I also changed the end where it meets the piston (puck), to keep the gun cleaner, and more efficiently direct the gas to the piston, as I felt it could work better.

I made my plug to have 3 settings.

Setting 1 was to more or less duplicate the setting 1 of the factory plug, except it is actually slightly more restrictive than the factory plug. I felt that the gun was just slightly overgassed when using 3" shells on setting 1.

Setting 2 was more than setting 1 on the factory plug, but not as much as setting 2 on the factory plug. This was to be used with the heavy 2 3/4" shells, at least the ones that wouldn't cycle on setting 1. It was later proved, in my gun at least, that slugs, for instance, would indeed cycle on setting 1. I also felt that setting 2 on the factory plug was a bit much for the really heavy 2 3/4" loads.

Setting 3 was to be for the low brass elcheapo shells, fully wide open, not restricting the gas flow at all.

The redesigned piston end of the plug was to direct the gas flow directly to the center of the piston, as opposed to coming in from the side, and also to keep it more contained against the piston, and not let so much flow back around the end of the plug.

On the ones I produced, a 0 setting was added at the request of customers. It pretty much does as designed. It will occaisionally get stuck in some guns, and require breaking loose with pliers or such. Grooves have been added to the end on the newest model now in production to facilitate this. It does not require pushing in the detent with a tool to rotate, even if stuck. The fouling and wad debris will lodge in the gas channel sometimes, and this is what sticks it, along with differences in the guns' tolerances allowing fouling into the threads or around the end.

It will NOT make up for the "vodka special" two port guns lack of enough gas. If, when firing the elcheapo rounds, your bolt comes about halfway back and then goes back forward, this plug will not fix your problem. If your gun will cycle the elcheapo rounds, but only barely, it will more than likely help it out. If your gun slams the elcheapo rounds into the next county, it will allow you to turn the gun down, you won't even need setting 3.

Hope this answers any questions.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I have a 3-port S12 (supposedly the new "norm" coming from RAAC), but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Like I said above, for $35, just the ability to pull the plug without a tool is worth it to me.

Thanks again, Gunfixr.

So how does the Gunfixr gas plug not require pressing the detent pin? What holds it at each individual setting- friction?

Gunfixr's plug has rounded out pockets. With a deliberate twist it sorta clicks to the next setting.

Mike just added the Gunfixr gas plug to my drum order, so I should be able to do a comparison video with the stock plug vs. the new plug, using the same ammo. With the stock plug, I'm finding that the gun is sometimes short stroking the action with the lighter ammo. That's usually just when I do my rapid fire technique, which I use to make many semi autos jam. You can see the video

Corbin