Saigatech or Tromix DIY guard

I am in process of choosing compliance parts for my new S12 19" barrel to PG conversion.

I prefer the look of the original guard--but it's just way too much work. The Tromix and Saigatech look like they make this a fairly painless DIY project, but I am unable to decide between the two. (They just look too angular).

I will NOT be using a SAW grip--too big and clunky for me (although they have a great storage compartment).

I will most likely put on a US made grip (for compliance), so thinking an ACE AR to AK adapter with a MIAD or MOE grip.

Pics of your non-SAW grip set up appreciated!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony was pretty pissed about this when I told him. He says that you have never called him or emailed him about it, since he has never denied a warranty request on any Tromix product in the last 10 ye

I went with the Tromix DIY for one reason.   Tromix is a business member of this site.   I am sure the Saigatech part is good but I don't see them supporting this site and contributing informatio

Go with the Tromix. Easy to install and looks great.

Posted Images

I chose the Saigatech because it goes all the way to the back of the receiver, and covers the rivet hole back there. I am doing this on a bugdet, and don't plan on welding the holes - so I figured it was one less to have to hide. I wouldn't worry about them being too "angular" unless you are trying to go for the look of the S12k (Russian full auto).

I gotta go with Saigatech. I have two of Ray's and absolutely love them. They went on w/o a problem. I wanted to go with the AK grip, so that was the initial seller.

My boss has a Tromix. It looks very nice too. It is a little different in that there are are little round nipples welded on to the holes to increase the thread depth. Saigatech does not have these...only the width of the metal baseplate is threaded. So, maybe the Tromix has a leg up on the thread depth??? Also, Tromix uses slightly smaller screw heads (not sure if the entire screw size is smaller, but I know that the heads are).

I think you're going to be just fine with either one.

I have a SaigaTech one, had to modify it slightly with the dremel, though it's fine now; my S12 is from 2001, I think the receiver is slightly different from the newer ones. I think the only two things I haven't modified are the ultimak rail and chaos quick clean out.

Edited by vbrtrmn
I got the Tromix one. I'd consider it not fitting for anything but the SAW grip. It's too far from the trigger guard, so the trigger is a reach, and the BHO is in the way. Get the Saigatech.

Huh? :unsure:

They are both nice solutions and now I have installed both. I prefer the looks of the Saigatech once installed!

However if you are truly almost completely inept, the Tromix is probably a tiny bit easier to install.

The Tromix has built in adjustment in case your Saiga12 OEM trigger guards holes are a little off, you just give it a little stretch. With the Saigatech you must take a small round file and do a bit of fitting. But the open area of the Tromix that allows that adjustment is the reason that I like the looks of the Saigatech better.

But when it comes to the Saiga .308 there is only one DIY solution, the Saigatech. Unless Tromix has something cooking that I do not know about...

I am a fan of the factory S-12 guard just because that's "factory" but if that wasn't an option I would have to choose the Saigatech. It just looks beefier. and I like the feel of the SAW grip that's used with it.

sKott

As my first post I say go with Saigatech.

I converted my S12 last night while it was not all that difficult the Saigatech was the easiest part.

There was only a minimal amount of fitting required and I like the way it looks.

I went with the Tromix DIY for one reason.

Tromix is a business member of this site.

I am sure the Saigatech part is good but I don't see them supporting this

site and contributing information the way the gentleman at Tromix do.

• Like 2

It's nice to see that some of our members are that loyal to the business members who actually make this site work. Thank you Dave.

• Like 1

It's nice to see that some of our members are that loyal to the business members who actually make this site work. Thank you Dave.

Yep! I agree we should support our business members!

I also agree that a lot of the info that makes this site worthwhile has been contributed by Tony and BobAsh of Tromix.

However, Skiboatsp, owner of Saigatech, is a member here and has done more then most to further the general knowledge. His part was born out of member's comments on how much they liked his conversion piece that he first employed on his own gun. I know I was one of them that wrote him and asked if he would consider building me one!

I had a Saigatech trigger guard on my S12 before the Tromix part was even available. I am seriously considering the Tromix handguard for the S12, if only one could be found ... ;)

On the other hand I see a LOT of Tapco Galil handguards in use on member's S12, but I have never noticed Tapco as a vendor here. Remember that until recently Tapco was a direct vendor.

I would assume that vendor loyalty can be achieved without making all of our guns look like catalog pieces. I have supported vendors here with my money and by trumpeting their wares and services when I write about Saiga's on other sites. I also steer members from other sites here as the source for Saiga information.

Hell just pick the part that you like, it will be hard to go wrong!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

The play in the tromix DIY made my life incredibly easier during conversion.

I have recomeneded it to others, just like i'm recomending it to you.

Also i don't care for the extra bulk of the extra metal along the bottom of the reciever. I find the tromix less obtrusive.

I am in process of choosing compliance parts for my new S12 19" barrel to PG conversion.

I prefer the look of the original guard--but it's just way too much work. The Tromix and Saigatech look like they make this a fairly painless DIY project, but I am unable to decide between the two. (They just look too angular).

I will NOT be using a SAW grip--too big and clunky for me (although they have a great storage compartment).

I will most likely put on a US made grip (for compliance), so thinking an ACE AR to AK adapter with a MIAD or MOE grip.

Pics of your non-SAW grip set up appreciated!

I used the Tromix DIY with the CAA grip. I would recommend it highly. The only issue I had, and it was minor, is that to put the CAA grip on there, I had to route the grip out a bit around the screw hole to make it fit flush on the rifle....I guess I could have taken about 1/8" of material off of the mount on the DIY trigger guard too. Either way, it made the conversion an absolute breeze.

I went with the Tromix trigger guard. In the winter I wear cold weather gloves when I go to the range, and so I need a trigger guard that has plenty of room inside, and the Tromix is roomier than the Saigatech. Plus, as Nailbomb mentioned, the Tromix trigger guard's ability to flex in and out a little is great insurance for guaranteeing easy installation, since the exact location of the holes the trigger guard screws into in the bottom of the Saiga 12 receiver can vary a little from shotgun to shotgun. The only semi-drawback I see to the Tromix is that Tapco's SAW grip is the only one that is guaranteed to work with it out of the box. But with regular AK grips it is easy enough to modify them to work, so this isn't really much of a disadvantage. I was going to use a SAW grip anyway during my conversion, so it wasn't an issue for me at all.

I used Tromix, I really liked the opening of the trigger guard for a gloved hand. Plus, Saigatech didn't have a safety stop intergrated at the time. Tony's products have a really good reputation. I didn't know much about saigatech at the time. If I had to choose again, I would still go with Tromix.

You won't be going wrong whichever one you buy!

I really like the aluminum Saigatech guard on my gun. The small opening does not bother me at all but I live in a warm climate. I rarely wear gloves when I'm shooting, and when I do it's the thin "mechanix" gloves.

Thanks for the input. After all was said and done, I went with the Tromix, and will learn to live with it's looks. (I do like the Saigatech better).

Why?

I live in MN, and the larger opening is nice for gloves.

It comes pre-finished, so I have less work into it.

Cost $5 less than Saigatech. Also, I was able to order it from CSS with all my other parts, so saved on shipping AND I didn't need to run to the bank for cash, then get a USPS MO sent out--instant electronic satisfaction. ordered last night, shipped today.

I like the built in adjustability.

I went with the Tromix because:

- NailBomb recommended it to me (we're both using the same skeleton stock)

- It's Tromix....nuff said.

- I got a slight deal on it (from C.G.A. here)

- Like some have already said; I like the "openness" of it, as opposed to the solid plate of the Saiga-Tech.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. The poll is pretty even too. Pick one, buy it, enjoy it.

I went with the Tromix because:

- NailBomb recommended it to me (we're both using the same skeleton stock)

I have recomeneded it to others, just like i'm recomending it to you.

For some reason i find this funny... :lolol::haha: