Saigatech or Tromix DIY guard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony was pretty pissed about this when I told him. He says that you have never called him or emailed him about it, since he has never denied a warranty request on any Tromix product in the last 10 ye

I went with the Tromix DIY for one reason.   Tromix is a business member of this site.   I am sure the Saigatech part is good but I don't see them supporting this site and contributing informatio

Go with the Tromix. Easy to install and looks great.

Posted Images

Could the slot where the grip meets the receiver be too deep? I don't know how it sits on the receiver. (I'm thinking of my AR grip where is slips on to the receiver) They did say some modification is needed right? What kind of modification? Maybe as the grip was tightening down it started to pull on the trigger guard. Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but that's kind of what it looks like to me..

yeah you had to take some material off inside the grip so it would snug up, but if it would have been too much space then it would have bent out when I tightened the bolt. I did it very little bits at a time and kept checking it anyway, so I really dont think there was any gap.

Gotcha! :up:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brand new to Saiga's, and I ordered the AK-Builder kit. It was easy to install, with just minor drilling for the 2 front guard screws. I had the basic conversion (not including painting) done in less than three hours. I'm familiar enough with standard AK's but I've never modded anything before. I also attached a standard grip and a SAW grip and both work great. The standard grip required about 15 seconds worth of fitting and it's perfect now.

• Like 1

I can't comment on the Saigatech but I put my Tromix DIY guard on about two weeks ago. Easy to install, feels real solid even without blue loctite (after putting it on though that thing is going nowhere). I like the looks of it, and I like how it offers extra room for wearing gloves. Hardest part was removing the old trigger guard, and that was just time consuming not really difficult.

am i correct in thinking that Saigatech's standard S12 TG would work with original AK pistolgrip as well as SAW grip, like any AK would? I plan on using SAW grip, but dont want to limit myself to only that!!

Per his site, he has a separate model for the SAW grip and one for a regular AK style.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I chose "other". I use an ak-builder triggerguard. Sure it's a little more difficult to install and use with a pg, (drill 2 more mounting holes and cut a pg hole in the receiver), but I really like the look and function.

This is not true if you buy the complete kit, which I'm selling in my business section. It's actually very easy to install and you don't need to cut a PG nut hole.

All you need to do is mark and drill two holes for the front fasteners in the TG. Then just attach the included PG bushing with two screws, one in the rear TG hole that's already drilled in the receiver, and one you drill in front of the old TG slot hole (existing).

All three holes can be easily marked by placing the part where it goes, line up the hole on one end with existing hole, then mark the other end and drill.

I voted "Other"...

I like the AK Builder kit the best for several good reasons.

1. It's the most authentic looking AK trigger guard because it's made from an actual AK TG. The only thing different is, the two front rivet holes have been trimmed off. In fact if you want your S-12 to look as much as possible like an AK, you can substitute a regular five hole TG if you want, and just drill 4 holes instead of two. The kit even has a 4 hole threaded backing plate already, which sits easily on the floor of the receiver inside...(no holes to tap).

2. Another good thing about it is, it comes with a set of pre finished rivets you can opt to use instead of the screws if you have a bucking tool (or can make one like I did)

3. The whole thing is pre finished black (each individual piece).

4. It has a classic style selector stop included, which mounts in the correct place (between the front of the TG and receiver)to keep the selector from dipping below the receiver bottom.

5. As an option, you CAN cut a hole for a regular PG nut if you want it for authenticity, or already have a PG hole and are upgrading the TG.

6. There's even a template tool available for people doing a lot of these installs, which marks all the necessary holes (including 4 for the PG nut square) and it comes with the drills you need.

7. As another option you can get a PG reinforcement plate with it (if you do decide to use a regular PG nut it's optional).

The assembly...

post-1293-12655262951243_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12655263184479_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12655263514712_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12655263716747_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Tony was pretty pissed about this when I told him. He says that you have never called him or emailed him about it, since he has never denied a warranty request on any Tromix product in the last 10 years.

I had one of the older thin DIY units fail when I used a non-SAW grip with it (duh) and Tony sent me a factory trigger guard per my request. First Class.

Ak-Builder is best IMO.

But it's semi-confusing to install. It doesn't come with any instructions, and for some reason none of the holes in the TG were drilled to the correct size. Other than that, no problemos!

cimg1870y.jpg

Not confusing at all if you buy it from Cobra's Custom, a forum vendor. I am always here to explain or answer any questions my customers have with anything they get from me.

Not sure what you mean about the holes being the wrong size? I've never seen one that didn't work great with the fasteners (either screws or rivets) that come with the kit. If yours was off it must have been a rare defective one.

I'd get the Saigatech one IMO

Everyone and their mother seems to have the Tromix one. Now if you just happen to want the Tromix one, get it. But if you're like me and like being a lil different, get a different one.

Mine has the RAM trigger guard. It's not that bad except I did not like how short the screws were. So I went to the hardware store and bought some that were a lil longer and some nuts to go with it.

Anyhow. I didn't want the SAW style grip either. So I got the tapco traditional style grip. I had to buy the "kit" piece by piece but I got it the way I like it so it's all good.

Have a look.

Saiga12.jpg

Ak-Builder is best IMO.

But it's semi-confusing to install. It doesn't come with any instructions, and for some reason none of the holes in the TG were drilled to the correct size. Other than that, no problemos!

cimg1870y.jpg

Not confusing at all if you buy it from Cobra's Custom, a forum vendor. I am always here to explain or answer any questions my customers have with anything they get from me.

Not sure what you mean about the holes being the wrong size? I've never seen one that didn't work great with the fasteners (either screws or rivets) that come with the kit. If yours was off it must have been a rare defective one.

The holes in my TG and the selector stop plate were too small in diameter to accomodate the screws that came with the kit. I just had to drill them out, no big deal, but it was surprising that's all.

Also, a little piece of paper instructions would be helpful. I had to figure out about grinding the internal plate from the pictures on AK-builder's site.

You are right, I had the same issue with the threaded plate when I did my first one. I usually just spend time helping folks via PM. A lot of parts are like that with AKs so I just didn't think much of it. I'll write something up and start including it with future orders. Thanks for the input.

Closed poll...

results as closed.

Trigger guard choices

Tromix (72 votes [48.32%])

Percentage of vote: 48.32%

Saigatech (56 votes [37.58%])

Percentage of vote: 37.58%

Other--describe (21 votes [14.09%])