COnverting S-308 = Easy......Putting bolt carrier back in = AGHHH!

Seriously.....I am sleepy, angry, and frustrated. I converted my S-308 today with no problems. Not I am just at the last step of reassembly and the bolt carrier wont go in. I had trouble doing it even before the conversion. Am I just retarded or what am I doing wrong????????? AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to really push it down and or smack it and it will go in. If you used a stock G2 trigger, ou have to grind down some areas, use the old trigger parts to compare and youll see what you need to remove.

I used a Dinzag Arms S-308 FCG for the pistol grip. conversion. I thought everything was already fit for the S-308. What gives? I finally got it in but it was really tough........how can I fix this? Disassembling the rifle for cleaning is now a highe project........

Edited by SanSacto

When I did mine I had about the same problem, I used a G2 and cut everything like I should have. It seems that the saiga .308 uses a little shorter hammer and trigger sear (you can't completely copy it by cutting, so dinzags FCG is as good as your going to get unless you mill your own).

I think what I did last time I had my carrier out was to push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in.

Also be sure that you have your bolt in correctly and all the way forward so it will fit in the two little slots in the rails.

Hopefully some of that made sense :P

Edited by csspecs

I don't have a .308 but from what's posted on the conversion site: The .308 has a third bolt head lug, one more than a standard AK bolt. This would explain the short hammer and difficulty of installing the bolt and carrier on stock .308 Saiga's. I've even read that some conversions don't work properly unless the lower third bolt is lightly ground for clearance. Can anyone vouch for this assessment?

Well I'm not one to cut the third lug as that could lead to death and the like.... But in some conversions I would say that it may involve some serious mods the the FCG to make it work right. It's hard to get the carrier in with the factory FCG and it's even harder when you go to the G2.

I think what I did last time I had my carrier out was to push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in.

This works good for me. I noticed at the gun shop when I took it apart to wow everyone that it went in kinda hard. ALMOST extinguished my flame... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

This works good for me. I noticed at the gun shop when I took it apart to wow everyone that it went in kinda hard. ALMOST extinguished my flame... :rolleyes:

Yes! I just rediscovered that: "push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in"

... It makes all the difference.

BUT THERE IS ONE MORE POINT...:excl:

The bolt carrier rides on a rails at the top of the receiver.

There are 2 pairs of slots cut into these rails.

(A) A pair of slots at the stock end to let the bolt carrier pass through during disassembly.

(B) A pair of slots half way along the rails to let for the bolt lugs pass through during disassembly.

The (B) pair are less distinct, you might miss them at first glance. If you still don't see them, run your finger along the rail and you will feel them.

Using a hand file (I decided not to use my Dremel),

I widened the (A) pair of slots to nearly all the way out to the receiver walls.

The bolt carrier doesn't pop up through the slots in the rails when the rifle cycles because

- the recoil-spring guide rod holds the bolt carrier down.

I widened the (B) pair of slots to about 1/2 way out to the receiver walls. I took the bolt out of the carrier and used it to keep testing until the bolt lugs just passed through the slots.

The bolt lugs don't pop up through the slots in the rails when the rifle cycles because

- the recoil-spring guide rod helps hold the bolt lugs down,

- the remaining rail helps holds the bolt lugs down,

- if the bolt lugs rise up a bit they have factory-made groves in them to guide them back under the rail.

When I cycle the action:

The bolt carrier can't pop up through the pair of slots (B) for the bolt lugs because it is too long.

The bolt lugs can't pop up through the pair of slots (A) for the bolt carrier because they never get near them.

The result:

My Saiga .308 just hand cycles and fires real smooth like normal.

For disassembly, the bolt carrier just pops right out, and

for reassembly it pops right back in - PROVIDED I "push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in"!

REPOST: Some of my characters turned into smileys!

Yes! I just rediscovered that: "push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in"

... It makes all the difference.

BUT THERE IS ONE MORE POINT...:excl:

The bolt carrier rides on a rails at the top of the receiver.

There are 2 pairs of slots cut into these rails.

( A ) A pair of slots at the stock end to let the bolt carrier pass through during disassembly.

( B ) A pair of slots half way along the rails to let for the bolt lugs pass through during disassembly.

The ( B ) pair are less distinct, you might miss them at first glance. If you still don't see them, run your finger along the rail and you will feel them.

Using a hand file (I decided not to use my Dremel),

I widened the ( A ) pair of slots to nearly all the way out to the receiver walls.

The bolt carrier doesn't pop up through the slots in the rails when the rifle cycles because

- the recoil-spring guide rod holds the bolt carrier down.

I widened the ( B ) pair of slots to about 1/2 way out to the receiver walls. I took the bolt out of the carrier and used it to keep testing until the bolt lugs just passed through the slots.

The bolt lugs don't pop up through the slots in the rails when the rifle cycles because

- the recoil-spring guide rod helps hold the bolt lugs down,

- the remaining rail helps holds the bolt lugs down,

- if the bolt lugs rise up a bit they have factory-made groves in them to guide them back under the rail.

When I cycle the action:

The bolt carrier can't pop up through the pair of slots ( B ) for the bolt lugs because it is too long.

The bolt lugs can't pop up through the pair of slots ( A ) for the bolt carrier because they never get near them.

The result:

My Saiga .308 just hand cycles and fires real smooth like normal.

For disassembly, the bolt carrier just pops right out, and

for reassembly it pops right back in - PROVIDED I "push the hammer all the way down while holding the trigger down so that the hammer is held at the lowest point, then put the carrier back in"!

• 1 year later...

+1 on tying the trigger back to hold the hammer lower. I find that mine goes together easy if I push down and tuck the carrier/ bolt under the left rail and rock the right down and then forward. The bolt must be rotated clockwise to it's forward position before installing or it will never fit.

• 3 months later...

Didn't any of you guys RTFM?! biggrin.png

From page 16:

"3.4 CARBINE RE-ASSEMBLY

Re-assembly of the carbine is the reverse of disassembly.

WARNING: WHEN INSERTING THE BOLT SUPPORT WITH THE BOLT INTO THE RECEIVER IT IS NECESSARY TO MATCH THE BOLT PROTRUSIONS WITH THE RECEIVER SLOTS.

SINK THE HAMMER FLUSH, PRESS THE BOLT LEFT-HAND PROTRUSION WITH A FINGER AND MOVE
THE BOLT SUPPORT FORWARDS."

The translation is terrible, like the rest of the manual, but that does work and it's relatively easy.

I think modding the rails or the bolt in any way is unwise and potentially unsafe. At the very least, it will decrease your rifle's reliability, (and accuracy as well if you mod the bolt), and if you follow the instructions above, it's obviously entirely unnecessary. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Can the .308 conversion be done by only replacing the trigger itself, leaving the factory hammer intact?

Yes, keep your old FCG, get a S12 triger, cut the triger and weld it to the S308 FCG.

Now the 922R thing will come up, so you have to do a few other things, I use mags.

Can the .308 conversion be done by only replacing the trigger itself, leaving the factory hammer intact?

Why? :huh:

If you just follow the basic instructions from the damn manual that I posted above, you can use a Tapco G2 and have no difficulty reinstalling the bolt carrier.

Why? huh.png

If you just follow the basic instructions from the damn manual that I posted above, you can use a Tapco G2 and have no difficulty reinstalling the bolt carrier.

Because,

1) I do my own work and the hammer requires the most re-profiling just to fit (ie; clearing the cross-brace and the BHO) only to yeild no noticable improvement over the factory hammer already in place.

2) Re-installing the bolt carrier isn't an issue. Don't you agree?

3) I have the same damn manual. Manuals are for Newbs.

1) I do my own work and the hammer requires the most re-profiling just to fit (ie; clearing the cross-brace and the BHO) only to yeild no noticable improvement over the factory hammer already in place.

The amount of work for the hammer isnt really that bad. If you have a dremel or do any of the initial grinding for conversion the hammer is cake work

Edited by VR6Shooter

The amount of work for the hammer isnt really that bad. If you have a dremel or do any of the initial grinding for conversion the hammer is cake work

Agreed. The point being: There is no benefit to removing the factory hammer only to grind the new hammer to match....that's like buying a new car and replacing the windsheild the same day. The improvement comes in the trigger, not the hammer.

I suppose I should have made my initial post a statement rather than a question. If I don't know by now....

Why? huh.png

Because,

2) Re-installing the bolt carrier isn't an issue. Don't you agree?

3) I have the same damn manual. Manuals are for Newbs.

1. True, but replacing the hammer with a US-made one gives you one more easy compliance part.

2. Yes, I agree it's not an issue, but it apparently was for several people on this thread. That's why I posted the instructions above. That method is the most efficient way to reinstall the carrier; the way it was designed to be reinstalled.

3. I'll admit that I had a little difficulty putting the rifle back together when I first got her, (already converted). That's when I decided to rtfm, and it was actually enlightening, in this case. ;)

ymmv.