I recently bought my first Saiga (.223 rifle) and have started to modify it. Since I don't like the idea of going to jail, I'd like some help in staying 922r compliant. I saw several Saigas with their original forearms modified with holes drilled, so I just did that to mine. For now, I'd like to do put my .223 into the following configuration:

Original forearm

Tapco collapsing stock

Surefire 30rd. magazines

The Tapco stock and forearm are listed as 2 compliance parts. The Surefires are listed as 3 compliance parts. Since my rifle originally did not come with a pistol grip, does the Tapco stock really count as 2 parts for compliance? I guess what I'm asking boils down to this: With just the two additions (Tapco collapsable stock with pistol grip and Surefire mag), is my rifle 922r compliant, or do I need one or more US made parts to be legal? Thanks!

So you're not moving the FCG forward, right? You're using one of those pistol-gripped stocks that mounts to unconverted Saigas?

The US made mags and stock will bring you down to exactly 10 foreign parts, and you're compliant.

But because you have a pistol grip, if you take out those US made mags, and stick in your factory 10 rounder (or any other foreign made magazine), you will no longer be compliant.