Are homemade part considered US parts

I just got my .223 and am having the trigger moved forward so I can install a thumbhole stock. If I make the stock myself is it considered a US made part? Do I have to stamp the wood to prove that it was made by me in the US?

No, if you make it in Any City, Any State, USA, it's considered to be made on the moon. What do you think?

No stampings or other marks are required by law.

Some folks advise making pix of the process, if you're that concerned about it.

Thanks for the answer. I assumed it was all legal until I talked to the guys doing my conversion, and I asked them if I should stamp it and they had no answer for me and then started thinking out loud and said they didn't even know about the making it myself. Just made me worry.

Just didn't want to end up in an orange jumpsuit or what ever color they make you wear on the moon.

I should correct what I said, I don't want people to think that if they go to a gunsmith to get their conversion that they are going to get someone who knows nothing about 922r. I actually talked to an assistant in the shop not the gunsmith, he was out for the day when I went in.

Devil advocate:

- What if the wood comes from Russia? I have a nice piece of Russian wood and want to carve a stock and hand guard from it. :rolleyes:

- What if the Russian piece of wood has already been shaped in the form of a stock but I want to carve a different shape? :unsure:

- What if the Russian piece of wood is a stock and I want to sand (which will change its shape) and refinish it? :P

Devil advocate:

- What if the wood comes from Russia? I have a nice piece of Russian wood and want to carve a stock and hand guard from it. :rolleyes:

- What if the Russian piece of wood has already been shaped in the form of a stock but I want to carve a different shape? :unsure:

- What if the Russian piece of wood is a stock and I want to sand (which will change its shape) and refinish it? :P

This has all been covered previously.

- Ironwood Designs gets their wood from all over the world. It's not the raw material, it's the MAKING of the part.

- The ATF has ruled that the function of the part must change. To answer your question, we need to know: Is it a stock blank or a complete stock? If it's just a stock blank, have at it. If it's a complete stock, it's only good for US made pistol grips (the function must change - re the revenuers)

The search function exists for this, you know (so we don't have to repeat ourselves all the time)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=33792

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=24006

Edited by nalioth