New Saiga owner conversion help...

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Saiga rifle. I'm in the process of converting my Saiga, however, I'm stuck at the fore end. I can't seem to get it off. I was told to removed the fore end retainer screw and it will just come right off. Well, first, I can't find any screw holding the fore end on and nothing else seems to be holding it in place.

Hopefully someone can give me some assistance.

When I did my conversion I ran into the same problem once because I forgot to remove my gas tube.

My screw was missing too, but I just figured that the guy I purchased it from lost it.

After looking at my brother's Saiga I noticed that his forend didn't have notches in the side like mine did to help keep his gas tube in place.

When I did my conversion I ran into the same problem once because I forgot to remove my gas tube.

My screw was missing too, but I just figured that the guy I purchased it from lost it.

After looking at my brother's Saiga I noticed that his forend didn't have notches in the side like mine did to help keep his gas tube in place.

Well, still nothing....I have the gun broke down as far as I can get it. I'm apparently missing something, cause I can not figure out how to get the fore end off.

All the threads on the internet have all said the same thing, removed the screw and lift off...haha Well, not only do I not have a screw, there isn't even a screw hole on the bottom of my fore end.

I just recently bought my first Saiga rifle, a .223. Not only was the gas tube nearly impossible to get off at first, I also ran into the same problem you're having with the forearm. Here's what worked for me:

I removed the forearm screw and tried everything I could to wiggle the forearm loose without any luck. Finally, I got a thin block of wood from the garage and placed the rifle with the muzzle of the barrel on the floor (carpeted and on top of a towel to protect the muzzle), then placed the wood at the end of the forearm nearest the receiver (pick a side). A few gentle taps of a hammer on the end of the wood had the forearm moving foreward.

The next problem I ran into with the forearm was that the pin under the barrel about two inches behind the muzzle (how's that for firearm nomenclature) was offset to one side. Once the forearm was moving forward a couple of inches this pin was digging into the stock causing it to bind nearer the barrel. When I got the forend off and noticed this condition, I tapped the pin so that both ends stick out evenly. This helped the next time I removed the forearm. I still have to use the wood block and hammer to get the forearm off of the rifle, but that's OK and easy to do. So longs as the rifle is solid when the forearm is on, I don't mind this a bit.

I hope this helps you out!

Edited by KELORGO
I just recently bought my first Saiga rifle, a .223. Not only was the gas tube nearly impossible to get off at first, I also ran into the same problem you're having with the forearm. Here's what worked for me:

I removed the forearm screw and tried everything I could to wiggle the forearm loose without any luck. Finally, I got a thin block of wood from the garage and placed the rifle with the muzzle of the barrel on the floor (carpeted and on top of a towel to protect the muzzle), then placed the wood at the end of the forearm nearest the receiver (pick a side). A few gentle taps of a hammer on the end of the wood had the forearm moving foreward.

The next problem I ran into with the forearm was that the pin under the barrel about two inches behind the muzzle (how's that for firearm nomenclature) was offset to one side. Once the forearm was moving forward a couple of inches this pin was digging into the stock causing it to bind nearer the barrel. When I got the forend off and noticed this condition, I tapped the pin so that both ends stick out evenly. This helped the next time I removed the forearm. I still have to use the wood block and hammer to get the forearm off of the rifle, but that's OK and easy to do. So longs as the rifle is solid when the forearm is on, I don't mind this a bit.

I hope this helps you out!

KELORGO,

Thanks, I'll try the block of wood theory next. I hope that will work.....I'm still confused how my fore end is held in place. There is no screw and no screw holes in it. But it's on and it's on good! Dang thing wont move. So, I'll try to tap it off with a block of wood....if that doesn't work I don't know what to do.

SPDSniper,

I missed the part of your first post that said you can't find a forearm retaining screw. On my rifle, the screw is under the receiver and immediately behind where the forearm enters the receiver. It is a flat-tip screwdriver style. That should be the only screw holding your forearm on to the rifle. Once I removed that screw, I was able to tap the forend off of the rifle with the wood block and hammer. As the one poster above said, you first have to remove the gas tube in order to remove the forearm.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Saiga rifle. I'm in the process of converting my Saiga, however, I'm stuck at the fore end. I can't seem to get it off. I was told to removed the fore end retainer screw and it will just come right off. Well, first, I can't find any screw holding the fore end on and nothing else seems to be holding it in place.

Hello,

You have to remove the srew located at the bottom rear of the handguard. Then I found it very easy to just tap it off from the rear off the handguard with a rubber mallet. It should slide forward just like that and then pull upper open end away from eachother and it will come off.

If you twist the piston chamber release lever up, it will allow you to slide the forend forward and down.