thoughts on 20 round Metal saiga .308 mags

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WW1 and WW2 could be justified for US involvement, unlike the current Iraq "conflict".

[zen] Information! [/zen]   I bought a battlepack of .308 today, mostly to demonstrate to a gun-ignorant friend exactly what a (strip)clip is.   In doing so, I've decided that it would be quite c

Damn good idea if you ask me. There are tons of 10 round strip clips out there. They save tons of time at the range actually. And they are legal to transport in the car "loaded" in my nazi state, s

Posted Images

First off, looks like you do great work, good job. Second, I'd be willing to kick you some cash and test one of these. All I'm shooting out of my .308 right now is Lake City Monarch brass reloads. I'm sitting on all my steel case .308 at the moment, but I do have a Portuguese battle back that I could be persuaded to open and shoot, though I'd like to keep it sealed up.

So if you want someone to test the mags using reloads, I'd gladly do it.

I found an importer that has a pile of g3 magazines with broken off feed lips and dented bodies for about .89 each. So I think I found my springs for now at least.

I'm waiting on a little feed back from a guy in town that had a few saiga rifles as well a forum member that got one. If I need to make any adjustments I'd like to know before I have more out then I can fix.

For all I know I might have a vodka special and all the measurements from my rifle where off. I do know that my magazines lock in all five of a dealers saiga .308s (priced at 1000.00 each so don't bother asking the name) So I'd like to think that it's perfect... But I find that it's best to be careful.

I found an importer that has a pile of g3 magazines with broken off feed lips and dented bodies for about .89 each. So I think I found my springs for now at least.

I'm waiting on a little feed back from a guy in town that had a few saiga rifles as well a forum member that got one. If I need to make any adjustments I'd like to know before I have more out then I can fix.

For all I know I might have a vodka special and all the measurements from my rifle where off. I do know that my magazines lock in all five of a dealers saiga .308s (priced at 1000.00 each so don't bother asking the name) So I'd like to think that it's perfect... But I find that it's best to be careful.

I am another following with great interest. I'd certainly be willing to be another test subject during development. I was about ready to sell my recently purchased saiga 308 because of the lack of hi-caps, but now I will be holding onto it for awhile to see how this goes. Best of luck to you!

I can tell you all these mags work great. I put 160 rounds through my test mag today without a single failure of any kind, testing in both my saiga 308-1's (16" and 22"). mike does Great work. When he does offer these for sale I think anyone not buying at least one would be foolish, these will probably be the only steel mags EVER available for the saiga 308. Plus the fact that they are US made (3 922 compliance parts) by a fellow board member, how can you go wrong.

OK I have the problems fixed with the soft point ammo.. Now it feeds fine.

I'm still looking for a good source of .308 magazine springs, or non-rusted surplus G-3 magazines for less then 3.00 each. So if you know of one that would be great.

G3 springs? Those Alloy G3 mags sell in bulk for about $3.00ea if you buy 100 or more last time I checked.They were used once then pitched for scrap so the spring is almost new.

Why the G3 mags instead of Ak or M14 mag springs?

I did have someone contact me about having 3000 or so springs that he had made for .308 magazines. So I'll probably be using them instead if they look nice.

I had been looking for a link to website that had g3 magazines really cheap, at the time I could not find it but I have it now. They cost about 1.10 each after shipping, so thats hard to beat.

I can tell you all these mags work great. I put 160 rounds through my test mag today without a single failure of any kind, testing in both my saiga 308-1's (16" and 22"). mike does Great work. When he does offer these for sale I think anyone not buying at least one would be foolish, these will probably be the only steel mags EVER available for the saiga 308. Plus the fact that they are US made (3 922 compliance parts) by a fellow board member, how can you go wrong.

Dont be so sure about it. Sorry, have to put in other way, not everyone can buy it. Here in New York we cant have anything more than 10 rounds if it is made after 1994.

Any plans for 10 rounders?

I have been planing from the start to make tens, it's pretty simple just need to chop about 3 5/8 off to make a 10 from the 20 round body. Just the 20s are more complicated to make so I'm getting that project done before moving on to 10s.

I have been planing from the start to make tens, it's pretty simple just need to chop about 3 5/8 off to make a 10 from the 20 round body. Just the 20s are more complicated to make so I'm getting that project done before moving on to 10s.

Guys from New Jersey will ask for 15 rounders. Get your measurements ready :)

Guys from New Jersey will ask for 15 rounders. Get your measurements ready :)

Good man BKLYN!!!!!

probably 1 3/4 or so for 15 rounds... one thing it that I can't make it lose so that it ill go in easy on a closed bolt, otherwise someone might be able to beat one more in with a hammer and I'd be in trouble.

probably 1 3/4 or so for 15 rounds... one thing it that I can't make it lose so that it ill go in easy on a closed bolt, otherwise someone might be able to beat one more in with a hammer and I'd be in trouble.

With a hammer???

Better yer 5 ton press, you will fit another 15 rounds right on top of it and then squash it like god did turtle

Update...

I've had family in town for the past week so I have not been working that much... Had some other stuff that I needed to get done as well.

As of tonight I have 8 magazine bodies done or mostly done. I did fry a bearing on my old metal band saw so I had to quit early, it's 20 years old so I'm not surprised. I have a shear that I need to go pick up that will speed things up a lot.

The followers are not going to be interchangeable with the factory magazine, they are a tad longer to allow all 20 rounds to stack up. The magazine that Greeneye was sent is the same design as this batch, only change is the rear catch.

Changed the rear catch design a little to be more universal, and went to cutting them from 1/4 plate. Before it was made by folding 16 ga steel into a catch so this is a little better, more consistent.

I do plan on making replacement parts for the factory magazines its just going to be a little farther off.

Edited by csspecs
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok test magazines are done, still have 3 up for grabs for 35.00 each with shipping. Sorry only one mag per tester

First three PM's win

I have the steel and parts ready for another 120 or so. I'll be starting on them soon. They will be a little more probably about 45.00 or so

Edited by csspecs

OK I have PM's off to the testers. I think I got about 10 PMs so sorry I did not have enough to go around.

Provided this goes the way I think it should I'll be able to have a large batch out in a couple weeks.

Anyone who sent me a PM is on the top of the list for the next batch.