thoughts on 20 round Metal saiga .308 mags

just got mine today and they are pretty cool. Very well built. Loads and feeds very well with the types of ammo I have. (sp, hp, fmj) Mags lock in easily and they are very tight with no slop in my gun. My only thought initially was that I might blast them off and duracoat them. After seeing them in the rifle, the finish actually looks pretty good with an ak. All around these are great mags and ccspecs should be commended for putting these together. Everyone with a 308 should have one or ten.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WW1 and WW2 could be justified for US involvement, unlike the current Iraq "conflict".

[zen] Information! [/zen]   I bought a battlepack of .308 today, mostly to demonstrate to a gun-ignorant friend exactly what a (strip)clip is.   In doing so, I've decided that it would be quite c

Damn good idea if you ask me. There are tons of 10 round strip clips out there. They save tons of time at the range actually. And they are legal to transport in the car "loaded" in my nazi state, s

Posted Images

Good to hear. Thanks Again.

No I don't have the steel yet for the 15s (I order sheets slit to the height of the mags I'm building). I have the sizes for the parts but I want to get the 100 I'm building off the work area before starting other sizes. The next run is going to be about 100-200 of reduced capacity mags 5s 10s and 15s.

Thanks again

It's on my to-do list. I have to track down one of each of the Saiga-100's a .308 and a .30-06.

I really want to make a .30-06 conversion with a 10 or 20 round magazine. I really think that would be cool, a lot of work for sure but cool anyway.

Talk to me when you're ready. I can provide dimensional info.

I'm sorry if I have not sent a reply to emails. I had a lot of other work to get to the past few days and have not had the chance to read my emails.

I had a welder melt about a week ago, it was old and I had planned to replace it but it went about a week earlier then planned.

Also I am probably going to switch to having the mags finished, probably a black oxide finish (should look more even and take less of my time). Thanks to the time savings the price will not change much.

A small adjustment has been made to allow for longer bullet types that are used in some match loads. Before the mags held normal NATO spec rounds only.

Steel came in for the low round count mags (enough to make around 300+). Steel yard I buy from had a foot of water in the supply yard so they did not want to run their fork lifts. Go figure. And I hate rain.

I'll have some of the blued 20s (30 or so) done in a few days. If you want to wait for the black oxide ones thats fine. I'll be getting back to everyone that emailed me in a day or two.

Thanks

Mike

I picked up the sample black oxide mag on Friday. Very very nice finish, hard and smooth as snot. It is hard to get a picture of, kind of like taking a picture of a black hole.

I've stopped work on the blued mags, no point working that hard to get an "OK" finish when I can have them done for a reasonable fee and they are perfect. I slid them over to my pile of uglies, one day it may be worth it to blast them and redo the finish, for now I'll just make more.

I dropped off 60 to the black oxide people, they said something like Tuesday or Wednesday they will be done (they don't work weekends, and they had some .50 bmg barrels ahead of me).

th_DSCF8796.jpg

th_DSCF8797.jpg

th_DSCF8799.jpg

I picked up the sample black oxide mag on Friday. Very very nice finish, hard and smooth as snot. It is hard to get a picture of, kind of like taking a picture of a black hole.

I've stopped work on the blued mags, no point working that hard to get an "OK" finish when I can have them done for a reasonable fee and they are perfect. I slid them over to my pile of uglies, one day it may be worth it to blast them and redo the finish, for now I'll just make more.

I dropped off 60 to the black oxide people, they said something like Tuesday or Wednesday they will be done (they don't work weekends, and they had some .50 bmg barrels ahead of me).

Seriously handsome looking. Got my knickers in the twist waiting for the 15-rndrs.

Mike, Nice touch on the finish. :wub: As sun came up, put 120rds through the 6 mags I got from you. Even the original (Rocker) still functions flawless after 700+rds. :killer: Your steel or FBMG's are the only mags used now. Had one loaded up for a month, and function same as just loaded. :smoke: P.S. Wouldn't want to get baby kitty blood on those new pretty finish. :lolol::lolol:

Thanks

Good to hear the old test model is still kicking. The nose cap under the front tab may be a little over kill but there was plenty of space for it and it makes setting the front tab faster. So other then a few cuts and welds extra its not a hard thing to do.

Just about every tester had their own observation of little tweaks and improvements. That was really cool, one of the only ones that I have not yet used was SOPMODs comment on making the floor plate more internal. I'm working on it but that is more complicated then it sounds, its a bit of a balance as your trading strength for size.

• 2 weeks later...

The 15s got put off. My partners on this project wanted to keep making the same thing for a good run.

I have more then 200 of the 20s sitting ready to go. Once I get some sold I'll be setting up a website and becoming a paying business member instead of just a normal contributer (I really mean that jugg, please don't drop the hammer on me :P )

Edited by csspecs
The 15s got put off. My partners on this project wanted to keep making the same thing for a good run.

I have more then 200 of the 20s sitting ready to go. Once I get some sold I'll be setting up a website and becoming a paying business member instead of just a normal contributer (I really mean that jugg, please don't drop the hammer on me :P )

k - have to go cry myself to sleep now... sucky end to a sucky day :-(

I had not checked this thread in a while. It is good to know that csspecs has his mags in production. It kind of makes me rethink acquiring a Saiga in .308!

Hey don't make me feel bad.. I had everything set to go making 15s 10s and 5s but no that was to much work "why make other sizes only a few people can use them"..

Yeah not my fault. Sorry

We understand when something is completely out of your hands. The logic is flawed, however. 5 and 10 round mags have the largest possible target audience, not the smallest. However, It does make sense to make the 20's in bulk right now/ should a ban ever come down you will have no choice but to make reduced capacity mags after the intro of said ban. So you may end up making those reduced capacity mags anyway, only not by choice.

***I wanted to add, these mags look amazing CSS! You've done a really impressive job designing and manufacturing these.

Edited by JK-47

Well I just keep telling them "this aint burger king, you don't get to have it your way. You get it my way or you get nothing at all" :lol:

I really did want to make 15s and 10s but the vote was 2-1 so I made 20s. I did cut off a handful of mags to 10 but they are already gone. Well except for my test model but it has tire tracks gravel scrapes and other battle damage on it already, so I doubt I'd try to sell it. I do like the size of the 10s they are almost exactly four inches tall, really a handy size and they don't make the rifle awkward like the 20s can.

Oh yeah.. found out that two mags can stop a shotgun slug (rejects from a few batches back, not working mags).

Well I have plenty of 20s to go. I won't send out something that does not pass test feeding, and I'll replace them if they don't feed right for you.

But no one is able to say they never had a mistake happen.

Just a note, if you want 10s or 5s and would be ok waiting a few weeks to maybe a month or so, send me a PM with how many you want of what size. That way I can show my partners on this that they are a item people want.

Well I have plenty of 20s to go. I won't send out something that does not pass test feeding, and I'll replace them if they don't feed right for you.

But no one is able to say they never had a mistake happen.

Just a note, if you want 10s or 5s and would be ok waiting a few weeks to maybe a month or so, send me a PM with how many you want of what size. That way I can show my partners on this that they are a item people want.

I ordered five and they arrived today. I'm very, very pleased. Ya done good. Thanks for a great product.

Hey this is my first post on this site. I just converted a S-308 using Dinzag parts. I am also interested in purchasing 2 of the 20's. I have a couple FBMG's but these look awesome. I guess I will PM csspecs when the funds are in order, next weekend. So am I correct: 2 mags should cost $103.00? Sounds fair.

Hey this is my first post on this site. I just converted a S-308 using Dinzag parts. I am also interested in purchasing 2 of the 20's. I have a couple FBMG's but these look awesome. I guess I will PM csspecs when the funds are in order, next weekend. So am I correct: 2 mags should cost $103.00? Sounds fair.

98.00 including shipping actually.

I'm not a mean guy that hates PMs by the way :haha:

So if you or anyone else has any kind of odd question feel free to ask.

I know sometimes a forum guest has a question so you email me here.

Emailaddress.jpg